KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Groupon

Engaged Employer

Groupon

Add a Review

Groupon Employee Reviews about "no dress code"

Updated Jul 14, 2020

Found 157 of over 3,579 reviews

3.7
Groupon Interim CEO Aaron Cooper
Aaron Cooper
Pros
  • "A great work environment with motivated relaxed team members and helpful senior management(in 206 reviews)

• "Wonderful Culture and no dress code(in 160 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Weird upper management at Rocket(in 84 reviews)

• "Company really care more about its merchants(in 71 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Groupon and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "no dress code"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Happy to be here!

Apr 11, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are so many pros to working here, but here are my top: 1. Progressive thinking: From the top down, Groupon leaders encourage employees to think outside of the box in every aspect. You'll never hear someone say "well, that's how we've always done it" 2. Inclusion and Diversity: Always top of mind and always an authentic company goal 3. Unlimited PTO 4. Pay is decent - I feel like I'm being paid fairly 5. Leadership: I'm impressed with my direct reports and the leadership team in general. They seem invested in my professional goals and they've taken steps to help me achieve them 6. Exposure: A lot of opportunities to get in front of the executive team and ask them questions 7. No dress code

Cons

Not a con for me, but might be for others. Groupon is an extremely fast-paced company and you need to be open-minded and able to see things from many perspectives. For those that like a lot of structure and consistency, depending on your desired position, I could see this being an awkward environment. If you're interested in working here, I'd take a lot of time getting to know the culture to make sure this is a place you feel you would thrive.

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Meaningless feedback from management lead to a frustrating experience

Jul 1, 2020 - Merchant Development Representative in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

--Easy goals, ridiculously easy to attain --Historic Office Building --No Dress Code

Cons

--Management is made of glass and won't give you anything less than dazzling feedback at every turn no matter how much you press them --Sales staff furloughed and some were invited back and some weren't--unclear about why people were asked back and some weren't --Every single member of the senior management team is white (You can see this on the "Our Leaders" tab of their website)

4 people found this review helpful
    3. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

High turnover, commission exaggerated, base pay 👎, not meaningful work, doesn’t help business.

Oct 7, 2019 - Business Development Representative in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

No dress code People are very social and nice Lots of company outings People are very young

Cons

We lost 2.4B in gross sales in 4 years - Groupon as an app looks old and doesn’t promote businesses but deals, the page looks dated and the product you’d have to sell is not a great product anymore, it’s not bad either, but it’s definitely not worth 54% of their margin. - no one wants to talk to you on the phone so a BDR position is just talking to people who want nothing to do with you - there’s a requirement for calls and “touches” a day, as well as move forwards and contracts closed. I feel like these numbers are pretty high and actually become demotivating so people exaggerate on their numbers to reach their daily goal to make it look like they’re working harder than they are. - you’re expected to close 6 sliver + contracts a month. You can do it, but depending on their level of difficulty rated by Groupon (which doesn’t mean anything) you can get paid only 1,050 from launch bonuses (before tax) on top of your base of 2k a month. So in essence, you can be making only 3k a month for working extremely hard if you’re deals don’t perform well (which they usually don’t bc ppl don’t buy Groupon as much as they used to) and be meeting the standard. But in actuality, many people don’t even close 6 contracts a month and close about 3 a month. So most people don’t even make 3k a month in their first year. - upper management is good, lower management is terrible

3 people found this review helpful

Employer Brand Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We're sorry to hear that you're not enjoying your time here. Sales positions at Groupon can definitely be challenging. That's why we offer extensive training, mentorship, and ongoing support to ensure all sales reps have the tools they need to succeed. We've also rolled out "Anytime Check-ins” to encourage regular, benchmarked conversations between employees and their managers. These check-ins can help level-set on expectations and provide a better path forward to meeting your goals. We're excited about our future and the growth ahead. Thank you for everything you do at Groupon!

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

unlimited PTO, no dress code, relaxed environment

Apr 15, 2020 - Merchant Development Representative in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

unlimited PTO, no dress code, relaxed environment, good benefits

Cons

low initial pay, slow growth, every day is the same, lack of fancy office perks (but the other benefits outweigh this)

5. 4.0

Great Culture

Apr 21, 2020 - Business Development Representative in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

culture is great, no dress code, great training program,

Cons

hard to get promoted, not a lot of transparency from leadership

Employer Brand Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! We agree, we know we have some of the best people (ever) here at Groupon. We're also really proud of our Inclusion culture and Diversity programs. You're right though, change can definitely feel chaotic. We're certainly undergoing some bigger changes as we fulfil our mission to become the daily habit in local commerce. We're glad to have you along for the ride, and thanks for everything you do.

