Grunley Construction Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ken Grunley

1. "Best General Contractor to Work for"

Current Employee - Quality Control Manager in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Quality Control Manager in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Grunley Construction full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company is very family-oriented and family-friendly. The culture on all of the project teams I have personally worked with over my 10+ years at Grunley has always been one of teamwork layered with a "get it done" mentality. Grunley always has plenty of work to keep us busy and the projects speak for themselves.

Cons

While there are no major drawbacks to working at Grunley, the one area I see room for improvement is our training program and performance review system. Both of these could be improved.

Advice to Management

The more time that the Senior Officers of the company can spend on the project sites the better. I have been here and known the top executives at the company for 10+ years, I know from experience that exposure to some these people is (almost) always a good thing..

2. "Cool job"

I worked at Grunley Construction full-time

Pros

Good pay, good environment... Good projects and all

Cons

Nothing really, other than some of the people that's about it

3. "Grunley Internship"

Pros

Exciting and complex government projects

Cons

Monotonous tasks, too many layers of job advancement

5. "Pleasant Work Environment"

Current Employee - Estimator in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Estimator in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Grunley Construction full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Grunley Construction is a great place to work. I've been given a lot of opportunities for career growth since I first started at Grunley and I feel as though upper management is legitimately interested in my success at work and in my general life.

Cons

I really don't have any complaints about working at Grunley Construction. I feel fortunate to have landed in a job I really like, with good supervisors, and a great team. We work long hours when the situation calls for it, but that's not a "con" in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Please move forward with the office renovations as planned. It seems very important to connect the space in the building if management is going to continue to press the importance of an integrated work environment amongst all teams, departments, etc...

"Grunley Review"

Current Employee - Superintendent in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Superintendent in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Grunley Construction full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people throughout the organization, good projects staffed with good project teams. Everyone treats everyone else with respect and the culture emphasizes good relationships amongst fellow employees, with subcontractors and with clients.

Cons

The departments (estimating, accounting and operations) seem to be cut off from one another. Just not a whole lot of interfacing and coordination between the people that bid the project and the people that are going to build it.

Advice to Management

Somehow open the communication lines - not just between pre-construction and operations, but also between the individual project teams - for better collaboration and exposure to issues other folks deal with.

"Excellent Experience"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Rockville, MD

I worked at Grunley Construction full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved working at Grunley Construction. The company has a very team-oriented approach to their business and, as such, has created a dynamic and pleasurable place to work. There is a ton of opportunity for advancement, for those who really put in the hours and effort.

Cons

My office was in Rockville, but I ran several "smaller" projects from Northern Virginia to Baltimore and I just ended up doing a lot more driving than I would have liked to. I left to relocate to the other side of the country though, not because of the driving!

Advice to Management

Avoid Joint Venture projects as much as possible! Of the 10+ projects I worked on while at Grunley, the JV jobs were the only ones that I didn't pump my heart and soul into. I think that a lot of people on JV projects feel similarly.

8. "Grunley"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Grunley Construction (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for. standard salary and benefits

Cons

Many inexperience Managers and very short personal time off.

"Great Company, Great Project, Great Team!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Grunley Construction full-time

Pros

Working at Grunley Construction has been challenging, rewarding, and enjoyable (fun, even)! I really like the team I work with daily - as well as nearly everyone I know throughout the company. We do quality work with (usually) excellent subcontractors and the Family-Friendly Culture is one of the reasons it's a pleasure to come in here everyday.

Cons

I have been here for some of the "growing pains" (late nights, some initial chaos!) that Grunley has worked through as we grow and move up a notch in terms of company "scalability". We work together to weather the storm. Chip, Ken, and Chris all do a great job guiding the ship when it needs senior level guiding.

Advice to Management

Localize decision making to the project level and hold Senior Project Leaders responsible for doing our jobs. The support is comforting but I - for one - want the pressure and accountability for my projects at the end of the day.

"Grunley Construction Review"

Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Grunley Construction full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am on a great project team and have already learned so much from them. Upper management (Ken, Chip) are both good Builders and they seem interested in me and my career development (Ken greets me by name and Chip and I frequently talk when he is on my site).

Cons

The main office in Rockville is too far from downtown DC (my current project location) and we are frequently required to meet there for training, etc..). DC traffic is terrible to begin with and this can somewhat add to it.

Advice to Management

Noteworthy company information is distributed frequently, however it seems a little "too corporate" for Grunley Construction. My advice is just to personalize the important notices - we like hearing from Ken!

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Opportunity for growth. Really good project portfolios. Company culture encompasses to be fair but firm.

Cons

Lots of young leaders who may need a little more training by more seasoned personnel and/or experience.

Advice to Management

More interaction with jobsites, more visits, meetings, etc