Grovo Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Steven Carpenter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The individuals at the company are hard working and extremely talented" (in 15 reviews)

• "Great people, great benefits (though they have been significantly clawed back by new management), conveniently-located office" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be an issue" (in 8 reviews)

• "This means you should expect to work long hours, which can be draining at times" (in 10 reviews)

1. "In midst of transformation. In a good way."

I have been working at Grovo full-time

Pros

Awesome, awesome product backed up by really great teams. Looking at you Customers Success and Content team!

The company is in the midst of major transformation. Yes people have gotten let go as part of this, but the new leadership I believe is making the right moves to right the ship. The former leadership nearly drove the business into the ground.

It's an exciting time to be a part of Grovo as we're in rebuild-mode. Lots of opportunity to give input and help shape the future of the business.

Cons

If you don't want to join a company that's changing on a quarterly and sometimes monthly basis, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Love the transparency.

"Standard start up culture, but not in a good way"

I have been working at Grovo full-time

Pros

Decent benefits, generally nice colleagues (despite the fact we're all burned out), and opportunity for independence

Cons

Standard corporate startup culture, inexperienced leaders, deceptively long hours

I feel that the company's biggest problem is that they don't care about the people that work there. They care more about how they look and come off instead of the people who are working long hours to dig this company out of the ground. Currently, working here is hardly livable and doesn't give people chances for any career growth.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees and hear them when they verbalize when something isn't working. Instead of protecting yourselves, protect the people who will help you build the company back up. If you don't, Grovo is over.

"Great place to work and grow"

I have been working at Grovo full-time

Pros

-Learn by doing. We're building a great company and each person has the freedom to try new things and learn from their mistakes
    -Fun product and space. We're helping people be better and happier in their jobs.
    -Great people. I love coming to work.

Cons

The classic start-up stuff. Uncertainty, fast-pace, the occasional four-alarm. These are not unexpected but admittedly not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. We're making the right moves to grow the business.

But we could use some more avocados in the kitchen.

"Standard is not normalized"

Pros

Company has a lot of young and hard working engineers who are willing to learn and work the things out. Some senior engineer is lack of skill and management did not treat properly and put pressure to other engineers to train. Except heavy work load, it becomes other engineer's responsibilities to train the unskilled one.

Cons

The standard is not set up fairly, which made you feel very unorganized. And the ones try to take advantage will get support from management level. The situation made people feel very frustrating.

"From someone who actually worked at Grovo. Pretty Recently."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Grovo full-time

Pros

In-office Gym
    some snacks (used to be better)
    good insurance (used to be better)
    oh, and avocados of course :)

Cons

Some employees are definitely drinking the kool-aid and thankfully I was not one of them. Wake up and find a new job where you'll be appreciated.

Lots of baggage and lots of turnover.

Management has been trying to crack down on employees posting negative reviews thinking they can try and stop it. Well if you don't suck as a company then you won't get bad reviews. It's as simple as that.

They think they can just erase the past and move on. They have a history of doing lay-offs. Most recently in March 2018.

Perks and benefits have been getting worse as they try to trim any extra spending.

Most of the company's departments have been moved to SF. I wouldn't be surprised if they close down the NY office and re-hire in SF like every other department.

Advice to Management

Quit now while you're ahead

"Bush league company for vultures"

Former Employee - SDR in New York, NY
    Former Employee - SDR in New York, NY

I worked at Grovo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the first year it was fun

Cons

Got fired for not being able to work 20 hour days.

Advice to Management

I dunno, just stop already.

"From someone who actually works at Grovo"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Grovo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you've read some of the other reviews on this site, you can tell that it's been a tough couple years at Grovo.

Things were really fun here for a long time, at least on the surface. The run-and-gun culture prior to June 2016 was exciting and rewarding, and it's tough not to love a company that celebrates every month's sales goals with a keg (or four). A lot of people joined Grovo because of its work-hard-play-hard vibe. It was tough and fun and great.

