Grubhub Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Grubhub CEO Matt Maloney
Matt Maloney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • fast-paced sprints but realistic in what can be accomplished giving a good work/life balance (in 30 reviews)

• com order site for free food of your choice (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • The wear and tear on your car isn (in 13 reviews)

• Constantly changing acceptance rates which guarentee below minimum wage after depreciation and other expenses (in 21 reviews)

1. "Corporate Sales Exec"

Current Employee - Corporate Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Corporate Sales Executive

I have been working at Grubhub full-time

Pros

Overall the experience has been great! Awesome training and lots of opportunities to learn - everyone is very willing to help out their peers! Management is awesome, they are involved if you need anything but I never feel micro-managed. They give us all the tools necessary to succeed. The culture and work/life balance is awesome too - unlimited PTO, good benefits & 401k plan , and meal credits every week. Very glad to be a part of the Grubhub team!

Cons

Haven't run into any yet

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. "Field Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at Grubhub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with talented,very nice people, at a company expanding quickly, selling a fun product people love, flexible work schedule, good money, low stress. Any marginalized groups (race, gender, disability) you will be welcomed here.

Cons

Company is in full throttle growth mode, so some things are still being ironed out. Didn't get my commission structure till a month into the job.

Advice to Management

Thank you, Thank you for making a great work environment where all people are welcomed to excel.

3. "Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Grubhub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Food. (pantry stocked w/ drinks, snacks, cereal, etc, catered Fridays, $18 Grubhub spend every week, which is about 1 meal. Would be nice to have another days worth). Meet new people during lunch eating together. Everyone is nice.
    Work-life balance and laid back environment. I came from a dog-eat-dog env w/ long work hours and this is far from it.
    Women engineers, leads, and senior management, BUT the NY office needs more diversity!! (idk much about the other branches)
    Paid conferences and a desire to have engineers present.
    No issues w/ hardware (laptop, monitors, standing desk, mouse, etc). If you need something, ask for it you'll have it in a couple minutes.

Cons

Code reviews can be really meticulous... to a point that I think is ridiculous. This may not be a con for you, but the code is clean. I feel like that can still be achieved w/o this level of nitpicking.

Teams are siloed. I like to work on a breadth of problems from ops to sre to typical engineer work (startup env). You won't do that here, but there is a set of tools to do what you may need. You can also propose a feature and offer to implement it yourself.

Hierarchical.

4. "Overall a very good gig"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Grubhub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have only been working at GH for a few weeks, and so far my experience has been really good. Previously, I had worked at a much smaller start-up, and GH seemed like a good middle ground between a cool start-up and a corporate gig. GH has been able to maintain some good start-up qualities, I feel totally comfortable speaking up and contributing in meetings without fear of speaking out of turn, ect. In general people seem to have a good work-life balance and everyone I have met is pretty cool. Actually, I have yet to meet anyone who I would consider a big jerk. Also, these people love food. You will be fed.

Cons

On-boarding beyond the orientation is defined by department, so it is up to your team to get you acclimated to the company. It is a missive place if you are coming from a small company, and it can feel overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Design an on-boarding experience that goes beyond day 1

5. "New employee"

I have been working at Grubhub full-time

Pros

The company is fantastic so far. They have been entirely flexible and really want their employees to succeed. There is a lot to learn, but it makes for a great challenge.

Cons

I do not have any real cons at the moment. Everything has been described well and it just leaves us to do the job.

"Incredibly political... almost toxic"

I worked at Grubhub full-time

Pros

Fast paced
    Lots of cool stuff to learn
    Company is on its way up
    Flex time and schedule
    Learning budget

Cons

This place is incredibly political. If you’re not “in” for whatever reason (potentially out of your control), then you are so far out. You feel cold judgement and lack of appreciation all around you no matter how long and hard you work.

Advice to Management

Some middle management can be very negative and maybe even stuck up which trickles down to those below them making the environment feel toxic. Find a way to change this attitude from the middle down.

"Review after 2 months of work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Grubhub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Place to work.
    Awesome team.
    Flexible hours.
    Superb learning environment

Cons

Probably give more free food? I mean this is a food company. Lol
    (There is catering for one day a week, and we get some money to use on GrubHub which comes up to 1.5-2 lunches. So yeah, make this more)

Advice to Management

Stock should be higher. Lol

"Field Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Field Sales Representative

I have been working at Grubhub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture and people are great. They really try to make you feel very welcomed during the onboarding process and will set you up with someone else who does your job to kind of mentor you through your first several weeks to answer any questions you might have. Because a lot of jobs are remote they take great pride in the equipment they give you and tools at your disposal to make sure you never miss a beat with what's happening "in office"

Cons

My position is till pretty new so there are some growing pains.

Advice to Management

Over communication (especially through the growing pains) is nice to those just starting out.

"“Customer Care Rep”"

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Grubhub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Set schedule
    Decent benefits
    $18 food credit once a week
    Free soda and chips in kitchen

Cons

Gosh..
    Ever since switching to grubhub from yelp Eat24 has slowly just been burnt out and going away. The Eat24 website and app are a joke, it’s just Grubhub with a different name, same restaurants and pricing there is no difference, they just kept the name for the incompetent customers that think they’re different.
    -GH started riding the managers so hard they went from some of the best people I’ve worked with to literally walking around stalking people’s shoulders yelling at them for not grabbing work within 5 seconds of it pulling up on your screen.
    -Constantly having useless meetings about things that don’t even have anything to do with Customer Support.
    -GH has no clue about anything on the “Eat24 Legacy” side of things, trying to apply rules to the severally understaffed side.
    -They’re unwilling to hire on the old platform but let you know everyday how they’ve hired 10 NEW REPS IN CHICAGO!
    - Floors Managers till talk with their favorites and be loud and obnoxious just to stop and tell someone else who’s constistantly working that they aren’t doing enough.
    - No matter how many orders or calls or chats you take they expect you to take more, while others do less. They know you’ll handle more work and will let others slack and not bother with them as their seen as a lost cause.
    Oh was there an issue with something only YOUR manager has access to? Well NO OTHER MANAGER CAN HELP YOU.
    Need to change your hours? That’s not possible cause they’re too short staffed, but don’t worry, the person that sits in front of you will get their schedule changed noooo problem.
    All the reps were trained MONTHS ago and are still making first week mistakes and instead of retraining or explaining to them the correct way to do things, managers just ignore it.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people actually doing the work for you.
    Stop letting the floor management lolligag around with their favorite reps while taking a 5 min break to tell the others they aren’t doing enough.
    You gave out positions for CXT giving managers even LESS to do, what are they even supposed to do?? WFA does all the scheduling and keeping the reps in line, QA checks all the orders for quality and CXT does all the descalating work, so what are the managers for? Lol going over all the info from the other departments? Ok, maybe next month when they come back from vacation.
    Bring back retraining that actually RETRAINS reps, not just a 5 min slide show of the damn wiki that’s not even PDF accessible half the time.

10. "Decent First Job"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Grubhub full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn skills for sales, cool people

Cons

Constant changes, commissions are constantly shifting with no explanation to why