Grover Gaming Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Quality Assurance Director"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Director in Winterville, NC
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Director in Winterville, NC

I have been working at Grover Gaming full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working at Grover Gaming for almost 7 years now. I have had the pleasure of working in almost every department in the company. I worked in the warehouse for 1.5 - 2 years, then technical support for 1.5 - 2 years, then sales for a little over a year, then started as the solitary member of Quality Assurance about 1.5 years ago. We now have 7 employees in the QA department.

Saying all that to say this. I had no experience or formal training on any of the areas that I have worked over the years for Grover Gaming. This company truly rewards hard work. I am proof of that. This is the main reason that I have been here so long, and plan on being here indefinitely.

Some additional pros include:

- Company Sponsored outings
    - Company Sponsored Lunches (EVERY Thursday!)
    - Christmas Bonuses
    - 401k plan
    - PTO based off time with company!!! (7years!)
    - Pool Table, Basketball Goal, Lounge, and Gym
    - Transparency with Senior Management (They all have an open door policy)

Cons

The only con that I can think of is the hours.

I have children, so for me, I would rather work from say 7am-4pm or 8am-5pm, just so I could be home earlier in the day to spend MORE time with family.

Advice to Management

Keep finding markets, so we can keep making products!

2. ".Net Developer"

Current Employee - .NET Developer in Greenville, NC
    Current Employee - .NET Developer in Greenville, NC

I have been working at Grover Gaming full-time

Pros

Pretty good team and fun place to work. Scope to learn new technologies and work on multiple projects.

Cons

Nothing much cons to share. Obviously less benefits as the company is in growing phase.

Advice to Management

Nothing much to advice the management.

"An accurate review of Grover Gaming Inc."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, NC

I worked at Grover Gaming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will feel welcomed at first, as well as the feeling of camaraderie, at least for a while.

Free lunch every Thursday.

In-office gym.

Healthcare, 401k benefits, etc.

Company's actual products are pretty competitive in the marketplace.

Greenville has "small-town" charm.

Cons

The location; Greenville is a college town with the population of around ~90,000. If you want to do anything besides the average college party or play video games at home, you will need to drive to larger cities close-by. Raleigh is about an hour and a half drive away, and Charlotte is about four hours. Although claimed as having a lower cost of living, Greenville has the same if not higher cost of living compared to the larger mentioned cities (PayScale.com).

Non-competitive pay; Pay will be meager unless you are familiar with upper management, or hired on as a specialist of some sort. Most employee recruiting is aimed towards new college graduates that will be happy to have a job to begin with, so the odds of a competitive salary are slim to none. To secure a raise, you will have to practically work as an indentured slave, kiss up to higher management , or threaten to leave because of a higher salary offer somewhere else.

The hours; From the start, you will be encouraged to go "above and beyond". To clarify this, you will be expected to work 45-50 hours a week regardless of productivity during your normal 40 hours of "salaried time". I stress "salaried time" as they will still track your hours via time clock as well as video monitoring (not kidding) whether you are salaried or not. Any time that you spend working over the expected hours, you gain brownie points with management, but not much else, as pay raises are based on poorly executed employee evaluations.

High turnover rate(disposable labor); The company hires batches of employees at a time and cut the fat early on. If you dont make an impression right out of the gate, start looking for another job shortly after. If you move here before you start your job, you may face a difficult situation having to job hunt in Greenville if you find yourself on the chopping block.

Power tripping management and other unprofessional points; The company mascot and name was an inside joke by the owner pointing out the quirks of computer nerds by calling them Grovers, essentially making fun of your employees. Unless you are fired, leaving the company can become a very sensitive subject. You may face legal threats even if you have not breached an NDA/ non-compete/etc, as it has happened to past employees. I suggest having your own legal counsel look over any paperwork you may be made to sign before you take any position.

Advice to Management

There is no advice to give a management team that already knows everything. I have to fill this space with twenty words.

Grover Gaming Response

Feb 10, 2016 – Recruiting

Grover Gaming would like to respond with some answers and facts to the above review. 1. Greenville, NC is not just a college town. Greenville has many thriving industries outside of the college ... More

"Company definitely "needs some love""

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, NC

I worked at Grover Gaming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Weekly company lunches. They're really good too!
    Health package is pretty good compared to others.
    Great friends outside of the work. Definitely people you'd enjoy a conversation with.
    Frequent Parties
    GB is probably one of the most down to earth high class boss I've ever had, and I doubt he's aware of the issues the rest of management is causing...

