Guess? Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 19, 2018

1.0
Victor Herrero

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You get 40% off purchases as an employee discount (in 92 reviews)

• Good Discount, management is amazing to work with (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Store management doesn't provide much work life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Disconect between upper Management (in 48 reviews)

1. "Truly Disappointing"

Former Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Guess? full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great and clean office space (open layout)

Cons

Horrible work culture, no formal training practices, lack of management and structure, and people are overworked without being compensated correctly.

Advice to Management

Invest in the people you're hiring and put better proper training practices in place.

2. "Avoid the development department!!!"

I have been working at Guess? full-time

Pros

You will grow your contacts in the industry, benefits are good, pay is average but not bad.

Cons

Avoid the development department!!!

You will grow your contact in the industry - benefits are good.

Been with the company for close to 10yrs, in the development for 5, my department has taken a nose dive, they hire leaders with no experience and no clue or common sense of the true industry process. Our new director has completely redefined how bad it can get, she has been with us for a few months, extremely incompetent, lack of leadership, knowledge that is useless even for Jr. Developer, days are spent cleaning up her messes and back tracking negative issues.

Over it, been looking to get out, in the company and outside the company, a few other in our department are desperate to jump ship.

Again, avoid this department, you will regret it……

Advice to Management

Hire a competent leader, someone how can guide and inspire before its too late!

"sales associate"

Pros

Can not think of any

Cons

No commission = lack of incentive
    Poor management
    Lack of integrity

Advice to Management

Give credit where credit is due

4. "It's ok but at the same time not that good."

Former Employee - Desk Associate in Miami Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Desk Associate in Miami Beach, FL

I worked at Guess? part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best reasons to work at guess is the salary... the people I worked with my co-workers they were like family. some managers even a customer complains for any not smart reason the managers always asked what happen and they have your side instead of the customer. they don't make you feel down for them. other every event they give people gifts the gift they are left all the employees can take the rest for free.. that a nice gift for us who worked hard. other thing in stock room ... I basically did everything my title was Desk associate.. but they always use me for stock , for lead, for anything there........ well the other good thing in stock you can use your phone and play your music if you want to bring your speaker you could and listen at loud.. its part time but they give you 40 hours a week if they are making money that week...in the lowest hours is 20... if they don't like you they give you 1 day 6 hours or 12 hours. if they give you that... that means you have to look for something else...

Cons

the downsides were.... some managers they judge you for how you are dress, what you eat, how your hair is, your makeup, everything.... there is a dress code but the dress code is so simple for them so they make you buy cloth from the store they give you 40% discount and sometimes 50% but that's nothing because the cloth is so expensive. the dress code makeup has to be natural . manager even if it is natural they all tell you it doesn't look good you have to wear this and that... always making you feel horrible. they want you to wear heels and the dress code said something else.. well they want you to wear heels all the time. when the stock manager needed help in stock the managers in the floor always said you have to bring heel just in case we need you on the floor. I cant wear heels they know that I try to wear wedges they said those are not good they don't look good. it has to be from the store. all cloth all shoes is from the store. the shoes there are so uncomfortable for the high price is not worth it... for so much judgment and all the criticism they were giving me and one time I was sick I couldn't even move from bed one manager called and told me I don't care if your sick or dying if your schedule to work you have to come no matter what... one of my family died they didn't let me go home . they didn't let me stay home with my family . just because of all that I lost my self teem I went on depressing for months. but thank God I find a job and quit and feeling everyday better. also they always say they are going to change you for team leader but is for you to keep working harder and every time they want you to be their puppy and listen to every order you go and do it because they know you want to grow... not all places are like that but this one... was like that...

Advice to Management

my advice is ..... stop judging , stop talking bad about people, everyone have their own look. mine was simple but it was right for dress code policy.

5. "Smh"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Guess? part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool coworkers and flexible scheduling.

Cons

A lot of work for little pay. Company hires a lot of PT workers and gives them all very little hours to avoid paying fewer employees full time pay. Black Friday and holidays are a nightmare! Don't do it.

Advice to Management

Pay a living wage and give more hours.

6. "Company Going Downhill"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Guess? part-time

Pros

I loved my manger she was more like a good friend then a strict

Cons

Nobody ever came in my store
    hours were based off of how much we sell but the company is going downhill
    can't sell a product that nobody wants
    the merchandise is very early 2000's
    got little to no hours they were giving out almost 3 hours a shift
    I'm certain they are going out of business soon

Advice to Management

good luck closing down

7. "Working at Guess"

Former Employee - Sales A in Dawsonville, GA
    Former Employee - Sales A in Dawsonville, GA

I worked at Guess? part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a store discount and it provides you with difficult work experience.

Cons

Terrible leadership. Managers have no idea what they are doing or what corporate wants them to do. They are constantly changing out managers. The managers do not know how to separate personal conversation from professional conversation. The scheduling is unpredictable. The managers constantly undermined each other. No one respected the store or the brand in general.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to run your stores without severe conflict between associates, management, and corporate.

8. "HORRIBLE"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McAllen, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McAllen, TX

I worked at Guess? part-time (More than a year)

Pros

discount is the only real pro

Cons

Horrible management
    Manager karen and susan have horrible communication, they Stuck ups to the new manager
    Fire people because of their figure
    Have to use full make up and wear heels for more than 8 hours
    Injust with scheduele org.
    Hipocrits
    DISCRIMINATION WITH GAY PEOPLE.

Advice to Management

Get a life.

9. "Corp."

I have been working at Guess? full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Discount, On site Cafe,

Cons

Hardly gives associates increases. Ask to take on more work first in order to get an increase then end of year at review time told you have to actually take on more work in order to finalize increase.

Advice to Management

Value it's employee's.

"Have more then 2 arms"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Guess? full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was the store manager of a pretty high volume store , be prepared to be in the store just yourself and one associate most of the time. They focus way to much on visual and task then the customer service they shove down your throats to push . Your doing the work of 4/5 people on any given day because of the lack of payroll, I know payroll is the largest controlled expense in any company but then cut back on some stuff to allow for the customer service aspect.

Cons

They expect you to live in your store and pay you for 40 hours, be prepared to have no work life balance and take two to three weeks just to hire a sale associate, manager turn over is so high because they want more then people can auctally physically do .

Advice to Management

First off learn to speak to your managers and treat people with the same respect that you want in return. Alison hire district managers that auctally can do the job .

Showing 154 of 1,061 reviews