6. 2.0
      Former Employee

Take your chances

Jun 11, 2020 - Business Development Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

No dress code Parties Game room

Cons

Great to have on your resume and good Entry level experience, until you realize how underpaid you are for your job title and racist this company is. Not worth it

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

high turnover, unprofessional, unorganized

Feb 7, 2020 - Senior Accountant in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Casual dress code Teams are young

Cons

Not professional Managers and directors are incompetent and chaotic High turnover in teams No procedures or best practices, everything is unorganized

1 person found this review helpful

Human Resources Representative

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. The foundation of our relaxed culture is always respect, so we're truly sorry to hear that your experience didn't reflect that. To build great leaders, we're investing in manager training programs, leveraging employee feedback (like yours), and encouraging "Anytime Check-ins" between employees and managers. You’re right, Groupon is a fast-paced organization where things can change quickly and often. We value that you took the time to share your experience with us— your feedback will help us continue to grow and deliver.

8. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Greedpon fired a 8.5 month pregnant woman

Nov 3, 2019 - Business Development in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Perks: Unlimited vacation, great health benefits, paid paternal leave, no dress code, beautiful office building on the River Walk in River North. I loved my clients and was deeply invested in them. Your clients are real entrepreneurs and small business owners and it is alot of fun to work with them - especially if you worked with them in the old days when everyone was making money. I stayed there for over five years.

Cons

The business is shrinking, and fast. We haven't had a new product in 10 years, each attempt is a cockamamie scheme that lasts 2 weeks. They are trying to nickel and dime everybody. It's really sad because the company has no competitors and could kill it. They have decided to take this frustration out on the sales people and the environment has become stressful and miserable. I literally felt myself and my fellow sales reps were devolving into cannibals. They fired 8.5 month pregnant rep in Sept 2019. This wasn't a bad rep mind you - this was a tenured sales person who had a difficult pregnancy. Out on her butt - the company refused to pay her a dime in benefits. I don’t think I’ll ever forget this cruelty. The newest thing is hire hundreds of college students and force them to make 80 dials per day and never promote them to the next level of rep so they could actually make a liveable wage and actually speak to potential clients instead of making fake dials. The newest managers are maybe 2 years out of college. There is very little investment in the employees, we all feel expendable and just a number. Promotions do not happen nearly fast enough. The company has never really stood for anything besides greed so that’s why they call it GREEDPON

4 people found this review helpful

Employer Brand Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughtful feedback with us. We're sorry to hear about your experience with management and the working environment in sales. It's our job to ensure every employee has a healthy work/life balance, feels supported by their management, and knows that their perspective is heard. We hope that you felt comfortable reaching out to your manager, HR, Ethicspoint (our anonymous reporting hotline) or the Compliance Team to discuss any specific concerns during your time with us. We're truly passionate about retaining and advancing our sales reps, which is why we've recently launched our Internal Talent Marketplace, to help employees explore and progress into new career opportunities. While we have a long journey ahead of us, we're excited about our mission to become the daily habit in local commerce. The feedback we receive from merchants and customers is incredibly important in ensuring that we’re approaching our problems with the most impactful solutions. We truly appreciate your feedback to help us continue to grow and deliver, and value that you took the time to share your experience with us. We agree-- we're ready to crush it! Thank you again.

9. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to learn business development fundamentals

Sep 2, 2019 - Business Development Representative in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Casual dress code, happy hours/team outings, commission

Cons

Deals don't sell like they use to, Groupon has earned a bad rep with a lot of business for how frequent they're contact through us, this results in getting hung up on as soon as you say Groupon

10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Very Low Pay

Jul 5, 2019 - Social Media Coordinator in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Met some fun people, overall casual working environment, no dress code etc. "Unlimited" time off was generally quite effective. Good health insurance plan offered.

Cons

Constantly shifting and often poor management which led to inconsistency in policy, and constant changes. Pay remained low without any bonuses or significant raises even with "promotions." Regular lay offs led to an unstable work environment, constantly training employees overseas to do our jobs which led to little belief in job security. Very difficult to move departments.

3 people found this review helpful