Guardian Protection Services Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Guardian Protection Services CEO Russell L. Cersosimo
Russell L. Cersosimo

Pros
  • Good and cheap benefits, decent pay but on the low end for customer service (in 4 reviews)

• good benefits and employees are friendly (in 4 reviews)

1. "Customer Service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warrendale, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warrendale, PA

I worked at Guardian Protection Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits from day 1.
    Ability to transfer to Arizona if you are so inclined to move from PA.

Cons

Unlike most companies which give you to the end of the month, Benefits are terminated immediately upon your leave from company.
    Heavy employee turnover.

Advice to Management

Companies and Management which treat their employees as Assets instead of Liabilities, have happier employees who perform better and treat their customer's better, resulting in a better Bottom Line.

"Culture of Indentured Servitude"

Former Employee - IT Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - IT Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Guardian Protection Services full-time

Pros

There is ample parking in a good location that is handy to the restaurants and shops of Cranberry. There is an on-site gym and locker rooms. It is generally a very stable company.

Cons

This is a "family run" company that is one of the most culturally backward places I've ever experienced. Overall employee morale and resentment is terrible. Condescending emails from corporate and HR are routine. They formally require 5 hours of unpaid overtime every week from all salaried employees, regardless of what is going on with projects -- and they regularly show charts to demonstrate whether this requirement is being met. They have keyed entries for the bathrooms. During my time there, it was nearly impossible to join their on-site gym because they limited membership to the point that I rarely saw more than one person in a room full of 8 or 9 pieces of equipment. Their IT processes are manual and cumbersome, imposing all kinds of error-prone busy work that could easily be handled by automation. When problems do occur, the executives engage in meetings full of hand wringing and public chastisement of the IT people for "allowing" the problem to occur, while simultaneously keeping a blind eye to the actual root cause and their own culpability. The ultimate frustration, though, is the inability to actually fix or change anything due to being handcuffed by policies from corporate owners in Butler who eagerly set rules about things they don't understand. In the end, good people leave.

Advice to Management

Stop looking at employees as indentured servants who owe you a debt of gratitude and recognize that their efforts are the only reason you are able to exist. A good employee wants to work with other good employees and accomplish good things for the company. Therefore, you must make a concerted effort to find and keep good people and empower them to do their work. You lose a ton of productivity due to management philosophy and company culture.

3. "Home Technology Specialist"

Current Employee - Home Technology Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Home Technology Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Guardian Protection Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging job, interesting product portfolio, great schedule, work from home

Cons

Management. The pain point of the remote sales staff are simple to fix however the upper management have no interest in even entertaining fixing them. The management (in the southeast region) has shown ineptitude on multiple fronts, primarily dealing with people. The pay is listed as the best in the industry however there is truly a limited amount a remote sales associate can make. The company itself is incredibly antiquated (using carbon copy paper for contracts, no technology involved in the operations side) which is shocking for a technology company. In my region, I met a few of the upper management, and unfortunately I did not desire to be like any of them and that is a problem. Finally, they treat you like a sub contractor although you are a W-2. If you are unlucky enough to be a remote sales staff they require you to purchase all necessary equipment to do your job without reimbursement. You also expected to travel over 1k miles per week to sales meetings and take appointments, again with no reimbursement. Everything about this company screams cheap, from the way they do not reimburse anything to their pay plan, to their low tech outdated paperwork process. Overall it took less than a few weeks to realize this was not a company to commit to long term and over the year of employment they fortified that decision a million times over.

Advice to Management

Take care of your biggest asset, your sales staff. There are simple little fixes that would cause top talent to stay however management seemingly cared only about protecting their bottom line. Unfortunately that strategy squelched their bottom line and after changing the compensation plan to be motivating and lucrative, they are seeing a revolving door with their employees.

"It's ok, if you don't want reviews or raises."

Former Employee - Installation in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Installation in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Guardian Protection Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Coworkers, for the most part are nice. They have great benefits that start on your 1st day.

Cons

No tech support, always referred to manufactures tech supt. Local office doesn't have a clue on time it takes for installs/service calls. There's a girl that runs the technicians and has a lot of personal problems that gets brought into the work environment. She's emotional and has a lot of inabilities. Really, just an overpaid babysitter/paper pusher.

Advice to Management

Get education on equipment being installed, time it takes to do a quality job, and get a grip on what a technician goes through to get the job done!

6. "A Paycheck and little else"

Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Warrendale, PA
    Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Warrendale, PA

I worked at Guardian Protection Services as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

They have pretty good health insurance. The are pretty easy to get a job with because they are ALWAYS hiring, the turnover rate is the highest I have seen anywhere. If you can last a year in customer service you can move to other departments. They train you for 3 months and if you work in customer service you have the help desk to call get easy access to help.

Cons

They put too much work on a person during a call. If you are on a call for too long, they hold it against you, if you don't pitch their latest unnecessary product they hold that against you. If you transfer a customer to another department sometimes other employees are rude to you. The shifts are bid for and are all over the place so you need to have flexibility. They pay is not on par with the stress level. Call volume is very high on a consistent basis.

Advice to Management

Don't hold it against people if they are late for their break because they were on a call helping a customer. Monitor how other employees treat other employees on the phones during transfers.

7. "Management was hapless and seemed to flounder. Cutting costs was valued over client well being."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Guardian Protection Services part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management shared stories at meetings about interventions that promoted individuals rights to self determination.

