Guess? Reviews | Glassdoor

Guess? Reviews

Updated September 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Employee discount was a nice idea (in 87 reviews)

• The 40% discount is a good incentive that you can benefit from since you can wear the merchandise (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Store management doesn't provide much work life balance (in 26 reviews)

• Upper management is really lacking (in 47 reviews)

1. "Manager"

I worked at Guess? full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment to work in. Able to develop entry level employees.

Cons

No growth potential for working professionals in the field trying to get into Corporate Headquarters. Lots of biases.

Advice to Management

Talent Inventory; instead of outsourcing look within the company for those looking for advancement and have both the education and experience.

2. "Things went downhill"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Guess? part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discount 40% , flexible hours

Cons

Complete management change and it was not for the better. New Co-manager position was filled around the time I was in training to be an assistant manager, but he didn't acknowledge that and pushed for someone else, who didn't want to but he kept pushing her, to take the postion. He cut many of our hours to the point where many of us could not afford to get to work. He created a hostile working environment where many employees who have been there for years resigned because of this unfair treatment.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge your employees who want to move up and be promoted instead of pushing them aside and pulling others who don't want it. Good employees leave because of bad management, and that goes for corporate management as well. Talk to your associates.

3. "It's ok but at the same time not that good."

Former Employee - Desk Associate in Miami Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Desk Associate in Miami Beach, FL

I worked at Guess? part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best reasons to work at guess is the salary... the people I worked with my co-workers they were like family. some managers even a customer complains for any not smart reason the managers always asked what happen and they have your side instead of the customer. they don't make you feel down for them. other every event they give people gifts the gift they are left all the employees can take the rest for free.. that a nice gift for us who worked hard. other thing in stock room ... I basically did everything my title was Desk associate.. but they always use me for stock , for lead, for anything there........ well the other good thing in stock you can use your phone and play your music if you want to bring your speaker you could and listen at loud.. its part time but they give you 40 hours a week if they are making money that week...in the lowest hours is 20... if they don't like you they give you 1 day 6 hours or 12 hours. if they give you that... that means you have to look for something else...

Cons

the downsides were.... some managers they judge you for how you are dress, what you eat, how your hair is, your makeup, everything.... there is a dress code but the dress code is so simple for them so they make you buy cloth from the store they give you 40% discount and sometimes 50% but that's nothing because the cloth is so expensive. the dress code makeup has to be natural . manager even if it is natural they all tell you it doesn't look good you have to wear this and that... always making you feel horrible. they want you to wear heels and the dress code said something else.. well they want you to wear heels all the time. when the stock manager needed help in stock the managers in the floor always said you have to bring heel just in case we need you on the floor. I cant wear heels they know that I try to wear wedges they said those are not good they don't look good. it has to be from the store. all cloth all shoes is from the store. the shoes there are so uncomfortable for the high price is not worth it... for so much judgment and all the criticism they were giving me and one time I was sick I couldn't even move from bed one manager called and told me I don't care if your sick or dying if your schedule to work you have to come no matter what... one of my family died they didn't let me go home . they didn't let me stay home with my family . just because of all that I lost my self teem I went on depressing for months. but thank God I find a job and quit and feeling everyday better. also they always say they are going to change you for team leader but is for you to keep working harder and every time they want you to be their puppy and listen to every order you go and do it because they know you want to grow... not all places are like that but this one... was like that...

Advice to Management

my advice is ..... stop judging , stop talking bad about people, everyone have their own look. mine was simple but it was right for dress code policy.

4. "Under compensated"

I have been working at Guess? part-time

Pros

The discount is fairly generous.

Cons

It's retail. No bonuses because I was technically part time even though I was working full time hours.

Advice to Management

Don't hire new people and pay them more and let it be known to other employees.

5. "Smh"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Guess? part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool coworkers and flexible scheduling.

Cons

A lot of work for little pay. Company hires a lot of PT workers and gives them all very little hours to avoid paying fewer employees full time pay. Black Friday and holidays are a nightmare! Don't do it.

Advice to Management

Pay a living wage and give more hours.

6. "Assistant Store Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Guess? full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sets you up to be well versed in many roles such as Marketing, Customer Service, HR and Loss Prevention

Cons

Hard to move up once in management

Advice to Management

Invest in a company whom will invest in you

7. "Review"

I worked at Guess? part-time

Pros

Good product. Good discount.

Cons

Horrible management. Worked for a few years never received a raise. Associates new more than store manager. Not properly trained to run a store. The accociates work harder than management.

8. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Camarillo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Camarillo, CA

I worked at Guess? part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great manager, close team, fun environment

Cons

On-call shifts, getting sent home if not busy enough (retail in general can be unsteady)

9. "Poor development - lack of growth opportunities"

I worked at Guess? part-time

Pros

if you have the right team at your store the work will be enjoyable. There is occasional contests offered.

Cons

Even if you meet your sales targets, are an overall asset to the company it is not likely you'll be promoted. Unfortunate dress code. Sometimes there was unprofessional workplace talk.

Advice to Management

Stay current with fashion and brace for ecommerce

10. "Good starting job for students"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Guess? part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people, employee benefits and schedule are student/part time friendly. Keeping up with tends and fashion is always a plus!!

Cons

As with all retail, tedious cleanup and organizational details. Not much room to grow other than management role and the dependencies on other employee's attendances is a struggle

Advice to Management

Keep it up as it's getting tougher for store retails due to internet and millennials

Showing 987 of 1,009 reviews