Grover Gaming Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "My experience working at Grover"

I have been working at Grover Gaming full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For me, Grover is all about being part of the team, a team that expects excellence and one that is consistently trying to get better; whether that is improving the culture, developing a company mission statement, or trying to achieve certain goals, we are always trying to improve individually and as a team. If you want to be part of a dynamic, competitive team with unlimited growth potential, then Grover is for you.

Cons

From my viewpoint, there really aren't cons. If we do a good job of hiring the correct team members that match our mission, vision and values, are competitive and excited for growth, then the perception of cons should be very limited.

Advice to Management

Continue developing the long term plan and leading by example..

2. "My experience at Grover Gaming"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Greenville, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Greenville, NC

I worked at Grover Gaming full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Grover was one of the best jobs/careers I've had. Great management & co-workers. The owner of the company is a very nice & down-to-guy. It seemed like I was part of a big family! The hours & pay were not bad either. We were provided company lunches every Thursday. The break room is a great place to enjoy lunch & there is also an on-site workout room. Overall a very good place to work!

Cons

I had to leave only due a better paying career opportunity.

3. ""Great place to work with a bright future""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, NC

I have been working at Grover Gaming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Incredible leadership team
    - Mission, Vision, and Values
    - Huge team/collaborative environment
    - Employees are appreciated and taken care of
    - Amazing culture
    - Honest Feedback; always know where you stand on areas of development and encouraged to to always be honest
    - Intelligent people; amazed at the talent we have in the building
    - Future growth plans
    - Perks are amazing -- Free lunch weekly, fruit, coffee, etc.
    - Good Benefits

Cons

I do not like using the term Cons... I would say areas of focus
    - Managing rapid growth is challenging; must remain adaptable at all levels in the organization
    - Finding the right team (people, structure, and leadership) can sometimes be a long process; must always remain positive

Advice to Management

Always value your people (employees and business partners); Never stop pushing for Greatness

4. "Being a part of Grover Gaming"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, NC

I have been working at Grover Gaming full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A driven company that has a bright future. Grover team has an adaptive quality that seems to be able to maximize the present while not forgetting to align the structure for tomorrow. The team is constantly thriving for better quality, production and fresh ideas. The company listens and is pushing us to be better than we were the day before.
    The benefit package is great and is also growing. The latest change allows employees the opportunity to enroll in 401K after only 6 months. And the company also added 2 additional 401K enrollment periods per year to expedite the enrollment process for new team members.

Cons

Definitely a growth company and more set up for employees that want to be part of a team.

5. "Former employee who learned alot"

I worked at Grover Gaming (More than a year)

Pros

I worked for Grover for two years and learned a lot while I was there. I left because my career goals didn't align with the company. This isn't their fault just wanted to be in a different line of work.

Cons

They most definitely play "favorites". Being a "favorite" requires hard work and willingness to go above and beyond paid or not.

Advice to Management

some of the senior management had the technical knowledge but zero management ability. Work with people on how to work with people.

"Quality Assurance Director"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Director in Winterville, NC
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Director in Winterville, NC

I have been working at Grover Gaming full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working at Grover Gaming for almost 7 years now. I have had the pleasure of working in almost every department in the company. I worked in the warehouse for 1.5 - 2 years, then technical support for 1.5 - 2 years, then sales for a little over a year, then started as the solitary member of Quality Assurance about 1.5 years ago. We now have 7 employees in the QA department.

Saying all that to say this. I had no experience or formal training on any of the areas that I have worked over the years for Grover Gaming. This company truly rewards hard work. I am proof of that. This is the main reason that I have been here so long, and plan on being here indefinitely.

Some additional pros include:

- Company Sponsored outings
    - Company Sponsored Lunches (EVERY Thursday!)
    - Christmas Bonuses
    - 401k plan
    - PTO based off time with company!!! (7years!)
    - Pool Table, Basketball Goal, Lounge, and Gym
    - Transparency with Senior Management (They all have an open door policy)

Cons

The only con that I can think of is the hours.

