Guidance Software Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Guidance Software President and Chief Executive Officer Patrick Dennis
Patrick Dennis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good people, encouraged to develop skills (in 12 reviews)

• good product, just need to enable the whole company now (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Mgmt, and HR indifferent to retention makes for very high turnover (in 7 reviews)

• With the recent layoffs and how desperate Guidance is to get deals it is hard to believe they are not trying to sell the company (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A tech turn-around story in the making."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In spite of the challenges the company has a lot of potential, great people to work with and a predominantly collaborative culture. Strong core product offering in forensics and digital investigations ...a dynamic and interesting market to work in.

Cons

After years of losses under the former leadership, company is pushing for profitability and growth under the new management team. It requires hard work and very lean teams. This can be a challenging environment for some who were used to a different culture with lower expectations.

Advice to Management

Continue to push us into profitability and turn us into a grown-up company. Next, modernize the infrastructure to reduce friction of mundane tasks such as expense reports.

Feb 8, 2017

Thank you so much for your open and honest review. We really appreciate you taking the time to be specific and highlight the areas that are so important to our employees. At a recent all-hands... More

2. "So far, so good!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've just started and so far I've seen smart and motivated team members. The interviewing and onboarding was seemless and looking forward to learning more about the company and their products.

Cons

none at this time

Advice to Management

Looking forward to helping the company's success and contributing to a winning team.

"eDiscovery Consultant"

Former Employee - EDiscovery Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - EDiscovery Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training was great. Management wanted you to succeed.

Cons

No benefits, not even telework

Jul 5, 2017 – CEO

You probably meant to post this on "Guidance Software's" page on Glassdoor. They provide EDiscovery services (Guidance Solutions does not). Our benefits and approaches to telecommuting are widely... More

"Great company, perfect time to join"

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time

Pros

Guidance Software is on a trajectory perfectly aligned with my career objectives. Onboarding was a delightfully warm and welcoming experience. I feel very fortunate to have this opportunity to collaborate with truly brilliant people at the forefront of digital forensics and cybersecurity innovation.

Cons

There are none worthy of mention.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Keep doing what you are doing.

"Good but not great experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. We keep in touch even after leaving the company.

Cons

Growth opportunity was limited.
    Micro-management was common.
    Good people kept leaving because they didn't treat the employees as valuable assets, more like tools in an assembly line.
    Company vision was not clear to everyone working there.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the employee turnover ratio - it would have been a clear indicator that the culture there needed to change.

"Honest Review"

Former Employee - Professional Services Consultant
    Former Employee - Professional Services Consultant

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company making great changes to EnCase product suite, which makes it easier to use for all users. Everyone is easy going and senior consultants are willing to assist when they can. Also as an employee, you can obtain the EnCase certification for free.

Cons

Product documentation is not very useful. Products have a huge learning curve, especially if you are having to learn the product and complete client projects in parallel. The best way for someone to be effective here, is to come in knowing how to already use EnCase.

Advice to Management

Management is doing well, keep improving the EnCase product and everything should go according to plan.

"The breakdown!"

Current Employee - Director in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Engineering department had some great people, great location. Happy hours, Holiday party in a bowling alley.

They have a company restaurant that offers a discount for employees , wait never mind they had to shut it down , that money had to go into the pockets of the c-suite.

Cons

CFO - Any other CFO would of been replaced if they performed as poorly as their current CFO. You should never trust someone with money matters is there last name mean plague ... you're asking for it!.

CEO - He lacks any real command presents to be a leader. But his background is not in leadership it is in acquisitions and mergers so he was chosen for a reason , to break the company down and sell it up in bundles.

CTO - AKA the mad scientist, he was a very smart man and really did a great job early in the products infancy. He failed to delivery later in the products lifecycle and was constantly refractory causing major slips in the delivery of the products . He also like to reinvent the wheel allot instead of using technology that was proven to work , he would rather write his own.

VPs- There was only few that stood out the VP of Product Engineering & VP of Technical Services . If Guidance had a few more men and woman like them they would not be dealing with the sinking ship.

Advice to Management

Cheer up , Guidance Software can always be used as a Case Study on how to not do business. So in a abstract way you will be aiding future leaders with a model to avoid.

"Lots of secrets"

I worked at Guidance Software full-time

Pros

Good people to work with.

Cons

Seems like there are a lot of secrets at this company.

Jun 16, 2017

Thank you for your review. We couldn't agree with you more that the people who work at Guidance are pretty neat! As far as the secrets you mention....please share. We'd love to know!

"Losing our knowledge base"

Current Employee - Engineering in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Located in Pasadena, the building owner is refurbishing the building floor by floor. There is a gym on the first floor and bikes for use in the garage. Parking is free.

Cons

One by one, the company's technology knowledge base is either quitting or being laid off. It is hard to keep track from day to day who is still here or why they left.
     What was once a 500 strong company is now down to the mid 300's in just one year.

The company was once the leading e-discovery and endpoint provider but now we are not even listed on Gartner's 2017 Endpoint Protection Platforms report. We have to partner with kCura because our software solution is so unstable and our current product is just not user friendly. Despite the "full throttle" speeches, many of the developers and managers are leaving or searching for jobs because they don't want to be around for the last call. You can't keep yelling "full throttle" when the engine is flooded and you don't want to invest money for new tires.

Symantec estimated the endpoint security market at $4.6 billion in 2016 but we had a hard time even passing the $150 million mark. It feels like we are selling WordPerfect in a MicrosoftOffice world.

Advice to Management

Stop spending time on motivational phrases, posters, and videos and start working on the software. Put a full stop to bandages and make a real investment in some talent, training, and systems. When you walk around the floors and see everyone sitting with the lights off, it is symbolic of how we all feel - working in the dark and somber.

Jun 16, 2017

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We get that anytime a company has to reduce workforce, everyone is affected including those like yourself who must cope with departing colleagues.

You’ve... More

"A company that pays for performance"

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time

Pros

I enjoy working at Guidance. The vast majority of my coworkers are bright, proactive and easy to work with. Self starters do well here. Given the size of the company, your performance will stand out, for good or for bad. You will find the CEO to be energizing or polarizing, depending on your temperament and whether you agree with his vision for the company. There's a fancy new gym on the first floor of the building if you're into that and there are lots of good restaurants in the vicinity.

Cons

It's fish or cut bait. Do not expect much in the way of hand holding. You'll be required to start producing almost immediately. Assertiveness is a must.

May 19, 2017

Yay! It's been a while since we've received a review from a current employee. Thank you!

We feel strongly that the vast majority of current employees share your positive viewpoints about life at... More