Guess? Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Victor Herrero

Pros
Cons
  • Store management doesn't provide much work life balance (in 24 reviews)

• Disconect between upper Management (in 44 reviews)

1. "Terrible place"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Paramus, NJ

I worked at Guess? part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to meet really cool people

Cons

Managers are usually really bad at their jobs

Advice to Management

Hire better managers

"DONT WORK HERE...learn from my mistake"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Guess? full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good cafeteria
    Good water fountains
    Pretty art everywhere

Cons

Honestly, a terrible company by far. I was poorly managed by an incompetent person who actually got promoted for doing a poor job.

Management just takes your ideas and shows them as their own but doesn't acknowledge your participation or give any form of recognition.

Most of upper management just slacks off while all the hard working employees slave away to have the company running. It's honestly sad after meeting so many people that I can only find a hand full of employees that actually lead by example, care about their job and their employees well being.

For the most part it's pretty easy to tell that everything about Guess is going down hill.

Furthermore, upper management is made up of politics gossip and a bunch of incapable and incompetent employees that don't know what it actually takes to "work". They push you to the edge of insanity and then they wonder why the company doesn't do well.

Also, many people within management say they have an "open door policy" but that's actually a lie but they will actually give you a slap on the wrist for speaking up like they asked. It's a culture of fear that glorifies idiots for being lazy and sucking your soul.

Advice to Management

Stop saying everything is great when it's not. Stop stealing peoples ideas, stop promoting lazy incompetent workers, see the good in people, stop gossiping and preying on other lower direct reports.

I have worked for a multitude of companies and by far this is the WORST company I have ever worked for.

Please clean and gut your whole management or else you will continue to see a dip in stock. There is nothing more maddening than when the people in management act like petty high school children with "many years of experience"...

"A Mess"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Guess? part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

40-50% discount on clothing... The jackets are nice

Cons

No standards
    No motivation
    No discipline

The boss has no clue what they are doing. It's quite sad, but also a learning experience for me.

Advice to Management

Laziness is contagious....

"Worst job of my life!!!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Allen, TX

I worked at Guess? part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing absolutely not even the hours are worth it

Cons

They treat you bad don't appreciate your work and make you work ridiculous times!!
    The pay is crap I make more at my other job and do half the work
    Management team is crap and threatening! I want to know if anybody has the Human Resources info!

Advice to Management

Quit treating your workers like slaves and threatening them!!

6. "Assistant manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at Guess? (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits health vision dental

Cons

Low staff never enough hours to get everything done a

Advice to Management

Be prepared to earn that check

"politics over business"

Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Guess? full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

people (for the most part)
    onsite gym
    decent pay for LA standard
    better than Forever 21
    better than BCBG allegedly

Cons

no sense of clear strategy or direction
    politics politics politics
    senior management too busy at job security > finger pointing in all directions vs taking any accountability
    no follow thru on any plan
    lack of talent or relevant experience at the top; lack of training / bench strength at the bottom
    insecurities run rampant at management level
    very little empowerment
    even less thinking for yourself... either no process or process over progress
    silly rules that treat all like you're in labor camp

Advice to Management

get rid of the toxic/incompetent people in management

"Unhealthy Management and Zero Opportunity"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manhattan Beach, CA

I worked at Guess? (More than a year)

Pros

Its an iconic brand for which I had tremendous amounts of respect for going in.

Instead, I left completely tainted by the gossip and office politics, cruel behavior of management, and lack of any response from HR.

Cons

CAREER OPPORTUNITY
    o Do your news research on the company revenue!! Guess investment ratings are down across all boards. Analysts are advising their investors to SELL their stocks.
    ♣ Result – there are continuous lay-offs, company wide on all levels
    o VERYYY LIMITED PROMOTION FROM WITHIN
    ♣ I have seen countless employees work tirelessly for years to prove themselves for a promotion, yet management (often new) will continuously hire from outside the company
    • Even with a high turn over rate and plenty of opportunity to promote their employees, they prefer to poach people from other companies, as this is their idea of remaining competitive
    ♣ Result- 98% of employees are either laid off or move on to a better salary and title at a different company

• MANAGEMENT LACKS LEADERSHIP
    ♣ Office politics are out of control. Many of the higher-ups who have been there for a million years get away with their cruel behavior because they’ve been with the company so long
    ♣ Management’s only real concern is making sure their boss believes they are doing a great job
    ♣ To my personal experience, after 2 years, not once did my manager ask how I was doing, offer any constructive feedback on my job-performance, respond to requests for touch-base meetings, or plan a team building activity of any kind. I was constantly guessing what my manager was thinking. Rather simply offer direct feedback, I had to make out hidden messages from a passive aggressive personality.
    • On multiple occasions, if I made a mistake or wasn’t executing the (never-clear-to-begin-with) way of doing things properly, my Manager would reprimand me via email and CC other managers and employees in the department who had no involvement
    o This was the bosses was of showing power in humiliating me, and it worked. I was frightened and walking on egg shells all of the time
    • Of the 10+ departments I worked with, I can think of only one example of leadership in management, team morale, and positive demeanor. That department is Social Media.

• HUMAN RESOURCES (if you can even call it that)
    ♣ After countless emails and phone calls to HR for advice on my manager, not one person responded to me
    ♣ I reported an injury at work to HR, mainly so they could take action to prevent this from happening to another employee
    • DAYS after my injury, I get a call from the company lawyer to see if I needed to see a doctor
    o Just one example of MANY, where HR proved to care more about protecting themselves from a lawsuit than the well-being of their employees

Advice to Management

The way you treat your employees not only affects their progress at work and the overall success of the company, but also their happiness at home.

Would you rather work at the most desirable company in the world with a manager who has no interest in your or your future?
    Or work at a start-up company with a manager who leads by example, works collaboratively to improve the team performance,, and shares in its success?

I have chosen the latter.

"guess"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sterling Heights, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sterling Heights, MI

Pros

met cool people while working

Cons

management is bad and expects too much

Advice to Management

do the work yourself

"Nothing but pretentious snobs!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Guess? part-time

Pros

I can not think of any pro, at least not at this store at Southpark mall in Charlotte. I am secretly giddy they went out of business in this location.

Cons

Working with stuck up snobs. The hours were bad, I'm talking about 10 hours a week and management could care less about helping anyone but themselves. I would say that the discount was nice, but I can't. The store paid minimum wage for over exerting yourself and still came up with little to no money for the jeans they forced me to buy.
    My last month working management decided to keep me off the schedule, even when I called every week for my hours. A week or two later I get a letter from Guess? corporation stating that I was terminated for a "No call, No show" when in fact management did it purposely.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with more respect and you will get more out of them, that goes for Kristen Coker.

11. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Myrtle Beach, SC

Pros

the discount was really good 40% and you get 50% once a month. the hr department works really close with the stores to help out

Cons

everything else... the workload is ridiculous. a BASIC week at guess you will have 4-5 promo changes randomly sometimes in the afternoon, you have to adjust your store presentation for every promo change, windows tables and all. you have visual changes weekly on top of the promo change that you will end up adjusting tomorrow anyways then you have an office day, which is nice, but you dont get any payroll to support your store while your in the back making the schedules that are tedious. You are given the basic hours to run a store with 2 coverage. With the 2 coverage you are supposed to do floorsets, weekly updates, promo changes, visual tasking, floorsets, promo changes, window and table directives, inventory, office time, 200+ units of shipment, operations, lp, hr, sales and visuals

Advice to Management

go on undercover boss the expectations are slavery. if you want NO LIFE outside of work, then you will love this company. Turnover rate is high for a reason tons of work and not enough pay