I have children, so for me, I would rather work from say 7am-4pm or 8am-5pm, just so I could be home earlier in the day to spend MORE time with family.

Advice to Management

Keep finding markets, so we can keep making products!

7. ".Net Developer"

Current Employee - .NET Developer in Greenville, NC
    Current Employee - .NET Developer in Greenville, NC

I have been working at Grover Gaming full-time

Pros

Pretty good team and fun place to work. Scope to learn new technologies and work on multiple projects.

Cons

Nothing much cons to share. Obviously less benefits as the company is in growing phase.

Advice to Management

Nothing much to advice the management.

"Modern Sweatshop"

I worked at Grover Gaming full-time

Pros

A few decent folks work at the lower levels. Sometimes there's free food.

Cons

You will work long hours for pennies and management will crush your soul.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like human beings.

9. "I have been working at Grover Gaming full time"

I have been working at Grover Gaming full-time

Pros

The work environment is like no other, absolutely amazing atmosphere to work in with great people. The owner and management team truly care about each of their employees. With weekly catered lunches, work gatherings, strong benefits, and an amazing work facility consisting of 3 kitchens, a gym, lounge area with a billiards table and television, and the best coffee machine known to man it is hard to forget how good we have it here. Garrett (owner) is constantly looking to tap into new markets, constantly looking to build the company and he is quite good at it. Overall, this has been the best job I have taken and I have no plans of moving on from the company.

Cons

Sounds crazy but I really have no cons, if we were to grow from an employee standpoint it could help out with labor, and maybe allow us to tap into even more markets. Other than growth (which seems to already be happening) I have nothing negative to say.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, it clearly has been working.

"An accurate review of Grover Gaming Inc."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, NC

I worked at Grover Gaming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will feel welcomed at first, as well as the feeling of camaraderie, at least for a while.

Free lunch every Thursday.

In-office gym.

Healthcare, 401k benefits, etc.

Company's actual products are pretty competitive in the marketplace.

Greenville has "small-town" charm.

Cons

The location; Greenville is a college town with the population of around ~90,000. If you want to do anything besides the average college party or play video games at home, you will need to drive to larger cities close-by. Raleigh is about an hour and a half drive away, and Charlotte is about four hours. Although claimed as having a lower cost of living, Greenville has the same if not higher cost of living compared to the larger mentioned cities (PayScale.com).

Non-competitive pay; Pay will be meager unless you are familiar with upper management, or hired on as a specialist of some sort. Most employee recruiting is aimed towards new college graduates that will be happy to have a job to begin with, so the odds of a competitive salary are slim to none. To secure a raise, you will have to practically work as an indentured slave, kiss up to higher management , or threaten to leave because of a higher salary offer somewhere else.

The hours; From the start, you will be encouraged to go "above and beyond". To clarify this, you will be expected to work 45-50 hours a week regardless of productivity during your normal 40 hours of "salaried time". I stress "salaried time" as they will still track your hours via time clock as well as video monitoring (not kidding) whether you are salaried or not. Any time that you spend working over the expected hours, you gain brownie points with management, but not much else, as pay raises are based on poorly executed employee evaluations.

High turnover rate(disposable labor); The company hires batches of employees at a time and cut the fat early on. If you dont make an impression right out of the gate, start looking for another job shortly after. If you move here before you start your job, you may face a difficult situation having to job hunt in Greenville if you find yourself on the chopping block.

Power tripping management and other unprofessional points; The company mascot and name was an inside joke by the owner pointing out the quirks of computer nerds by calling them Grovers, essentially making fun of your employees. Unless you are fired, leaving the company can become a very sensitive subject. You may face legal threats even if you have not breached an NDA/ non-compete/etc, as it has happened to past employees. I suggest having your own legal counsel look over any paperwork you may be made to sign before you take any position.

Advice to Management

There is no advice to give a management team that already knows everything. I have to fill this space with twenty words.

Grover Gaming Response

Feb 10, 2016 – Recruiting

Grover Gaming would like to respond with some answers and facts to the above review.
    1. Greenville, NC is not just a college town. Greenville has many thriving industries outside of the college... More