Grupo Gallegos Reviews | Glassdoor

Grupo Gallegos Reviews

2.3
John Gallegos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Grupo Gallegos Review."

Pros

I worked at Grupo Gallegos for over 10 years, my experience was more than positive. It’s a place where you have to work for what you get, you get nothing for free, that is true. They are constantly looking for excellence and that can make the environment competitive, some people like the competition and some do not. If you can stand the pressure this place can make your career change for the better. Good recent additions to top creative management and planning. Good opportunity for young creative talent.

Cons

If you live in SM, DTLA or Venice the commute is bit long.

"Hostile Atmosphere"

Pros

Beautiful view, nice office, decent client list.

Cons

Hostile atmosphere, manipulative behavior from management, lots of in-fighting.

3. "Madhouse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Grupo Gallegos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

90% of the people are great. Free fruit.

Cons

This place is a total madhouse. Waste of talent, time, and hard work. You will spend all your time constantly redoing work on insane deadlines. Holidays, birthdays, etc.? Don't count on it, this company will infringe on any and all of your personal time while nickel and diming you on snacks (only for clients), expenses ($50 per diem which is insane for 3 meals), and no sick days - they're rolled up into your PTO. There's no real executive presence, and you'd be lucky if the CEO even looks your way - he probably has no idea what anyone's name is. Campaigns are idiotic and not because the creative talent isn't available, but probably because someone is being fired every other week.

Advice to Management

.Work on business practice. Value talent. Think about culture beyond free beers on a Friday and fake Summer Fridays (no one ends up taking these).

4. "Jr Account Executive"

I worked at Grupo Gallegos full-time

Pros

Beachfront, Bikes, indoor basketball court

Cons

Low pay for the amount of work

"Run for the hills!"

Former Employee - Account Service in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Account Service in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Grupo Gallegos full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Cool office space

- Good location (if you like Orange County)

Cons

- Used to be one of the hottest shops in the U.S. back in the 2000s. Innovative, top leaders in all disciplines (creative, media, production, etc.), great accounts. Now it's a shell of its former self.

- They only have Comcast (creative only) and a few tiny projects.

- CEO cut out all perks so he can fly on private planes.

- Low level, inexperienced staff. All the veteran brain power left years ago.

- Employees are encouraged to compete with and undermine each other.

- Management does not buy necessary basic resources so people can do their jobs.

- Dying to be a General Market shop but Creative product remains nothing more than traditional Hispanic capability.

Advice to Management

Disband, regroup and open up again as the Grupo Gallegos that ruled the industry.

6. "Good experience! Worked at GG for 3 years."

Former Employee - Translator in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Translator in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Grupo Gallegos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Creative and original building design, beachfront location, and relaxed atmosphere. The facilities have a deck/terrace, so employees can work from the deck while enjoying ocean breeze, sunshine, and a great view of the beach. GG's perks include a ping-pong table, a basketball court, indoor golf equipment, showers, lockers, beach bikes, and beverages (that’s right. They work hard and play hard). Aside from vacation time, employees are given one full week of paid time off during Christmas. Joe Da Silva (great leader and cool dude) started a great perk of a program, summer Fridays, which basically allows employees who are done with their work for the day (on Fridays in the summer) to leave as early as 1pm. Overall, the company has pretty amazing perks. Additionally, there is no micromanagement; you’re treated like the professional adult that you are and expected to perform that way too.

Cons

Frequent overtime required (but that’s the nature of the ad business).

Advice to Management

GG is an agency that has been growing and thriving for 15 years now. Something was done right. Keep that spirit alive. Take good care of Marta. Her dedication is a commodity.

"Strategy Department"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Grupo Gallegos full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Their office is one of the best offices in the US, really nice and open, gym, showers, basketball court... The location is also great in front of the Pacific ocean in Downtown Huntington Beach.
    Nice people.

Cons

Lack of innovation and confidence in new technologies. Still doing traditional advertising in the digital world. Lack of leadership to push the company forward.

Advice to Management

Open your mind, trust young millennials, stop doing advertising like in the 20th century.
    Last decisions to improve profits are based on cutting perks and benefits of the staff rather than creating larger company incomes. Too bad if you like good coffee Joe.

"NO BUENO"

Former Employee - Creative Director in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Creative Director in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Grupo Gallegos full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Pacific ocean, if you like the Pacific ocean.
    Doña Marta! Her smile and personality is a perk.

Cons

Few years ago, this was a hot agency… not any more. Sorry people, but a lot of bad things are happening at GG:

1) Almost all the descent/professional people left (I’m one of those lucky persons who scape the regime). Ask around and you’ll discover that people quit really quick and that there’s a lot of freelancers. NO BUENO

2) There’s an incredible lack of leadership and motivation. If you like people lying to you, going behind you, this is the place to work. A free snack bar and a free beer once in a while doesn’t count as “motivation”. NO BUENO

3) There’re no growing opportunities. With fewer accounts it is hard to get a raise or a promotion. Oh yeah, you will work A LOT, weekends, holidays, and after hours, ‘cos they are very good at that. NO BUENO

4) Salaries are awful, just a few “big shots” earn a good salary. NO BUENO

Did I mention the president’s EGO? Yes, he prefers to keep his private jet instead of keeping the good people. Really John?? Really… NO BUENO

Advice to Management

Go back to the 2006-2013 work plan. You were doing great those years.

9. "Hip"

Pros

Great location, office and work environment.

Cons

Abundance of freelancers, may be difficult to obtain permanent employment.

"Fun office, Great People, Nice Perks, Work hard Play hard"

I worked at Grupo Gallegos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture and the building are inspiring to say the least. My manager was very considerate to slowly ramping up my work based on my comfort level. That lasted about a week before I was dying to get immersed in the work and start contributing to my team like stated in my interviews. The work was challenging but manageable and my team was always made time to thoroughly train me. The office is filled with amazing people who are incredibly smart and hard-working. It was fast paced work hard play hard environment. Oh and did I mention they have a Cereal bar with milk stocked and it felt like there were mini fiestas every month?

Cons

While there are many characters in the office and teams, it was a little hard as a shy person to meet anyone outside of your team unless you go out of your way to make friends elsewhere. Fun planned events were sometimes spoiled by bad eggs that ruined it for the rest of us.

Advice to Management

I would suggest that management focus on the work and allow culture to build naturally through the staff. Provide a guiding hand to those that need it, and mentor staff to be leadership. Celebrate victories, birthdays, work anniversaries, and good work.