Cons

Most of the 4+ star reviews on here are management. HINT: DID YOU NOTICE ALL THE REVIEWS ARE IN THE SAME MONTH!? If you're working here as management, you scored a nice job. Otherwise...run.
    Underpays developers (programmers, artists, audio) and warehouse unless they're close to management
    They keep saying "we're constantly growing" but they fire people left and right without warning to them
    Horrible communication between higher ups and everyone else
    Like going home after an 8 hour shift? Good luck!
    Yoyo development. Sometimes they'll have 2 games in development, and 10 a week later.
    Raise? HA! Small rare bonuses, yes. Raise, not likely.
    Like I said, they're good people outside of the work. AT work, respect is rare unless you're an "original".
    Reason they pick entry level people is because they're easier to screw over.
    Just about everyone who got fired since I worked there had NO warning. No chance to talk, or anything. One person didn't even get 90 days to prove himself.
    A lot of the people working there are looking for jobs elsewhere to escape.
    Testing is a joke. 1-3 people pressing a button. Test night for the company = red solo cups for all

Advice to Management

I don't even know where to start. They're all good people with good heart. I just don't think it's known what's truly going on under the roof. Talk to some of your guys one on one and tell them their feedback wouldn't affect their jobs. Talk to former employers who you know will be honest with you because, well, they don't work there anymore. Do something to ask "how can we make this a better place" to the point where you get 500 resumes per day like IGT. Stop trying to "grow" when some of your own guys aren't happy. I think this company can EXPONENTIALLY grow much more than it has if there were some changes.
    I hope you're reading this GB. You're an awesome dude with awesome ideas, I hope you at least find this a little constructive.

6. "A company that cares."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, NC

I have been working at Grover Gaming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At least once a week I've heard conversations regarding ways to give back to employees. Whether it be bonuses, increased healthcare contributions or additional company-provided meals. The owner of the company genuinely cares about each employee and product. This attitude is reflected by the executive staff all the way down to the average employee. Everyone is invested in the products that we create... all the way through the product lifecycle.

Cons

There are many projects waiting to be started on, but manpower is the issue. The company is growing, but not nearly fast enough. There are so many markets to be penetrated which has created a challenging balance between planning and execution.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing...it's working.

7. "It is an overall good place to work with good people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, NC

I have been working at Grover Gaming full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is growing. There are opportunities here that are not available in larger companies. We are currently adding on almost doubling the size of the facility. Good benefits like health insurance, dental, time off, 401K, etc. There is a good culture were you can talk to others and share ideas.

Cons

The company is growing and most of the employees are young and learning. This causes some disorganization and jumping around on projects. Communication from top down May not be very well and this causes work to have to be redone or added to.

Advice to Management

Hire more people!!!

8. "Pretty much a mix of southern hospitality and silicon valley"

Current Employee - Chief Pard in Greenville, NC
    Current Employee - Chief Pard in Greenville, NC

I have been working at Grover Gaming full-time

Pros

Leadership doesn't mind taking time to show you growth opportunities. Even within the couple years I've been here the company has exponentially grown, there was some growing pains but that seems like a good problem to have.

Cons

Everyone is pretty passionate about what they do here so sometimes we work long hours but whenever that happens it's usually free food and other perks.

Advice to Management

Keep it coming with all of these food and party perks it's starting to really feel like a tech company now.

9. "Former employee who learned alot"

I worked at Grover Gaming (More than a year)

Pros

I worked for Grover for two years and learned a lot while I was there. I left because my career goals didn't align with the company. This isn't their fault just wanted to be in a different line of work.

Cons

They most definitely play "favorites". Being a "favorite" requires hard work and willingness to go above and beyond paid or not.

Advice to Management

some of the senior management had the technical knowledge but zero management ability. Work with people on how to work with people.

"Modern Sweatshop"

I worked at Grover Gaming full-time

Pros

A few decent folks work at the lower levels. Sometimes there's free food.

Cons

You will work long hours for pennies and management will crush your soul.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like human beings.

11. "I have been working at Grover Gaming full time"

I have been working at Grover Gaming full-time

Pros

The work environment is like no other, absolutely amazing atmosphere to work in with great people. The owner and management team truly care about each of their employees. With weekly catered lunches, work gatherings, strong benefits, and an amazing work facility consisting of 3 kitchens, a gym, lounge area with a billiards table and television, and the best coffee machine known to man it is hard to forget how good we have it here. Garrett (owner) is constantly looking to tap into new markets, constantly looking to build the company and he is quite good at it. Overall, this has been the best job I have taken and I have no plans of moving on from the company.

Cons

Sounds crazy but I really have no cons, if we were to grow from an employee standpoint it could help out with labor, and maybe allow us to tap into even more markets. Other than growth (which seems to already be happening) I have nothing negative to say.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, it clearly has been working.