KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Groupon

Engaged Employer

Groupon

Add a Review

Groupon Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Jan 6, 2021

Found 84 of over 3,579 reviews

3.7
Groupon Interim CEO Aaron Cooper
Aaron Cooper
Pros
  • "A great work environment with motivated relaxed team members and helpful senior management(in 206 reviews)

• "Wonderful Culture and no dress code(in 160 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Weird upper management at Rocket(in 84 reviews)

• "Company really care more about its merchants(in 71 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Groupon and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Positive experience with a lot of growth

Apr 30, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been with Groupon for a little over 2 years. I have had a lot of success since working here. I have been able to internally transfer into a new position, so my experience with growth within has been very positive. The work life balance is absolutely incredible. I have had a great amount of work life balance in both departments that I have worked in. The work from home opportunities is also a huge benefit. Since being here, they have added in 401K matching opportunities as well which is a huge plus. Would definitely recommend working here if you're looking for an opportunity that entails growth and development.

Cons

Communication from Upper Management can be missing in certain situations regarding changes or organization updates.

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good for the unambitious

Jan 6, 2021 - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Pretty good pay/benefits - Progress is so glacial and deadlines are so lax that you won't have to work hard - Work life balance is excellent. I never worked nights or weekends

Cons

- A manager frequently yelled at people, and this behavior was tolerated. - Nothing changes. Upper management made the same promises of change on my first day that they made on my last day. - Your opinion only matters if you have a high job title. - Even if you have a high job title, your opinion only matters if it does not rock the boat. - The hiring bar is low. Consistently poor performers are not fired. It is frustrating to work with poor performers and it will slow you down, especially as an engineer.

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good to start with... Bad to end with

Sep 30, 2020 - Business Development Representative in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked for Groupon for about 2 years, so this info will be regarding pre and post covid19. -Honestly, they give a pretty great training program. I feel like my sales skills were really improved over time with their structure and the way they initially train their reps. -Free snacks in office (though they were limited) -Good benefits and "unlimited PTO" (post-covid19 unlimited PTO was pretty much non existent and you had to get PTO double or triple approved weeks in advance) -Great peers and coworkers (for the most part) -Fun in-office environment before covid19

Cons

-company is going downhill -upper management and management in general have no idea what they are doing -micromanagement that seems to be getting pushed from C level employees -major changes in commission structure (started out making a decent commission percentage, then they changed to a smaller commission percentage with a larger base pay, then they took commission away all together and only paid on launched deals -they are always doing some weird sneaky things with your money (I've personally had to call into HR to receive bonuses that were missed on their end, and I had a coworker that was missing nearly 5K in commission) -the merchants you will reach out to are either out of business or HATE groupon -they encourage you to harass merchants to the point of legal threat -constant Zoom meetings to chat about "feedback" on the new program Groupon has laid out... employees give challenges on how their newly enforced pitch has been going over with merchants while upper management tells reps that they just need to do better and keep pushing -petty petty petty environment, everyone is talking about someone else, make sure to have all your ducks in a line because even if you have something in your personal life, Groupon managers will bring it to your professional life -no real sense of a promotional process, I know successful reps that have been exceeding metrics for months going on years and are still not promoted, while other reps that got lucky with a high selling deal get promoted or low performers get moved to a customer service roll instead of getting fired -awful communication overall -Groupon as a company is corrupt, they lied to their investors about where their money has come from and I know numerous current and former employees that are caught up in lawsuits with Groupon

4. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

High turnover, commission exaggerated, base pay 👎, not meaningful work, doesn’t help business.

