Guidance Software Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Guidance Software President and Chief Executive Officer Patrick Dennis
Patrick Dennis

Pros
  • Good people, encouraged to develop skills (in 13 reviews)

• good product, just need to enable the whole company now (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Mgmt, and HR indifferent to retention makes for very high turnover (in 7 reviews)

• No one thinks of Guidance as an endpoint security company (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A tech turn-around story in the making."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In spite of the challenges the company has a lot of potential, great people to work with and a predominantly collaborative culture. Strong core product offering in forensics and digital investigations ...a dynamic and interesting market to work in.

Cons

After years of losses under the former leadership, company is pushing for profitability and growth under the new management team. It requires hard work and very lean teams. This can be a challenging environment for some who were used to a different culture with lower expectations.

Advice to Management

Continue to push us into profitability and turn us into a grown-up company. Next, modernize the infrastructure to reduce friction of mundane tasks such as expense reports.

Feb 8, 2017

Thank you so much for your open and honest review. We really appreciate you taking the time to be specific and highlight the areas that are so important to our employees. At a recent all-hands ... More

"Good but not great experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. We keep in touch even after leaving the company.

Cons

Growth opportunity was limited.
    Micro-management was common.
    Good people kept leaving because they didn't treat the employees as valuable assets, more like tools in an assembly line.
    Company vision was not clear to everyone working there.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the employee turnover ratio - it would have been a clear indicator that the culture there needed to change.

"stay away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

prior to 2013, good people, culture, leading products and good prospects, not really sure what happened, changes happened overnight it seems, founder fired and sued, vision died

Cons

people just get fired or laid off constantly, no end in sight
    product doesn't work, so client satisfaction low
    moral depressing, no light at tunnel end
    HR not talented, can't change culture or don't want to
    CFO / CEO checked out - don't lead, don't care, no vision

Advice to Management

doesn't matter any more, won't make a difference

"the end of this company is near if something isn't done"

Current Employee - Info Tech in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Info Tech in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

first off, the positive reviews here were "planted" by senior management, none are true or written by rank and file.

None, seriously. I've been working here for years and things have gone from awesome to bad to horrible to unbearable. I'm looking for another opportunity now.

Cons

Too many to list, but just know that if you work here, you will be treated horribly, your passion in whatever area you work will be crushed, and your efforts will not be rewarded either in success or career advancement. You will see the company fall apart around you.

Advice to Management

you seriously need to look in the mirror and ask yourselves what in the heck you are doing to this company. none of your initiatives have worked, the product is in the worst shape in company history and your marketing efforts are a facade at best and complete lie at worst. It's time to move on and leave the company to someone else to run.

"Losing our knowledge base"

Current Employee - Engineering in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Located in Pasadena, the building owner is refurbishing the building floor by floor. There is a gym on the first floor and bikes for use in the garage. Parking is free.

Cons

One by one, the company's technology knowledge base is either quitting or being laid off. It is hard to keep track from day to day who is still here or why they left.
     What was once a 500 strong company is now down to the mid 300's in just one year.

The company was once the leading e-discovery and endpoint provider but now we are not even listed on Gartner's 2017 Endpoint Protection Platforms report. We have to partner with kCura because our software solution is so unstable and our current product is just not user friendly. Despite the "full throttle" speeches, many of the developers and managers are leaving or searching for jobs because they don't want to be around for the last call. You can't keep yelling "full throttle" when the engine is flooded and you don't want to invest money for new tires.

Symantec estimated the endpoint security market at $4.6 billion in 2016 but we had a hard time even passing the $150 million mark. It feels like we are selling WordPerfect in a MicrosoftOffice world.

Advice to Management

Stop spending time on motivational phrases, posters, and videos and start working on the software. Put a full stop to bandages and make a real investment in some talent, training, and systems. When you walk around the floors and see everyone sitting with the lights off, it is symbolic of how we all feel - working in the dark and somber.

Jun 16, 2017

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We get that anytime a company has to reduce workforce, everyone is affected including those like yourself who must cope with departing colleagues. You’ve ... More

"Horrible treatment of employees.....disaster"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

none, seriously. There are at least 50 other tech companies in LA area that would be a better place to work. If you can't get a job at those other companies, consider a move to another city before taking a job here.

Cons

where to begin:

- execs are only interested in their comp and selling co, while the employees below c-suite will simply lose their jobs and aren't being treated well on the way
    - no product vision at all.....the roots of this once great company with once great products have withered and died. Believe me, I wish it wasn't that way, but sadly is.
    - just look at stock price
    - all employees were moved into cramped space on one tiny floor from a once spacious and luxurious HQ
    - if you are a creative product / tech type, your career will stall here
    - if you are a rational, good and nice person, your attitude will change here and your soul / passion will be crushed

Advice to Management

no advice will help other than to just go ahead, put company out of its misery, and sell....it's what you want any way to get rich off of a once proud place

May 19, 2017

Thank you for your review. We are very disappointed to hear about your experience, especially after having spent more than five years with us. We've read through the concerns you raised, and we ... More

"Very bad culture and leadership"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They do have a good current install base of their original EnCase Forensics product.

Cons

No matter what they say they are not a open door policy executive team. The company is struggling and has been for several years. They brought in Patrick Denise and he brought in his buddies and they just don't get it when it comes to customer relationships and what it takes to be trusted in this competitive industry. The only thing they seem to care about is saving their own job even at the cost of hard working people and their customer. The latest is several of the Product Managers have quit. Bottom line is the company is struggling and it's a bad environment to work.

Advice to Management

Listen to the customer and only release a tested product.

May 19, 2017

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking time to express your concerns. We do feel strongly that the environment you describe looks much different on the inside. In fact, according to our ... More

"Very poor organization"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location in Pasadena, some smart engineers and marketing people

Cons

Senior management was clueless, directionless, and no vision. Worst hiring decisions, then layoffs to producers and non-producers. Very cliquey and feels like a frat house than an organization.

Advice to Management

simply quit! give way to those who know how to run a company.

Apr 24, 2017

Thank you for your review. As we've said in previous posts, we have an obligation to our customers, employees and shareholders to operate our company in a fiscally responsible way. As such, we've ... More

"Straight from the heart..."

Current Employee - Director in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've had a lot of opportunities to expand my knowledge in my career at Guidance Software. Yes, a lot of much needed org changes but , if you're up for a challenge and willing to do more and learn more, this is the place! The cost of benefits is extremely reasonable, pay is good, the company offers flex/work from home schedules and fun events for employees to take a break from their work. The leadership team is working hard to position the company to be more successful. I personally love change as it demonstrates that we are staying competitive in the ever changing world of technology. It also has allowed me to gain more experience in areas that I didn't have in previous companies.

Cons

I really can't think of any at this time?

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, you have a great vision and strategy. Continue to help the layer below you remain accountable and encourage communication down to all employees.

Mar 2, 2017

Thank you for your great review. We appreciate you taking time to share what its like working at Guidance. Professional growth, career opportunity, good benefits, competitive pay, flexibility and ... More

"A Cesspool"

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None - A terrible place to work. I see 5-star ratings written by management and feel compelled to come on here and tell the truth. I am sick of watching good people get fired every day.

Cons

Upper management is horrible. Sales Management is deplorable!! Fires sales reps that are making their numbers with no reason other than they don't want to pay commissions.

Advice to Management

None - It wouldn't matter anyway.

Apr 24, 2017

Thank you for your review. We want to assure you that every single review on our Glassdoor site is authentic...that includes our 5-star reviews. We would never plant "fake" reviews (Glassdoor ... More