Guardian Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Designated Broker"

Current Employee - Designated Broker in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Designated Broker in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Guardian Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company. Diligent and knowledgeable employees. Terrific support.

Cons

I have nothing negative to state.

Advice to Management

Hire good people. Pay them well. Be loyal to them.

2. "Clean and by the books on the surface, underneath is a Horrible Mess"

Former Employee - Maintenance Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Maintenance Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at Guardian Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-If you are lucky enough to be at a newer or high profile property things are much better
    -If you know someone in upper management you can get preference over those with time or experience
    -A few paid holidays a year
    -Training and safety are legit on paper
    -Some employees are nice
    -Keep your head down, do what your told, and not complaining or rocking the boat will get you a paycheck

Cons

-Insurance was horrible, in 2016 $1200+ medical and dental for a family, more than your entire paycheck for most employees at that level. You're better off being unemployed and using OHP. What a broken system..
    -Even if you have more time and experience, you may be passed up by someone who has connections with upper management
    -In practice, training and safety have not always been a real world priority, a lot of pencil whipping and security violations.
    -Applicant privacy is not adequately protected. Socials, names, phone numbers, address, family members, are all over the place. Not properly stored or disposed of.
    -Corrupt upper management, favoritism plays heavily into your future and advancement, instead of you skill and abilities
    -All of the 6 properties I worked with were under staffed and overworked
    -One property manager is expected to do the work of 3 people, tedious redundant audits and inspections with the likes of NOAH, RD, HUD, Section 8, bills, rent, utilities, evictions, enforcement, hiring, screening, vendors, bids, recerts, violations, ect. ect. for hundreds of tenants. It is truly ridiculous.
    -Employee turnover is very high. If you last longer than a year, a new property manager every 6-12 months is common. I saw 8 of my property managers come and go in my 3 years with the company.

Advice to Management

Stop cutting corners and penny pinching. Provide adequate staff and supplies for the job. Don't fire and hire just to save a few dollars on benefits and retirement.

3. "Kitchen Manager"

Current Employee - Executive Kitchen Manager in Port Townsend, WA
    Current Employee - Executive Kitchen Manager in Port Townsend, WA

I have been working at Guardian Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A great work experience with great people, and a very satisfying work environment.

Cons

I have nothing bad or negative to say about Guardian.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

4. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Salem, OR

I worked at Guardian Management part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice atmosphere and the grounds were kept looking nice, grass mowed, flowers and all around a decent place to work.

Cons

They expect a lot from u for little pay. Not enough training and training is 50 miles away. Have u doing fulltime work and played for part time.

Advice to Management

Maybe you could pay employees based on the amount of responsibility and not solely based on part time or full time. Don't expect people to know everything give them training.

5. "maintenance supervisor /Baby sitter"

Former Employee - Maintenance Lead in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Maintenance Lead in Portland, OR

I worked at Guardian Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked at Guardian for 10 years. In that ten years I was able to increase my knowledge and experience honed in my skill's

Cons

As I said I was there 10years they were filled with lies and fails promises.At every turn I was met with management that took credit for ideas that either my Teck or I came up with . Only the best ideas,the ones that didn't work or could not be used was left alone or the manager claimed to not know about it
    The worst thing was when the property sold I was laid off corporate claimed there were no opening anywhere but when I looked there were 3 . When I emailed the PM to see about the possibility of said they didn't have them,more lies. The cons are no loyalty.I worked for 10years with no complaints call backs or right UPS and in the end they let me go .Now my wife and I are living in a vehicle. Everytime they had someone who needed placement they sent them to me , when I needed it they me go . TAKE MY ADVICE, STAY CLEAR OF GUARDIAN...

Advice to Management

TREATMENT OF PEOPLE,MAKE IT FAIR. IF YOU OR SOMEONE IN A POSITION OF POWER SAYS SOMETHING FOLLOW THROUGH. IF YOU CANT BE HONEST WITH EMPLOYEES THEN JUST DON'T. MY EXPERIENCE WAS NOT GREAT MOST OF THE TIME.TRY NOT TO DO IT TO ANYWAY ELSE.........

6. "Restoration maintenance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Guardian Management (More than a year)

Pros

Good people flexible hours good pay

Cons

Nothing out of the ordinary

7. "project manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

they great very good company very profesional but it was not on my goals and they travel alot all around usa.

Cons

they not promise wherever they put or said on the contract and I not apreciate that

Advice to Management

well for my experience I deserve an oportunity to group up,

"Realistic and satisfied team member"

I have been working at Guardian Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Guardian, like most companies I have worked for, will require a period of getting to know one another and build trust, a period where you are checking one another out. This is the point where I kept my head down, ears open, worked hard and tried to demonstrate that I was truly looking for a long term position where I was going to continue to be challenged and appreciated for my work. I found during my first year of employment, though I had two different managers, that I was recognized for my work and given additional assignments to further my growth. While I worked additional hours at times, they certainly were not unreasonable and it was really my choice and as an exempt employee OT was not an issue as regards to pay. I found the culture to be reasonable, lots of right things said, almost all of them done. While I am not wealthy, I am paid competitively for my work, though more money is always beneficial. I hope that I continue on the path I have started with additional responsibilities as I have seen increases in salary with the additional responsibilities to date.
    The corporate office management seems to be open, accessible and reasonable. My own experience is that they are always willing to assist and help, though everything takes time. No micromanagement. The management leadership 2 day conference is an excellent educational and team building conference. Time off is good and work life balance is fine from what I see.

Cons

Communication company wide can always be better. Medical benefits are decent, though they pay for a part of the employee insurance only, none of the dependents.
    Need to listen to employees regarding concerns about potential wrong doing of other staff

Advice to Management

Consider health insurance costs and doing more. Appreciate your employees, all of them, as often as possible. Make yourselves known. Consider more bonus potentials.

9. "Pretty good at property management"

I worked at Guardian Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good properties. Decent benefits. Nice people.

Cons

Make promises that aren't kept.

Advice to Management

Be more aware of what your managers are doing.

10. "Love my properties and my team!"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Guardian Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities with of room for growth, promotions available from within, lots of autonomy and empowerment to own your position and succeed. But you do have to work hard and earn every bit of it (which makes total sense!). I have the privilage to work for awesome properties in the heart of Portland, with such an amazing group of people (my manager, and 2 person maintenance team). We work hard and share the successes of overcoming daily challenges, low turnovers, almost constant 100% occupancy, and happy residents. I have only worked for there two buildings within Guardian, so I can only speak for my team and my own experience, which has been very positive.

Cons

No commisions on rentals nor lease renewals. Not enough incentives, and low bonuses.

Advice to Management

Monetary incentives and more personalized recognition would definitely be appreciated, and would add to the job satisfaction. But for me personally, the greatest reward has been being a part of such a great on site team!