Grovo Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Steven Carpenter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The individuals at the company are hard working and extremely talented (in 11 reviews)

• A great culture would just be a facade if there wasn't a worthwhile purpose backing it up (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be an issue (in 7 reviews)

• There are long hours, but they are flexible (in 9 reviews)

"Great place to work, exciting future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Grovo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Grovo is an exciting place to work. You are surrounded by a lot of smart, driven, and ambitious collaborators. People get along well and care about the company's success. More recently, our CEO has made excellent personnel changes and brought in impressive talent to leadership positions. I've been here for a couple years and I'm as excited as ever to see where the company is headed. On top of that, the amenities are pretty sweet -- free snacks, drinks, cold brew on tap, bagel Fridays, and our own personal gym with turf, Sonos, treadmills, free weights, locker room and more. Everything cool you'd expect from a promising start up that cares about their people. Location in Flatiron is awesome. If you don't like working here, you have no idea how good you have it.

Cons

There is constant change at the company as we grow. If you can't handle a dynamic work environment, this place isn't for you.

Advice to Management

Keep making the positive changes! Also keep in mind Grovo employees have been through a lot of changes. While we are a resilient bunch, it is a challenge to deal with nonstop change.

2. "Trying to look good"

I worked at Grovo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location, location, location. Generous parental leave, relatively good health insurance, snacks, beer on tap, well equipped gym.

Cons

Grovo has lost half of its workforce in the last year. By the time I decided to leave the company it was sooo depressing at the office... Another reviewer on Nov 8 mentioned everything is fine and if you don’t like change you’re not worthy. Well, when changes lead to more problems, uncertainties and people treated like expendables, what do you expect from them? No trust, no people.

Advice to Management

There are many ways to achieve success. One of them is to be open and honest. Show, you care about your people, including those who’s leaving.

"Ruthless and cowardly"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Grovo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Throughout my tenure I met numerous smart and dedicated people, many of whom I consider great friends. I learned a lot about my line of work, how to better evaluate future employers, and recognizing and defending my worth.

The founders made mistakes, but I felt there was a genuine sense of admiration and care for employees. Running a business often forces undesirable actions, but at least they tried their best to remedy situations with a soft touch.

The health benefits were outstanding prior to the CEO transition, especially for single employees without dependents. Super low deductible and out-of-pocket yearly maximum.

Cons

Ruthless and cowardly. A simple yet apt description of Grovo’s current CEO.

It is ruthless and cowardly to openly disparage former employees in company recap emails.

It is ruthless and cowardly to hide from employees while visiting the NY office, especially after pledging more transparency and availability upon taking the job.

It is ruthless and cowardly to usurp a company out from under its founders after being trusted by said founders as an interim executive.

Grovo’s current CEO has surrounded himself with sycophants who calculate how much they can use each other to achieve the most personal benefit.

Steve, you don’t deserve to lead Grovo.

Advice to Management

Steve, investors, and the board — I don’t think you realize how much you need your employees to save your wallets and reputations. You better learn fast before your ego and greed continue to hollow out whatever is left of the shell that used to be Grovo.

To whoever wrote the 5-star review on Nov 8 — I’m embarrassed for you, though I don’t believe this is a genuine review. Either way, you wrote “if you don’t like working here, you have no idea how good you have it.” Quite the contradictory line considering Grovo has been losing talent left and right since Steve became CEO, so I guess we actually have found companies who value our experience and compensate us accordingly.

For those of you who go along to get along — you can do so much better. I understand certain departments have it much easier finding a new job, but personal situations notwithstanding, I don’t know how you can maintain any self-respect working for Grovo at this moment.

"Laughable"

I worked at Grovo full-time

Pros

There are still a few hard working people at Grovo today who are great coworkers.

