Gucci America Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Edward Taylor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great company, great outlook"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gucci America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every time a change is made it seems for the better. Great new upper management. During corporate visits I am listened to, and know my feedback is considered. Generous amenities in regards to trainings etc. We are encouraged to go above and beyond with clients, and are often given special opportunities with events, marketings tools etc.

Cons

Secret shop program seems inconsistent. Both in an under-rating, and over-rating sense. The training tools are all complicated. The product training could be better as far as in-person demonstration etc. the trainers only focus on all the behaviors training.

Advice to Management

Continue the momentum! Keep up the celebrating!

Now that sale isn't in full price stores consider a special employee sale before it goes back?

2. "Pros Outweigh Cons"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sales Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sales Corner, VA

I worked at Gucci America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is opportunity to grow within your realm you just have to put in the work...

Cons

The cons are really in management. Not every manager is a leader. Anyone can "manage", but it takes a special person to lead and set that example. Being friends with employees isn't a good idea as it breeds problems and biased opinions and attitudes, nor is gossiping with the associates about other associates and managers. Racist comments are not a good look either, neither is being a bully, back stabber, or all around drama king or queen. It seems being a bully qualifies as being a leader now adays.

Advice to Management

Be mature. Be fair. Stop creating drama in order to control everyone. Embrace diversity. Also having a sense of fashion helps as well. Corporate listen to your employees and offer assistance. Harassment on the job isn't funny, neither is bullying.

3. "excellent"

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Gucci America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great benefits, good overall commission, advance opportunities (depending on your manager)

Cons

a lot of work that they initially don't tell you, you'll advance depending on your managers support

4. "Great company with solid infastructure"

Former Employee - Public Relations Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Public Relations Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Gucci America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid base salary, strong bonus structure depending on company performance

Cons

Challenging to work alongside Italian HQ

"It's Not Worth the Money"

Former Employee - Area Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Gucci America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best discounts in luxury retail
    One of the higher paying brands
    A very tech savvy brand

Cons

Very poor management
    Long hours and extra days
    Management and corporate are unappreciative
    Lazy people stay employed
    Management doesn't know how to run a business

Advice to Management

There is a difference between being a boss and a manager. Growing your employees is the most important aspect of your business. Sales shouldn't come first, your employees should. Upper management and HR need to learn how to do their jobs and grow a backbone. If you're going to be a manager, LEARN HOW TO RUN A BUSINESS AND BE A LEADER.

6. "Great company"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Manhasset, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Manhasset, NY

I worked at Gucci America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

i love the product making the sale natural and enjoyable

Cons

I don't find any negatives with working for gucci

Advice to Management

Give the people who really want to work for Gucci because they love the line the opportunity even if their credentials are not as impressive as others.

"Bully Breeding Ground"

Former Employee - Fraud Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Fraud Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

Having this brand on your resume will open other professional doors, leftover food from other department gatherings, nice new facility that's close to most major subway and commuter transit, discounts if you like to splurge on overpriced retail ;)

Cons

Behind the brand are the snobs trying to keep everyone out.

Gucci is on this campaign about being "global" and trying to showcase how everyone fits into their brand. But 5 minutes in their new suite is a chilly environment that doesn't embrace everyone.

First off, the open floor plan doesn't premote interacting, but rather exclusivity. I can't tell you how many times my "hellos" and "good mornings" went unresponded to. Even my own team. Sometimes something as minimal as getting a coffee near a chatting group, made people stop their conversation and stare.

Yes, they're expanding but it seems new additions are feeling the pushback from employees with seniority.

My manager was just about 2 months in to his position and didn't know as much as the team he oversaw, so my trainer took full advantage of him:

Constantly correcting him in a condescending manner, not training me, withholding information, disappearing to gossip on the work floor (on company time), berating the manager (to his face and behind his back), calling out or leaving early - leaving me with her work responsibilities i wasn't prepared for.

Basically, the person assigned to train me held the position for 2 years and her peers left before she could, so she's miserable. She wouldn't interact with me on a personal or professional level, which made things terribly awkward. (Eg: I ask a open ended question and get a 2 word response. Someone else asks the same question and it turns into a long winded chat)

Everyone admits she's a hostile person behind her back, but wouldn't challenge her because she's the only person trained to fill her role. After a month, I only had 15 minutes worth of click path training and no clear instructions on software, expectations, or processes. No ongoing feedback.

After a really busy Monday, i forced myself to verbally ask how i performed and was told that another team member had helped with the volume and that's why we did ok. So much for morale! I was so exhausted from trying to teach myself and navigate her weird personality, that I became a robot.

My manager did nothing to help, as he put it "I need her more than she needs me, so let's ask so and so for some help. "

Needless to say, I was let go after a review citing no evidence of low performance (because I trained myself and logged all my performance/hours ), but was told I couldn't be a "leader" and challenge my trainer's personality ... (Although I was hired for a passive supporting role)

All in all, I got some hands on experience and from the experience can take away that I'm better than this environment. It's not worth tolerating the shark infested waters of Gucci.

Advice to Management

Be more involved in your team building. Make it clear that you’re available to talk about performance concerns at any time!!!

Don't leave any team members isolated. Provide ongoing evaluations. Talk to the trainers to oversee their training procedure before they begin training.

Give praise and criticism in equal measure, as deserved. The longer an employee persists in indecision or in a bad behavior, the harder it will be to correct later.

8. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

Pros

Generous commission plan for good sales associate

Cons

Difficult clients can be draining

Advice to Management

Spend more time on sales floor!

9. "Good"

Pros

Good HR and coworkers
    Helpful manager

Cons

Income is not so high

"Been with the company 4 years and the people I work with are passionate about the product and the history of the brand."

Former Employee - General Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - General Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Gucci America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The potential to advance, and support to move from store to store. Generous company with great healthcare and 401K benefits.

Cons

Advancement is given to people with less experience and who are more visible to upper management. No consistency with training and development. Difficult to manage training schedules. Company creates positions for the sake of advancement.

Advice to Management

DO NOT MICROMANAGE!!! Upper management must be more visible at store levels. Limit points of distribution.