Guess? Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Victor Herrero

Pros
Cons
  • Store management doesn't provide much work life balance (in 24 reviews)

• Alot of pressure from management to meet store sales goals as well as your individual sales quota (in 38 reviews)

1. "Cooo"

I have been working at Guess? part-time

Pros

Nice people , great GM and friedndly

Cons

The hours are lame 4 hour shifts everyday

2. "Assistant Manager"

I have been working at Guess? full-time

Pros

Great company culture but the upper management was absolutely horrible.

Cons

The pay is too little compared to the amount of work you put in.

3. "Overall good but needs better employee's!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Gilroy, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Gilroy, CA

I have been working at Guess? part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're into fashion & not just working here for the pay, you'll love it. GUESS is always spot on with trends & the prices are great. When things go wrong within the company, it's usually handled very quickly. The employee discount PLUS all the bonus days are great, better than most companies. Amazing environment & always upbeat.

Cons

I think there should be a better way of doing the hiring. Some type of higher up should come in to our store without us knowing you work for the company to see how we interact or how sales associates/managers treat the customers. Not only in my store, but in all the GUESS stores i have gone into, as a customer & employee, the associates/managers are insanely rude, judgemental, lazy & stuck up. I can count on one hand, how many of them are actually nice & willing to help you without it seeming like a chore. Before I worked for GUESS, tons of people I know complained about how they hate coming in because they are always treated like they're a bother or the associate is rude. As an employee, I've noticed that with only a couple of my associates, but a lot more while transferring to other GUESS stores. The associates are so rude & get so annoyed when asked for help, which should be expected when it's another GUESS store helping them out & doesn't know where everything is or who everyone is. I've also had customers complain to me about the other GUESS stores about how rude they are, that they even want certain members fired for it. I love this company, but the associates & managers need some reinforcement on how to treat eachother & customers.

Advice to Management

Do check ups in person not only on your product, but on the employee's.

5. "great company to start off a career in retail"

I have been working at Guess? full-time

Pros

there is growth and development within the company, they have great rules, standArds and values, a company that will challenge you to think outside the box and do things that you might not think you could do.

Cons

a lot of work for not equal compensation at top level stores

Advice to Management

pay your management team better and you will receive better results and have higher retention

6. "Guess? is a great place to build a career"

Current Employee - Product Development Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Product Development Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Guess? full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been at Guess over 6 years and have found amazing opportunities for growth and development. Senior management is always open to allowing a person to spread their wings, try new things and truly own their career trajectory. I've found that if you're able to rise to the challenges before you, then you will be rewarded for your efforts. But, in the day to day, the best thing about the company is the strong sense of community among the teams. We're all so passionate about what we do every day, and are real partners, working together to make great product.

Cons

The fashion industry as a whole is facing challenges in the current retail space, and Guess is no different. But, the leadership is nimble and creative in facing those challenges head on and will come out stronger for it in the end.

Advice to Management

There is a big issue with brand perception which needs to be addressed. I wish our current social media presence and advertising highlighted the new, more fashion forward aesthetic of the line, rather than just the sexy vibe that we've always been known for.

7. "Retail Employee Review"

I have been working at Guess? part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- starting pay is higher than other retail jobs
    - due to the lack of staff, holiday season associate hours were increased

Cons

- top management puts way too much pressure on retail managers and associates
    - assigns too many high priority tasks that need to be accompished while fulfilling selling goals
    - sets unrealistic goals
    - less likely to promote within

Advice to Management

If you are going to assign more tasks to lower managements and teams, show greater appreciation for the work they do.

8. "Heavy workload and angry customers."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Guess? (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good discount. Love the ad campaigns. That's is obviously where the money goes. Joe Jonas and Hailey Baldwin are both amazing and liked celebrities.

Cons

Heavy workload, customers call you racist because the company expects you to use recovery statements when people steal. They want you to follow customers around and make sure they don't steal.

Advice to Management

If DMs and regionals expect employees to "service customers" to avoid theft, they should lead by example.

"Heart Guess"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Guess? part-time

Pros

40% discount and we have an awesome staff. I like working at Guess in las Vegas we have a great staff and they really do try to make it easier on everyone. We do NOT have to wear the Guess brand it just has to look similar and we all genuinely like each other. The managers invite us over to parties they are having and vice versa. They let us ask for our breaks and try to get you to them within five to eight minutes of you asking. We DO get an hour for our lunches if you are working a full shift if you're working part time then yes you get a half hour but that's the same at any place I've worked. They give you multiple breaks throughout the day if you aren't working a full shift just so you cab sit and breath. In our store they don't get on you about the sale quota if you don't make it they will give you less hours for obvious reasons but for the most part everyone works pretty much the same hours.

Cons

We have to wear the guess sneakers in order to wear sneakers and you can only wear certain clothes which kinda of defeats the purpose of wearing the clothes.

Advice to Management

We should be able to wear everything from the store because you want everything to sell. Most of the stuff I've worn has sold in the store simply because I had it on and the clients want what I'm wearing. We should also get a clothing allowance because at 10.50 hr we can't really afford to buy clothes up front and still pay bills. Most of us get jobs to pay bills not buy clothes. We also should be allowed to dress on trend meaning that if it is winter we should be allowed to wear all the winter items give the customer a cgnace to see how to dress it other than whats suggested by guess. Most people stop and see what we're wearing as they walk by and then decide to come in. I am usually up front because management likes to put the girls who look modelish in front so give us a chance to fully represent the brand.

10. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Guess? (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work. Most employees are nice and happy to help. There are a lot of Central American tourists so if you don't speak Spanish you will need your coworkers to help you make sales.

Cons

Hours are based on how much you sell. It's hard to get better at selling when you don't get hours to practice.

Advice to Management

Help employees with low SPH learn good selling techniques.

11. "Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Retoucher in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Retoucher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Guess? (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing team of people, great pay, and love the work.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say!