Cons

There are a lot of cons to working at Grovo these days. The culture is non existent. It is a place where people go because it's their job. They do their work and leave as soon as they can. A place that was once filled with energy is now very depressing. The management team is actually laughable. The new CEO doesn't understand the industry (nor does he care to) and he has put together a business plan that will drive Grovo to its final death. Yet, he seems completely delusional and thinks it is actually going well and that people like him. In reality - he is extremely disliked by all except for his chosen few who are just as delusional as he is. There are others on the management team that were promoted during lay offs because they are pushovers and suck ups and will do whatever the CEO and CFO want. They don't care about people, we're never respected by their peers and still aren't respected by their employees - nor are they qualified for their positions. The new CEO is sneaky and dishonest. He talks about transparency being important yet does everything behind closed doors and the employees find out about things only when they are already decided on and finalized (like important partnerships for example). He blatantly calls out people he doesn't like in front of the entire team and disrespects past employees. When he first came onboard as CEO, he said he didn't want to talk about the past management team or their mistakes. Yet he is constantly comparing himself to them and putting their decisions down. There is little to no professional growth to be had, little trust with managers and no successes to celebrate. He has created a toxic culture and it's sad to see. Walking into Grovo today is like walking into a creepy alternate universe where no one is honest with each other, everyone is pretending all day long and it is so eerily quiet that you could hear a pin drop.

Advice to Management

Not much you can do to save jen place now - and I don't think you care much about doing that. But if you do - show SOME sign that you care when your best people walk out the door or you will continue to lose people until there is no company.

"Downward Trend says it all"

I worked at Grovo full-time

Pros

- Lots of smart people who will challenge you

- Free food/drinks (if you like hippie food)

- Competitive salary

- Amazing benefits package (convenient how the company created a parental leave policy when one of the founders was starting their family, but hey the health insurance was great.)

- Inspirational CEO

Cons

While I worked at Grovo I had a different manager about every 2 months. I struggled to get direction - while I consider myself a self-starter, there's still something nice about some kind of feedback besides a generic positive "great job".

The fact that the company didn't use it's own product is a huge red flag for me. A tech company making a product for career training that doesn't onboard their new hires with that product has no faith in the product.

Management was completely over-reactionary. They talked about how they would respond to problems that were identified - but they didn't seem to take any time to consider the potential outcomes of their changes, or if maybe they could wait a little to come up with a more stable solution. Policies and directions changed so often that people got very frustrated with a lack of real direction.

The CEO and upper management talked a lot about diversity as time went on. One thing I struggled with was Jeff's idea that in order to promote diversity within the company, and give minorities and women someone to look up to, they needed to hire POC and women from outside. I don't need only people who look just like me to be role models for me. In fact, that's kind of one of the benefits of diversity - you learn and change by interacting with people who *aren't* just like you. I want people I can look up to regardless of their background. The message being sent was "We will hire women and minorities so you have someone to be a role model for you, when we eventually find them" - how about you use your own product to train, educate and raise up the people already at the company? The lower ranks were plenty diverse.

I sadly watched as friend after friend was let go, sometimes being misled about why/how, and then finally my day came too. I think the fact that the ratings on here went downhill so fast is evident that something went wrong, and maybe it's time to change course back.

"Hard working individuals let down by management"

I worked at Grovo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The individuals at the company are hard working and extremely talented. Some of the best peers I have ever worked with.

Cons

The leadership teams lack of trust in the professionals they put in place. No chance at career growth.

"Hard to believe they are still in business"

I worked at Grovo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Energetic and friendly people. Perhaps free snack and fun office atmosphere.

Cons

If you are not an inner circle member of founders, good luck. Only those people who can yes to the management will survive and the founders will never listen from you because they won't understand what you are trying to say. They still believe they can make a profit but I have zero confidence on their managerial capability and totally regret to work there for little more than a year.

Advice to Management

They all need to be replaced as they have no idea what they are doing

"Know what you want"

I have been working at Grovo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great place for someone interested in having a start-up experience. I love my terrific team members and feel I'm fairly compensated.

