Guess? Reviews | Glassdoor

Guess? Reviews

Updated July 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Employee discount was a nice idea (in 85 reviews)

• you learn a lot about the retail experience (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Store management doesn't provide much work life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Upper management is really lacking (in 47 reviews)

"politics over business"

Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Guess? full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

people (for the most part)
    onsite gym
    decent pay for LA standard
    better than Forever 21
    better than BCBG allegedly

Cons

no sense of clear strategy or direction
    politics politics politics
    senior management too busy at job security > finger pointing in all directions vs taking any accountability
    no follow thru on any plan
    lack of talent or relevant experience at the top; lack of training / bench strength at the bottom
    insecurities run rampant at management level
    very little empowerment
    even less thinking for yourself... either no process or process over progress
    silly rules that treat all like you're in labor camp

Advice to Management

get rid of the toxic/incompetent people in management

2. "Positive Experience"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jackson, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jackson, NJ

Pros

flexible hours, great discount, helpful managers

Cons

Management changes frequently, weekend hours.

Advice to Management

None.

3. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Leesburg, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Leesburg, VA

I worked at Guess? part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The other sales girls were nice, and one of the assistant managers was super sweet. Pretty easy work, typical sales floor retail stuff.

Cons

One of my managers was absolutely awful. She was rude, sarcastic, and pushy. The first to scream at you when you make a mistake, and then turn around and make the same mistake. I tried to deal but ended up having to quit because she was so bad.

Advice to Management

Get a new manager! Maybe send in a secret shopper just to observe how she treats people. Also, more promotions would be better for business. this location wasn't the best for that.

4. "Former Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Harlingen, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Harlingen, TX

I worked at Guess? (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great positive environment. Freedom to choose your own team and have fun.

Cons

Long hours and holidays are a must.

5. "A very immature company"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Guess? full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Since I was trained as a manager, the training was very thorough and structured. Also cute clothes and a fun upbeat store.

Cons

Basically this is a job for micromanagers and power tripping egocentrics. For bigger stores you had to wear walkie talkies. And as the CEM on duty you are basically micromanaging your sales associates to death! Their is a fine line between being encouraging, coaching and reminding your associates to add on and to always be on Top of their customers in the fitting room., to just plain bullying and nagging. The store manger that trained me was not the negative but a positive. She had 8 years worth of experiencing in training and it showed. She was not only a good trainer but a good mentor. But on her days off she had her inexperienced asst. Managers who were not only immature but also very catty and found ways to throw you under the bus. These girls who are so called asst. managers are mostly hired because they are young and pretty with a decent resume. Most of them never worked in higher end retail so their inexperience shows through amatuer selling techniques and boorish behaviour. One girl asked me where I worked before and when I said I worked for BVLGARI she had no clue what that brand was. Even though I am the same age range as some of these girls, but the experience I had and the inexperience they have is just jarringly incomparable.

Advice to Management

LPlease notice the catty behaviourr and bad training techniques from assistant managers. One girl basically made fun of me because I was following the visual module on the iPad which I was being TRAINED to do!!!!!

6. "Relatively easy work enviroment"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Leesburg, VA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Leesburg, VA

I worked at Guess? full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good compensation. Fair Hours. Straight forward directives and time to complete them.

Cons

Not the most payroll in the world but its fair if you move quickly. Slightly outdated but it is in the process of fixing

Advice to Management

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

7. "Mixed bag"

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Guess? full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you can manage to surround yourself with good employees it can be a lot of fun. There were occasionally good bonus incentives.

Cons

High turnover makes for disorganized operations. Low pay. Benefits were not good. Quality of clothes were inconsistent for such a high priced brand.

Advice to Management

Work heavily on honing in on a very repeatable and specific system to prepare management to deal with challenges. Too often there was accountability without training.

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Guess? full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The product and clothing was really great. The environment is fun. Inventory bonus was a very high bonus. Great potential to move up.

Cons

when the new ceo, victor, took over, the "People first" mentality left and people of long tenure started leaving. Little to no stores made bonuses after the new ceo took over.

Advice to Management

Remember that people come first. Paul Marciano, founder of guess, believed in his people. That has been lost.

9. "Complete Waste Of Time"

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Guess? full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sorry, I only have 2 Pros... It's a generous employee discount and they have a loyal client base. That's all I can think of.

Cons

No true Leadership. No interest in change or growth. Too much work for little pay. Lack of customer focus. Managers are more interested in building friendships with their staff than coaching and developing them.

Advice to Management

Focus on the customers not work relationships. Get rid of the dead weight and under performers. Appreciate the few passionate workers on every level.

10. "Do not work here!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novi, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novi, MI

I worked at Guess? part-time

Pros

Cute clothes and a good discount. Friendly associates. Super small store so clean up is easy. The customers are fun to work with. They love getting your help!

Cons

Management sucks. Doesn't pull their weight....makes you do all the work. Store manager takes everything personal...especially a notice from an employee. Don't expect to be treated fairly if you've decided you no longer want to work there. Not understanding at all. Oh and constant fighting over sales....management fights over them too.

Advice to Management

You can't really give advice on the character of a person. Just change management!