Guavus Reviews in San Mateo, CA | Glassdoor

San Mateo, CA

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Anukool Lakhina

Pros
Cons
  • Not so strong middle management (in 5 reviews)

• A suffocating work environment only good for those who don't want to grow (in 4 reviews)

"Lots of Potential, Upward Swing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Guavus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As with most startups, the company has had its shares of challenges, but with the most recent executive changes and customer wins the company is squarely pointed in the right direction and has an enormous market opportunity in front of it and has significant potential to dominate.

Cons

Continue to improve communications and commit to more transparency as appropriate.

Advice to Management

Stay focused, continue to make strong hires.

"great products, smart people, not so good mgmt"

I worked at Guavus full-time

Pros

The people are very smart, and the product performs really well. The customers seem to really like what they've purchased.

Cons

You tend to get silo'd into your own little fiefdom which makes teamwork challenging. The various products are different enough that learning one doesn't mean you know the details of another. Engineering and support is heavily focused on India, which makes for a lot of late nights to work with people.

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to create better teamwork. Also, reduce the layers between the bottom and the top. Seems to be too top heavy.

"New Management, New Focus, Great Potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Guavus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is exciting. With the recent changes in leadership, I have seen big changes in the dynamic of the business, much more clear product vision, and improved customer access.

Cons

People hide behind email too much. I prefer direct conversations or a quick phone call.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on a small number of great products. Focus on customer needs and avoid chasing fads.

"Learned through self-directed trial and error."

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Guavus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people, the build out, and the facilities made for a warm and inviting environment.

Cons

The politics seem to be a common theme (speaking for San Mateo location). Professional development is nonexistent.

Advice to Management

Invest in people.

"Great potential - destined to fail"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Guavus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great product and idea; Anukool was a true visionary and was great to work with.
    Some of the best and brightest in the business work at Guavus.
    Cutting edge product that could deliver amazing results
    Huge customers with unlimited sales potential and growth markets that are barely tapped.

Cons

A very old Startup that keeps re-inventing the product and its vision.
    Revolving door - between layoffs, firings, and people quitting.
    Infighting and politics waste too much time; needs to get back on track.
    Core business keeps getting lost; too many products.

Advice to Management

Flatten the company and clear out management and non-technical staff. Stop letting them fire and layoff all your "IP"; while keeping the leftover dead weight.

Adopt a 0 tolerance policy for infighting and politics.

"Stay away -- will fail."

I worked at Guavus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The original vision was good, and the CEO has his heart in the right place. The engineering product is very good and they have some great (but wasted) talent.

Cons

Where to start? Sales team sucks big time. Endless sales cycles with multiple teams working for nought. Can't figure out what they want to be; a platform or a product company and it's too late now. Middle management is full of highly incompetent people; some directors don't know the basics of analytics or technology which is shocking and would be comical, but is downright tragic. Not transparent at all; at least in San Mateo office. No long term vision, work is strictly just to do the bare minimum to please whatever little number of customers that exist, and presumably to appease the investors by making quick money. No investment in people, and as such you are treated like another warm body till someone else takes your place. You get hired and put to work on pointless, mind numbing work. Options are diluted as hell, so no one is making money out of this endeavor. Compared to other valley companies, zero perks.

Advice to Management

It's too late now, but if there is a new endeavor, please take a long term view and please invest in people and fostering talent. Take time and hire bright people, and make them count. Don't be afraid to get rid of incompetent people, irrespective of the fact that they were one of the original few employees.

"It started out great but with a management change it was time for me to move on."

Former Employee - Accounts Payable in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Guavus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture within the team was amazing. It was the first accounting team I worked on that really liked working together.

Cons

The growing pains were a bit too much. I think there might have been too many chiefs and not enough indians.

"Falling knife...can they survive?"

I worked at Guavus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Once was a high flying technology company
    - Used to be considered a leader in big data analytics
    - Was filled with good people that cared

Cons

- After three rounds of layoffs, the best people all founds jobs and departed
    - The company is not closing deals fast enough which calls into question the cash position and burn rate
    - Detrimental executive hires with rampant political survival behavior
    - Too many risks that will hinder survival

Advice to Management

Change out:
    - Executive team
    - Sales team

"So much wasted potential…"

I worked at Guavus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the freedom to work from home and the opportunity to travel. The people I met were of generally high caliber, technically speaking. The compensation was decent, but not outstanding.

Cons

The continuous contention between US systems architects and deployment managers and the India-based engineering team made for a frustrating work environment. It constantly felt like our requests fell on deaf ears. It frequently felt like the engineering team had a thin skin, and that pointing out problem areas was interpreted as some kind of personal attack, or judgment of their competency. As a result, the work environment had an "us vs. them" feel. Over time, I felt like I was constantly pushing for changes I wanted to see, but nobody listened, or perhaps nobody cared. I felt like my energy to improve the company—which I wanted to do—was being stifled and crushed.

Advice to Management

Please not only listen to employee concerns and complaints, but actually act on them. If you do not, sooner or later your employees will go somewhere their voices will be heard and feel like their contributions will have an impact.

"Burning the candle at both ends..."

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Guavus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice home office. Great people and some nice technology.

Cons

They are falling behind and have not managed their money well. Recently had huge lay offs for support teams. Now people are being asked to do the work of 2 or 3 people. A lot of work and not enough man power to deliver. Slow to make changes and deliver newer cutting edge solutions and competitors are starting to out pace them.

Advice to Management

Need less layers of management and more worker bees.