Cover image for Groupon

70 Comments

Tech

469.9K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Groupon~301291
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great people and very international(in 356 reviews)
  • "Great Culture and as long as you perform well you can pretty much be your own boss and do anything you want.(in 220 reviews)
  • "Work / Life balance is good(in 155 reviews)
  • "Good benefits (would be great with 401k match and more tolerable work envt)(in 110 reviews)
  • "Salary and Work environment are good.(in 83 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Groupon and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years
    Featured Review

Great company culture with lots of opportunity to learn

Feb 16, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Non-hierarchical and supporting culture that moves at a fast pace, allowing for plenty of growth and learning opportunities. Plenty of flexibility and a strong diverse & inclusive culture across International.

Cons

Groupon is an ever-changing environment, we are always working on our next iteration. If you don't like change, then this won't be the place for you - but if you do, you'll see it as a big positive.

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Super Modern Workplace

Sep 19, 2022 - Wholesale Pipeline Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great team leadership. Open work space, your manager is on the same level as you, you could work right next to them. There doesn’t feel like there is a Hierarchy

Cons

Always changing. Not a lot of continuity. Unexpected layoffs.

3. Join the Groupon team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Solid company overall

Nov 30, 2022 - Merchant Development Director in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture and great leaders

Cons

Did not pay well relative to other similar companies.

5. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good Company but they're trying to figure it out

Jul 28, 2022 - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Super flexible- completely remote (in the US at least), people are helpful and understanding. Unlimited PTO is actually real here once you're hitting targets- Benefits are decent(401K & HSA matches, work from home stipend initially). Good work-life balance (In Sales at least) They have been pretty transparent with communications. "Diverse" compared to most tech companies out there (not in upper level management though). The product can be useful to small businesses. The people here are great.

Cons

Not the company they used to be 5-10 years ago- most business owners associate it with cheapness and low margins. Pay could be better- its not very hard to hit targets but commissions haven't picked up post covid. As a result they have been doing a lot of experimenting with the product to bring back revenues. They've been automating a lot as well and scaling back on cost- hopefully they don't reduce headcount which they've been hinting at for the last six months (again they are transparent about all this which I appreciate). As a result of all the changes and innovations some things get swept under rug because Account management is bogged down. New CEO is good and not afraid to talk to us often but a lot of times he uses language that doesn't really answer questions (high level rhetorical answers that don't address our concerns) Also there is no upward mobility for now they froze promotions indefinitely.

1 person found this review helpful

Groupon Response

Thanks for leaving a review about your Groupon experience. We sincerely appreciate the thought you put into your reflection - it's clear you care about the success of Groupon's future and are eager to help us succeed. We hope that our most recent earnings call, all-hands, and small town halls with the STeam leaders helped bolster your confidence in our ability to execute our turn-around strategy. As mentioned, we’re moving with a sense of urgency, and we believe our strategy will fundamentally reposition our business to grow profitably in a variety of economic cycles. We're glad to hear that while you're helping us execute this important work, you're able to enjoy the culture and benefits we offer to keep employees healthy, happy, and recharged. Thanks again for the feedback and all of your contributions to Groupon's success.

6. 1.0

Not a Place for Creative Work

Nov 29, 2022 - Creative Brand Team in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

The current creative team is one of the best I've ever worked with. It's a small group of extremely talented people.

Cons

Groupon used to have a reputation for producing fun work and being a great environment that fostered creative ideas with excellent executions across digital. Sadly, those days are long gone. The brand team is staffed with people who not only don't trust the creative process, but they think they write and design better than the creative team that was hired to create the work. The social media brand team in particular treats us like work horses there to execute their "creative" vision and subject us to endless rounds of feedback on what is essentially a 30 second TikTok video or single image instagram post. Further, the creative team has no support. Brand partners play creative director and project manager despite the fact that we have a creative director and two project managers on hand. During a recent round of feedback to the brand team, one of the project managers made us vote on which 3 items of feedback we were going to give the brand partners because the concern was any more than that might make the brand partners upset. It's a chaotic and dysfunctional way to work. In terms of promotions and career advancement, there are few opportunities. People who have been on this team for over 10 years are leaving in droves because no only are there no significant ways to progress, the team dynamics have become so toxic, it's not worth it to stay.

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Company has great opportunity - but a lot of work to do

Nov 22, 2022 - Sales Leader in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

At the core, it's a great value prop for consumers and merchants.

Cons

Lack of direction from the top

Groupon Response

Thanks for taking a moment to leave us a review! We're so glad to hear you love helping local merchants and consumers. We appreciate your reflective comments about the areas in which we can improve. We hope you also had a chance to provide this feedback internally, as we use tools like leadership feedback and our anonymous Pulse surveys to make changes to how we work. Thanks again for the review and all your contributions to Groupon's success.

8. 3.0

Good Company for entry level

Dec 5, 2022 - HR Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture and benefits, pay is average

Cons

Company is struggling with overall strategy and employees are being impacted

9. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Great Place for Advancement

Nov 14, 2022 - Merchant Development Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome work culture and work -life balance. Everyone is helpful and mission oriented. Resources for advancement are available.

Cons

Low salary compared to market value Initiatives change quickly so it can be easy to get lost in the chaos.

Groupon Response

Thanks for sharing this feedback about your time at Groupon. We're always happy to hear employees enjoy our culture and our people! We are happy to hear you recognize the resources for advancement and achieved the Merchant Development Director role! Regarding compensation, we take a lot of care to research current market rates and offer a package that we believe is competitive, inclusive of unlimited time off, bonus opportunities, and full benefits. Since we regularly review what we offer, we look to employee feedback to understand where we can improve, particularly through our Pulse surveys. We hope you had the opportunity to share that feedback during your time at Groupon. Thanks again for the feedback and the dedicated years you spent with Groupon. We wish you the best of luck on the next step of your career journey.

10. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Could be better

Dec 1, 2022 - Software Engineer in Data Warehouse in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are great, unlimited PTO, RSU amount was good, sign-on bonus was great

Cons

Management changes frequently I was laid off and they took back a large portion of RSU's that weren't vested Sinking ship

Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,546 Reviews
</>Embed

Groupon Reviews FAQs

Groupon has an overall rating of 3.6 out of 5, based on over 4,090 reviews left anonymously by employees. 57% of employees would recommend working at Groupon to a friend and 35% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Groupon employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.5 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Groupon. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

57% of Groupon employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also ra