-excellent benefits, especially PTO
    -a mission to get behind, and commitment to leading the L&D industry
    -truly hard-working and caring colleagues who are always striving to get better
    -great place to learn about the financial model of a Saas start-up
    -learning experience in adaptability and flexibility
    -exciting product with top-notch engineering team
    -interesting and impressive portfolio of clients
    -NEVER BORING

Cons

There can be significant unpredictability and discomfort here - some understandable for a start-up, some that is less acceptable. It helps to have a solid sense of your own talents, what you bring to the table and to put your foot down when you feel like you are being treated badly. Though management is not perfect, they are all reasonable human beings who want their teams to be productive and are willing to help find a solution. Some higher level issues:

-not an exceptionally welcoming environment for women (occassional yelling and intimidation, few women in senior roles)
    -misalignment among execs negatively impacts more junior employees
    -creatives not valued to the same level as those with business background, thus hiring suffers and creatives are managed by non-creatives
    -lack of mentorship for more junior employees

Advice to Management

Being a nurturing and diverse workplace is very challenging - but Grovo is excellent at tackling huge challenges. Becoming a more welcoming workplace for a multi-talented and multi-faceted group of people is well within reach if we choose to do it.

"I Had a Different Experience"

Former Employee - Director of Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director of Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at Grovo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, amazing culture, wonderful colleagues, real growth opportunities. It is disheartening to read so many negative reviews. Layoffs are hard. I honestly can't imagine they were harder on anyone than Jeff, Nick and Surag who all care very deeply about their employees. I was let go and with good cause. Their growth rate simply eclipsed my ability as a marketer and I couldn't keep up. Not once did I fault Grovo - I would have made the exact same business decision. I also was able to parlay my experience at Grovo into a career that keeps getting better. It has never hurt to be able to say I was a part of one of the fastest growing startups in NYC.

Cons

Was it a "Wolf of Wall Street" or "Boys Club?" Not in my experience. What I mean by that was that I never saw anyone in the company mistreated or talked down to because of their role; conversely I felt just as comfortable going to Jeff about anything as I did my boss. That doesn't mean some of the reviews are without merit; it is a hard place to work at and they do expect a lot from their employees. I am a father of two school aged children. It was hard not being able to be there for everything that I wanted. But I also understood that working at a startup is a long play. I wanted to earn my shares and help the company be as profitable as possible so that someday those shares would be worth something. If long hours, late nights and the occasional frustration isn't in your wheelhouse, then Grovo may not be for you. But if you are willing to work hard you will be rewarded. If you have a problem I can personally vouch that any of the cofounders are willing to listen. If the people I worked with at Grovo are indicative of the caliber of talent they continue to hire then you have also made some really great connections as well.

Advice to Management

Be weary that as you grow change needs to be top down. Don't stop having fun, but recognize that that means something different to each person. Most of all - never let go of your transparency. For me that, above all else, was something that I have brought with me and mirrored in my own career as a marketer and a manager.

"The best place to work"

Pros

Grovo is one of those extremely rare startups: great customers, great talent, incredible growth, path to profitability, all combined with the best culture I've seen. People lift each other up, work together, love each other, and the company wins #2 on Forbes list of best companies to work for. The CEO is the epicenter of this goodness, and the ultimate guardian of this magical environment. I am so glad to be part of this team. This startup will continue winning big.

Cons

It's not for everyone, the stage of growth is very advanced and requires more than the dedication. It requires precision and experience. So you can put in all the time in the world, but if you are not the master of what you do, it won't fly.

Advice to Management

Continue nurturing, and give clear direction with room to make decisions. Continue hiring the best, hold that bar very high.

Grovo Response

Oct 18, 2016 – Cofounder & CEO (Jeff Fernandez)

Wow, thank you for the kind words. This place can feel pretty magical. When I think about the best parts about what we’ve built at Grovo, I think about many of the things you’ve mentioned here. As we... More