Groupon Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 22, 2017
1,707 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,707 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Unlimited vacation time, fun environment, no dress code, young employees, alcohol at work (in 121 reviews)

• Relatively well paid given work-life balance (in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation may not the biggest perk here, but the culture, the people and the work/life balance make up for this (in 32 reviews)

• Upper management is not transparent (in 60 reviews)

1. "Groupon"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Support Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Support Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Groupon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tons of friendly and talented people. I worked in technology for the NYC offices. They are closed now.

Cons

Presently they are restructuring. Seems like they are headed in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Stay true to the company's manifesto. I hope you guys continue to do well.

"You'd be selling coupons to people who have resisted coupons for years"

I worked at Groupon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free vitamin water is nice... if you like vitamin water

Cons

You: Hi this is Tom from Groupon, did I catch you at a bad time?
    Them: yes, you've called 100 times. Please stop calling

repeat x 1000

"A mistake"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Groupon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Standard tech company benefits like free soda and funky furniture.

Cons

My manager was completely incompetent. Luckily he has since left the company. Some of the people I worked with here were very conniving and threw their teams under the bus in order to score a few points from management. Groupon tried to bill itself as "the next Amazon" but did not have the engineering talent or management structure to support that claim. Instead, you got a lot of horrible leaders who were only in their position because they happened to be there when Groupon was growing. As a result, GRPN (at least in engineering) was a revolving door. I saw several people start with enthusiasm only to leave after a month.

Now that the company is older and clearly is not the next Amazon, you would expect that they would change their management style and try to retain engineers, but from what I have heard they are actually doubling down on the aggressive "bro" culture and shipping jobs to India or Ireland.

Advice to Management

Focus on hiring talented people and retaining them for more than a year. A good engineer has a multiplying effect. They may not immediately meet the need of a project but their contributions in the 1-2 year timeline will be huge especially when coupled with other good engineers. If you create an "up and out" culture you only reward the people who build for short-term success but leave your business in a bad position in the long term.

"WORST place to work"

Current Employee - Merchant Development Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Merchant Development Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon (More than 3 years)

Pros

vacation policy can be great but be careful it comes at a price, can only take advantage if you hit your numbers, relaxed dress code, and its close to Target... other than that there are no positives.

Cons

There are not very many positives, management does not care about employees, everyone is just a work horse at this coupon sweatshop. Product is subpar and most merchants hate working with Groupon. This company will chew you up, spit you out within the blink of an eye.

Advice to Management

treat your employees like humans, not robots with serial numbers.

"Finance"

Current Employee - Finance in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Finance in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great culture, management, company potential

Cons

continue to increase accountability within the organization

Advice to Management

Keep the focus - with attention on a few big things

"Get out now"

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Groupon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Unlimited vacation hours
    -Free drinks
    -Casual environment
    -The Phoenix office had some great people in it
    -I can't speak for all the management there, but my manager was excellent and very supportive.

Cons

Where to begin? Here we go...

-Complete and total lack of transparency from upper management
    -Constantly changing the commission plan to such a point that it was hard if not impossible to figure out what we'd be making
    -Product nearly impossible to sell. Cold calling into small businesses. Groupon brand is tainted so getting foot in the door very hard.
    -Even if you CLOSE a deal the next part was getting the deal on the website which could take weeks and sometimes fall through completely.
    -We only would make commission based on how the deal performed online which is incredibly hard to predict. Sometimes a deal that was supposed to be amazing would bomb and next thing you know, for reasons out of your control, you've made no money AND you've gone on performance management.
    -About a year ago they took all the sales people and split them up into teams (or "verticals") that sell into particular industries. Health and Beauty, Things to Do, and Food and Drink. You had no say in where you went and it is widely known that Health/Beauty and Things to Do are much EASIER to sell than the poor saps who have to cold call into restaurants.
    -Anyone who wasn't on Food and Drink was making money hand over fist, closing bigger deals, and overall happier in comparison to the graveyard that is Food and Drink. Agents there drop like flies. It's a dismal place and being put on Food and Drink is essentially a knife in the back.
    -Management here values the wrong thing when making promotions. When promoting reps to management they care more about their numbers than actual leadership qualities which means that we end up with reps-turned-managers who have no clue how to actually lead a team.

Advice to Management

Your sales people make the company run. Start treating them well. Make big changes that reflect that quickly.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Account Repre in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Repre in Chicago, IL

I worked at Groupon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, you get how much you put into it, unlimited vacation, fun people.

Cons

Tech. company, constantly changing, not a ton of room for growth. Only thing that matters is if you hit your numbers.

Advice to Management

Focus on employees instead of hitting numbers.

"Working here was like being in an abusive relationship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Groupon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free La Croix and soda, the people who work there are mostly fun, there's a keg you can start drinking from at 4pm.

Cons

No career path, employees are treated like nothing more than a number, leadership is filled with clueless bros, the management style can only be described as the blind leading the blind, they refuse to fire people who are incompetent at their job but have no problem laying off 100s of people who's jobs have been shipped over seas.

Advice to Management

Realize you're terrible at your job and quit

"Deceiving"

I worked at Groupon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Your teammates during training become your best friends
    * Unlimited coffee and beverages offered
    * Depending on your position, you learn a lot about business and marketing

Cons

* Extremely poor management
    * Unclear directions from management
    * Not fully trained on internal resources and then are expected to know them
    * Very high turnover

Advice to Management

Be sure to over explain. I lost my job due to unclear information that I was not informed about earlier on during the program—I was never taught this specific information. Pretty much I lost my job because Groupon made a mistake and they did not want to take the hit so I lost my job. Management says they support your success, but they don't.

11. "Production Operations"

Current Employee - Production Operations Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Production Operations Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Groupon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very relaxed env. Unlimited PTO. Allowed remote work. Easy to switch teams internally

Cons

Little opportunities to climb hierarchy. Free fall stock. Compensation based on past experience not current impact.

Showing 1,707 of 1,781 reviews