Cons

Overworked staff, too many clients to effectively provide timely service. Charged clients individually for their checking fees. These individuals received very little in benefits. Human Resource decisions seemed to be made without any attempt to provide feedback to assist staff in tough clinical decision making. Counstant struggling for resources made staff interactions difficult. Fear of clients causing problem in building meant that clients who came to location felt unwelcome.

"The company is going to have to improve upon certain things if they want to be on the cover of SDM Magazine again"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Guardian Protection Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid training, good food, friendly/resourceful people, decent pay and benefits.

Cons

Guardian Protection Services needs to make some major leaps and bounds if they want to stay in the competition and back on the front cover of SDM Magazine.

I would advise the company to conduct better research upon the products that they're selling to their customers. I understand from a business stand point of view that they want to sell all the bells and whistles and providing their customers with a "piece of mind". However a lot of the newer GE & Honeywell security systems (ex. touchscreens) still have some technical bugs that need to be fixed and worked out and therefore leading me into my next point which is a definite must. I would strongly advise that the onsite sales reps. always encourage the prosperous customers to get the "Extended Repair Agreement" and explain what it is to the customer so they are not having to pay an unreasonably high amount of money (Time & Material rates) to have work done if something is to go wrong with their security system. This isn't just going to be helpful for the customer and saving them money but the business as well in generating higher profits & revenue. The cost of some certain extra added devices are a bit unreasonably high as well and should be lowered to a much more reasonable and affordable cost. Also from another business stand point of view, the company should invest a lot more time and energy researching these 3rd party dealers that they collaborate with and the technicians that they're bringing on-board as well.

There is a lot of miscommunication on the customer service floor and other departments all around too. My advice to management is to clean up this circle of confusion & misinformation. I can't begin to even tell you how many times that I had customers call in and complain saying to me that this rep. told him/her that but another rep. said something or offered something entirely different and I would check the system notes/comments but nothing was ever noted or specified. Please and I cannot emphasize this enough when I say this but they need to train their employees to leave more detailed notes. It will expedite the reps. call and leaving the rep. with a good call handle time. Another topic I would like to discuss and share is the Quality Assurance grading (which I found to be helpful and ridiculous). One day of every week all the customer service reps. would meet with their Supervisor/Team Leader individually in a room and listen to one or two of your call(s) and review how you had done in the past week. Your supervisor/team leader grades your call(s) based upon what's called a Quality Assurance sheet. Which is a grading sheet that's listed with all the "professional requirements" of things you have to say to the customer from saying "Please and Thank You" to "Offering additional assistance" and the list goes on from there. If you had missed anything on the list of those things to say or ask, or if your TL didn't like what you had said to the customer whether it was good or bad based upon their own individual opinion then you would get docked points which would effect your QA score and your QA scores would later on effect your rank/position for the shift bid which I found to be highly ridiculous. Management needs to look more into this. I think it's a terrible business tactic/idea when scheduling employees. I would like to address and shed some light on the amount of micro-management that goes on within the company. When employees are having conversations, whether it would be in the smoking area outside, the cafeteria, neighboring cubicles or even on the phone with the customers. If it's not negatively effecting the customers, other employees around them or their ability to work then I would strongly advise that certain TL's/Supervisors and managers to back off and to stop confronting their employee(s) and talking down to them. I know that some certain TL's and managers tend to get on these power rants because of their superiority within the company but I would advise them to be a lot more respectful towards the other reps.

Last but not least. This place can be a "rumor mill" as someone else stated in a previous comment. Use your best judgement and cover yourself because certain employees in this workplace do like to stir up drama, rumors, and gossip about other employees. Which does occur in a lot of workplaces. However this should not be tolerated in a "professional working environment". I would strongly encourage management to look into this as well and take the proper disciplinary action(s) necessary.

Advice to Management

I was a business major and graduated with a bachelors degree in business administration so my advice to management is to be more understanding and caring of your employees within the company. Micromanagement is highly unnecessary.

"Too much going on and no one knows how to manage it"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Warrendale, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Warrendale, PA

I have been working at Guardian Protection Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone there is very nice and very helpful.

Cons

Everything contradicts itself. As a customer service agent, they have so many procedures for things it is ridiculous. Also when you need help someone will provide you wrong information and then later you get "pinged" for it.

Advice to Management

Provide better management of the company. I recommend dividing CSR work in to different groups, for example having a group do the cancellations, another group the troubleshooting, another group the service calls and another group doing the billing. It is too overwhelming the information for only one person.

10. "Good income when the housing market was booming"

Former Employee - Builder Consultant in Glen Burnie, MD
    Former Employee - Builder Consultant in Glen Burnie, MD

Pros

I worked in the low voltage home technologies division, the best thing about the job was they allowed you to set your own schedule

Cons

Base salary is only $24,000 a year, no mileage reimbursment and no cell phone, given the tough economic climate, the average sale has plummeted, and a rising number of homeowners can't afford to purchase anything beyond the builder provided standards, at my branch even the most successful sales reps. have seen their income slashed

Advice to Management

Raise salary and reimburse your sales reps. for mileage, tolls, cellphone, etc.

"Accountant/Analyst"

Pros

Nice facility, standard benefits, semi-flexible work hours, ample parking, close proximity to retail establishments, restaurants, gas stations, banking etc.

Cons

Depending upon department, favoritism plays a huge role. Unsympathetic to legitimate family hardships, reward nonperformers, 100% delegation with 0% credit

Advice to Management

In order to procure and retain competent professionals, do your homework. Establish clear objectives, know your employees (take the blinders off) and reward those who exceed objectives accordingly