Groupon Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Groupon CEO Rich Williams
Rich Williams

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Unlimited vacation time, fun environment, no dress code, young employees, alcohol at work (in 123 reviews)

• Good work life balance is better (in 72 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation may not the biggest perk here, but the culture, the people and the work/life balance make up for this (in 34 reviews)

• Upper management is not transparent (in 63 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Work hard, play hard"

Current Employee - Business Development Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Business Development Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay and great benefits. Solid training program. Large upside provided you're willing to put in the work and go the extra mile. Fun culture that moves fast providing employees with a wide range of small-medium business acumen from a variety of sources.

Cons

Company is working to discover its next step and identity after massive growth early on. As a result, some of the core values and goals are not always aligned with day-to-day objectives. Poor interdepartmental communication can be frustrating at times yet this is likely the case in some degree at most companies. No matching 401k.

Advice to Management

Invest more in your people. Significant passion remains in your reps yet fades when many of them start to feel more like a number

"Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Groupon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance, nice location (Seattle), great people. A lot of opportunity to learn new stuff and grow.
    The new CEO is very good. Rich has a plan and he's executing it properly.

Cons

No 401k match, swinging stocks. Sometimes bureaucracy becomes intolerable.

Advice to Management

Reduce management overhead and focus on deal automation.

3. "Qualifying the Groupon work deal"

Former Employee - Deal Qualifier in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Deal Qualifier in Chicago, IL

I worked at Groupon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young and fun atmosphere; friendly team managers; wonderful location and building

Cons

The starting pay could be better; certain tasks become repetitive after awhile; the path to moving forward in the company was not clear

"Challenging and fun!"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Groupon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Engaged and goal-driven colleagues make working here efficient while being fun.
    I like the flexible work hours, even though working after hours can be necessary.

Cons

Being a public company work revolves around quarterly results. It's good to stay short-term focused but bad for long term improvements.

"Divisional Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Divisional Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Divisional Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of room for advancement and compensation is competitive. There is a fantastic sales training program that give you the tools you need to succeed. Culture has shifted but it still a very positive environment.

Cons

Lack of transparency into methodology of how targets are set. When large changes occur there is often a bottle neck in finance/commissions to finish career progression and compensation plans for reps, which causes a large amount of unrest.

Advice to Management

Don't make changes without fully thinking them through.

Groupon Response

Jul 19, 2017

We appreciate your feedback, so thanks for taking the time to write a review. Our Sales training program is something we’ve put a lot of work into, so it’s great to read that you find it helpful... More

"Growth space for junior and mid-level engineers"

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Groupon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Enough space for junior and mid-level engineer to grow. Many interesting projects to explore and learn.

Cons

Stock price hasn't been strong in last couple years, making the package not as attractive as other web companies.

"Good money and fun environment."

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm in sales, so when I'm making money I'm happy. I love my friends at work and the casual environment that we have. The vacation policy is pretty nice and I am able to take more trips than most of my friends at other companies. Healthcare benefits are solid.

Cons

401K is not matched. Not a ton of room for growth in sales. Hours can be very strict - as in you have to be in at this time and can't leave before this time. It would be nice to work somewhere where if I get there early, I can leave early.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible with your tenured, well performing sales reps. Too much structure for sales people will have them looking for another job very quickly.

Groupon Response

Jul 19, 2017

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us! It makes us happy to read that you’re enjoying both the people and environment here; those two things are what we’re most proud of as an... More

"It's a Great Starter Sales Position"

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Groupon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

unlimted PTO, met great friends there, fun office environment, good location, lots of outings, perks, etc. you can make good money there if you're good at your job.

Cons

they are not very flexible allowing people to work remotely, which for a sales position that you can do anywhere and all your activity is tracked to ensure you're working, seems strange. VERY strict on being "on time" which agian, strange considering we call into different time zones, so you would think as long as we are working our 8 hours, we could more or less make our own schedule around what works best for ourselves and the merchants we talk to. There are a lot of changes being made right now, particuarly with the Phoenix office and some changes in management have been questionable. Lots of good people left or got fired unfortunately, so the things that once made this office super awesome seem to be going downhill

Advice to Management

allow more freedom to your employees regarding flexibility in schedule, treat them like adults until they give you a reason not to. be more open and transparent so there is more trust, and do everything in your power to ensure that the employees can close good deals and make good money, at the end of the day, thats why we are all here. Reward good performance and don't let little things like walking in at 8:01 deter someone's career advancement opportunities;.

"Customer Service representative"

I worked at Groupon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked from home.Benefits. Great hours.

Cons

Company outsourcing and restructuring.

Advice to Management

Keep CSR stateside. Customers preference also. Transperency matters.

"Awesome, collaborative work environment + great place for highly motivated individuals who are open to change"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Groupon has global, quarterly 'all hands' meetings for all employees to join, as well as open Q&A sessions following the all hands. I've never seen this before at a previous employer, and it's really cool to have this kind of visibility to the senior leadership team, hear about how our work impacts the business, and check in on where we stand with company goals. This transparency is really important!

It's easy to get used to this aspect of the work environment as an employee/no longer find it exciting once you've worked there a while, but the office space is very unique (visually fun, open layout) and the dress code (or lack there of) is very liberating. I feel as though people truly come to work as themselves and are more inclined to collaborate in this environment - that doesn't get old. It's really freeing (still after 1 year) to get to wear whatever to work every day + come into an office that's laid back, where people are working hard, and it's a fun environment.

I also enjoy how the company empowers you to take ownership of your work. If you are self-motivated and driven, your opportunities are endless at Groupon.

A team I work closely with is the sales team. They've got a top notch 12 week training program that a lot of other companies don't offer. They do a ton of promoting from within, and it's inspiring to see the impact our sales reps can make on local businesses.

Cons

Groupon offers a strong benefits package, but currently there is no 401k match.

The company implements change (usually for the better) frequently, so if you aren't adaptable to change, this may not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Put people first, always. Fully investigate the long term people impact of changes being made. Continue to be transparent.

Showing 478 of 1,862 reviews