Grow Financial Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Robert L Fisher

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Commercial Loan Officer"

I have been working at Grow Financial full-time

Pros

Great place to work.

Cons

Reliance on third party vendors

2. "One of the Best Employers in Tampa"

Former Employee - Accountant II in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Accountant II in Tampa, FL

I worked at Grow Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Fantastic company culture that promotes from within
    - The best benefits I've seen of any local company
    - Skilled management team. Beth, Devin and Gail are all very good at what they do
    - Good work life balance. In 2 years I worked weekends twice. Both times were voluntary
    - Interesting, varied work with lots of projects

Cons

No cons come to mind.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. There's a reason so many talented people are drawn to the company.

3. "Lots of entry-level opportunity!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Grow Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Focused on promoting from within!

Cons

Lots of ideas - not enough follow through

4. "MCC Rep"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at Grow Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    Company really puts employees first
    Training provided to all employees to better develop them

Cons

Hard to move up in some roles

"Great Benefits & Good Pay will Lure You In..."

Former Employee - Backoffice Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Backoffice Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at Grow Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company has incredible benefits! 100% 401K vested after 90 days- up to 8% match and medical coverage is good in comparison to standard 2017 rates.

The HR & Training departments are always fun and the headquarters is friendly and engaged. The HQ building is beautiful and they're always hosting events to engage the employees. They even have a fully stocked gym onsite.

Most managers are also flexible with work from home options and the organization is doing their best to make this more consistent across all departments, but there are still managers lacking the skillset and trust to allow this.

Also, Grow is great about internal promotions up to manager level, but it's doubtful you'll make it to executive unless you come from the outside.

Community outreach is always going on with team building and personal development is supported at every level.

Cons

The executive team comes across as superficial and unsure of what they want (there's not even a mission statement except to tell us to be bold and have fun..?). This creates a HUGE lack of direction for us (where does the member service principles come in? Integrity? What do we stand for and how can we declare this to our members and new team members?).

Also, it doesn't feel as though we're working for anything important (except to let the execs earn more money). At first, I thought working for a "credit union" (not for profit) would make it different- but don't let GROW fool you. They are a BANK in sheep's clothing.

Vacation/ Sick accrual leaves much to be desired. Sick is accrued separately, but you're penalized if you use it. They provide you incentive NOT to use it (earn 1 personal day each quarter). A PTO system works much better by bundling the time together and giving the employee more control over managing it.

You also can't accrue more than 80 hours of vacation a year so use it or lose it.

Advice to Management

Great job with your efforts to enhance work/life balance by allowing us to work from home. You trust us to do what needs to be done.

Train your managers how to lead and coach rather than boss.

Consider not isolating your senior team to the 5th floor. They should sit with their people and I'd love to see them not act as though they're already retired. Either engage fully or retire.

"Great at first but the facade fades"

Former Employee - Relationship Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Relationship Specialist in Tampa, FL

I worked at Grow Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great 401k match. 1 hour lunch break. 1% employee discount for loans. AAA discount. If you are very cheerful and upbeat all the time and you like to hang out with your managers and co-workers outside of work, you will move up quickly. You can relax between calls in the call center, when we are well staffed the call queue is low.

Cons

Managers rule by fear. You have to be friendly and bubbly 24/7. Temporary departments and employees. You have to hang out with your co workers outside of work. Hard work and loyalty mean nothing, they will hire someone with no experience over their own employees who have been there 5+ years. Managers make sure you are aware that you can be replaced. They do not train well in most departments..alot of representatives are clueless. You are on your own when solving an issue with a clients account. The clients hate our guts, most calls are dreadful....not for anyone who is overly emotional.

Advice to Management

Put yourself in your employees shoes when managing. Grow needs more LEADERS and less bosses. Be the example of what you want your reps to be. Allow representatives to give suggestions on how to make things better. Stop revampimg and changing everything. If it isn't broken do not try to fix it.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Grow Financial full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Values personal and professional development, promotes employee engagement

Cons

If you don't like working with people, don't apply!

Advice to Management

Continue to work to establish a clear purpose and communicate it down

8. "Call center"

Former Employee - Member Contact Center
    Former Employee - Member Contact Center

I worked at Grow Financial full-time

Pros

The company was great. Everyone so friendly.

Cons

Working in the call center was horrible. Understaffed and crazy expectations.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Grow Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment and people. Awesome training program that really prepares you for the job.

Cons

Have to work shift hours but overall the location is easy to get to. Lots of traffic in the area.

"They say 1 thing and do another"

I worked at Grow Financial full-time

Pros

Love to develop employees, always updating things and making changes to conform to the new and trendy approach.

Cons

Their mantra is "Be Bold, Be Great, Have Fun"....but if you are bold and voice an opinion other than what the executives support, they will find a way to performance you out.

Advice to Management

Don't offer an open door for people to express their ideas or opinions if those opinions will get them terminated if they don't align with executive leadership.