But, that same company that rewarded quick wins at the expense of smart, long-term decisions, was long on ego and ambition and short on cold, hard realism.

It can’t be overlooked that all of these negative reviews praise the co-founders and original management team for all of the great things (parties, office culture, fast-paced sales, the summer retreat, etc.) and blame some other, different version of Grovo for everything they didn’t like.

In fact, there are not two versions of Grovo.

It was the original management team’s lack of discipline and maturity that caused three layoffs, all of which happened on their watch (the last one resulted in a leadership change, as well). It was the original management team that signed an over-long lease for an over-large space and underperformed against its goals, making that decision extremely regrettable. And it was the original management team that chased short-term, arbitrary wins that undermined our long-term financial position and slowly eroded our business.

It was tough to say goodbye to friends, and it happened too many times. Understandably, a lot of people are still hurting from that. Others, who were not forced to leave, chose to leave when the work of digging our business out got really tough. I wouldn’t try to convince anyone that should love a place that fired them or became something they didn’t love.

But those people should have the good sense to realize that they don’t know Grovo in 2018.

We’ve learned from past mistakes and are building a great company in the right way. To a person, our team is filled with caring, curious, and dedicated people; I am grateful to work with them each day and I would be happy to work with them at any point in the future. We are finding our way with a new product and with experienced leaders that have run much larger organizations to greater success than any iteration of Grovo has known.

If you’re interested in working hard to build a great company that tries to make a small difference in the world, then you should join us.

Cons

If one more person mentions the fresh avocados, I'm going to lose my mind.

Advice to Management

We could be better at innovating quickly and responding to feedback.

We are more serious now, which is good, but we should loosen our tie a bit.

The bi-coastal setup presents challenges for a cohesive culture that we need to move quickly to solve.

"Woof."

I worked at Grovo full-time

Pros

-Some nice people
    -Normal startup perks (Unlim vacay, WFH policy, snacks)

Cons

The negative reviews are all true. Mostly these points:
    -Power-hungry people at the top
    -Failing company that is literally on its last pennies
    -Execs have little to no experience in the industry
    -Layoffs haven't ended. The last one was January 2018, so if they try to tell you these are in the past it's a lie.

Advice to Management

Create some TRAINING on how to treat people and watch it every single day.

"Guilty conscious if I didn’t warn you"

I worked at Grovo full-time

Pros

Not much I can say here.

Cons

Grovo is not the company it once was, and while that’s unfortunate for all of us who were there in the “heyday”, it’s not necessarily relevant to you – an employment prospect.

What you need to be concerned with is the shape of the company now, and it’s not good. Why?

1. Management with little to no experience in their field
    There are a few lingering managers from back-in-the-day who were unjustly promoted into roles they had no experience in (office politics are alive and well).

2. Executives who are absent
    The current CEO is never around. Prime example, during the most recent layoffs (4 rounds in one year) he was not present, it shows a lack of commitment, compassion, and investment in the company and its’ employees.

3. An emotionally drained employee base
    See above – 4 rounds of layoffs in less than a year would make anyone tired! Constantly being in fear of losing your job without justification is an emotional roller coaster

4. Customers are feeling the pain
    Existing customers are reaching out to previous Grovo employees because no one at the company responds to their questions

To sum it all up, I’ve been remiss in not posting this earlier and I am sorry to anyone who has joined recently or has been there through all of this.

Advice to Management

Find a way to re-invest in employees.

"Trying to look good"

I worked at Grovo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location, location, location. Generous parental leave, relatively good health insurance, snacks, beer on tap, well equipped gym.

Cons

Grovo has lost half of its workforce in the last year. By the time I decided to leave the company it was sooo depressing at the office... Another reviewer on Nov 8 mentioned everything is fine and if you don’t like change you’re not worthy. Well, when changes lead to more problems, uncertainties and people treated like expendables, what do you expect from them? No trust, no people.

Advice to Management

There are many ways to achieve success. One of them is to be open and honest. Show, you care about your people, including those who’s leaving.