Oct 7, 2019 - Business Development Representative in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

No dress code People are very social and nice Lots of company outings People are very young

Cons

We lost 2.4B in gross sales in 4 years - Groupon as an app looks old and doesn’t promote businesses but deals, the page looks dated and the product you’d have to sell is not a great product anymore, it’s not bad either, but it’s definitely not worth 54% of their margin. - no one wants to talk to you on the phone so a BDR position is just talking to people who want nothing to do with you - there’s a requirement for calls and “touches” a day, as well as move forwards and contracts closed. I feel like these numbers are pretty high and actually become demotivating so people exaggerate on their numbers to reach their daily goal to make it look like they’re working harder than they are. - you’re expected to close 6 sliver + contracts a month. You can do it, but depending on their level of difficulty rated by Groupon (which doesn’t mean anything) you can get paid only 1,050 from launch bonuses (before tax) on top of your base of 2k a month. So in essence, you can be making only 3k a month for working extremely hard if you’re deals don’t perform well (which they usually don’t bc ppl don’t buy Groupon as much as they used to) and be meeting the standard. But in actuality, many people don’t even close 6 contracts a month and close about 3 a month. So most people don’t even make 3k a month in their first year. - upper management is good, lower management is terrible

Groupon Response

Employer Brand Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We're sorry to hear that you're not enjoying your time here. Sales positions at Groupon can definitely be challenging. That's why we offer extensive training, mentorship, and ongoing support to ensure all sales reps have the tools they need to succeed. We've also rolled out "Anytime Check-ins” to encourage regular, benchmarked conversations between employees and their managers. These check-ins can help level-set on expectations and provide a better path forward to meeting your goals. We're excited about our future and the growth ahead. Thank you for everything you do at Groupon!

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Non-competitive wages and do not value employees

Aug 23, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Health benefits, PTO, youthful culture

Cons

Grossly underpays. Upper management does not know what they are doing and there is no transparency. Promote people who are incompetent and unqualified. Management in Goods play the favoritism game. They say they are an inclusive and diversified company, but they definitely are not. Laid off hundreds of people over Zoom, very unsympathetic and unprofessional.

Groupon Response

Global TA Project Manager

Thanks for your feedback! We’re happy to hear that you were pleased with the benefits, culture, and work/life balance at Groupon. We’re sorry to read that you found upper management was lacking transparency and playing favoritism, as hiring and developing thoughtful (and fair) leaders is something we take very seriously. In relation to pay, we take several steps to ensure our compensation is competitive, especially when it’s combined with our benefits package and unlimited RTO (routine time off). That said, we will continue to benchmark and review our compensation packages on an annual basis to ensure they stay competitive within the market and make changes accordingly. Regarding inclusiveness,we're happy to share that there are several key priorities in place for the remainder of 2020 centered around global inclusion and diversity, ranging from further commitments to increased diversity in our talent pools to Zoom-based virtual conversations related to inclusion, identity and intersectionality. Finally, we hear and appreciate your feedback regarding the way lay-offs were handled. It has been incredibly painful to say goodbye to talented people due to the impact of this unprecedented pandemic, and we're deeply apologetic to those who were disappointed by our delivery. It's your willingness to share that helps Groupon grow and evolve, and for that we're very appreciative! Wishing you all the best in your journey forward.

6. 4.0

A Great Place to Work

Apr 6, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Salary and Work environment are good

7. 2.0
      Current Employee

Poor Management

Jun 19, 2020 - Senior Accountant in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work / life balance and thats about it

Cons

Constant turnover and poor communication from upper management

8. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Not As Great As They Used To Be

Jun 30, 2020 - Customer Service Supervisor in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Competitive pay and good benefits

Cons

Minimal upward growth. Poor communication between departments. Lack of support from upper management.

9. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great team culture (at least my team), relax, good work/life balance but without any direction

Apr 15, 2020 - Software Development Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Great team culture (at least my team) * Relax * Light deadlines for projects * Opportunity to contribute in different teams

Cons

* There is no clear direction from the upper management * Transparency regarding ongoing stuff is null * Old stack of software

10. 2.0

Great for entry level

May 13, 2020 - BDR in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance and culture

Cons

Sinking company without any communication from C suite to upper management. Constant change. Bad marketing department.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 84 Reviews