Guidance Software Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Guidance Software President and Chief Executive Officer Patrick Dennis
Patrick Dennis

Pros
  • Good people, encouraged to develop skills (in 11 reviews)

• good product, just need to enable the whole company now (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Mgmt, and HR indifferent to retention makes for very high turnover (in 7 reviews)

• No one thinks of Guidance as an endpoint security company (in 7 reviews)

"Very poor organization"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location in Pasadena, some smart engineers and marketing people

Cons

Senior management was clueless, directionless, and no vision. Worst hiring decisions, then layoffs to producers and non-producers. Very cliquey and feels like a frat house than an organization.

Advice to Management

simply quit! give way to those who know how to run a company.

Apr 24, 2017

Thank you for your review. As we've said in previous posts, we have an obligation to our customers, employees and shareholders to operate our company in a fiscally responsible way. As such, we've ... More

"A Cesspool"

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None - A terrible place to work. I see 5-star ratings written by management and feel compelled to come on here and tell the truth. I am sick of watching good people get fired every day.

Cons

Upper management is horrible. Sales Management is deplorable!! Fires sales reps that are making their numbers with no reason other than they don't want to pay commissions.

Advice to Management

None - It wouldn't matter anyway.

Apr 24, 2017

Thank you for your review. We want to assure you that every single review on our Glassdoor site is authentic...that includes our 5-star reviews. We would never plant "fake" reviews (Glassdoor ... More

"A company of broken promises and with old bulky technology"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

all the people that left within the past year...

Cons

They don't care about their employees...layoffs are the only way they could even out the books and finally the CEO came out with what everyone alway knew they are stripping out the company to sell...but buyers be wise... kick the tires and check under the hood...

Advice to Management

none

Mar 2, 2017

Thank you for your review. As we've explained in other responses, we do have an obligation to our customers, employees and shareholders to operate our company in a fiscally responsible way. While ... More

"Worst place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Guidance Software full-time

Pros

Decent pay, but not much else.

Cons

High turnover. I was recruited for an opportunity that looked really exciting with promised career growth. I left a stable role with high career potential. None of those promises materialized.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees, and don't just throw them away when you have a business downturn. Employees are an asset, and you should treat them that way.

Mar 2, 2017

Thank you for your review. Reiterating some of our responses, we are transforming our business to focus on growth markets and defunding declining areas of growth -- which has unfortunately resulted ... More

"Guidance for sale"

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time

Pros

Employees and the products.
    Customers that depend on us to provide tools to get the bad people.

Cons

Barry and Patrick made it very clear thier open to sell the company at the SKO. They have no interest in fighting off a take over or a good offer to buy guidance.

Advice to Management

Be honest about the future of this company. Human being are depending on getting a check. If we can trust the company to guidance Software alive then we need to walk and get new jobs.

Jan 24, 2017

Thanks for your review. We appreciate your positive comments about our employees and products. As you know, it's a time of change here at Guidance. It's important for employees to understand we have ... More

"Worst company to work for"

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

location in Pasadena is pretty good. Used to have good colleagues but most of the smart people left.

Cons

layoffs, low morale. It is a sinking ship. Founder of the company is no longer around. I'll be surprise if the company is still around in a few years.

Advice to Management

I see some managers browse on the ipad or computer all day.

Jan 4, 2017

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking time to share your input with us. We've recently made some very difficult decisions and have lost some teammates. However, we will have also made ... More

"CEO desperately trying to sell the company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Pros

Some really bright engineers, unfortunately most of them left due to the non-existing future of the company.

Cons

Ever since Patrick Dennis (CEO) took over office, his sole mission is to sell the company. He'll do whatever it takes to make the company look more "attractive" to potential buyers. This includes spending tons of money on re-branding; over-pushing unnecessary software releases every quarter; big layoffs with substantial reduction in severance pay. All that to make the quarterly earning report look better to potential buyers.

Advice to Management

Get someone who actually cares about the future of the company to take over. It's amazing how one man can destroy a company that once has so much potential.

Dec 2, 2016

Thank you for your review. We have an obligation to our customers, employees and shareholders to operate our company in a fiscally responsible way. This means transforming our business to focus on ... More

"Nightmare Place to Work"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, helpful HR, good co-workers in the trenches

Cons

Company is lost, cannot find their mission, does not seem to have a goal or direction. Very unstable atmosphere with frequent layoffs and firings, employees threatened with job loss if they don't perform to the max, employees urged to make fake five-star reviews on Glass Door to offset all the negative. There are good people in the various departments but zero leadership so either they don't know what they are doing or are actively kept from helping clients or being profitable. Clients are low priority. Good ideas are shot down or ignored and people instead focus on "keeping their head down". Some management does almost no work while employees clamor for help. Innovation is punished, and resources are only given for the idea of the day as leadership frantically pivots from one desperate Hail Mary initiative to another. Keep saying they are making changes for better growth but seems to be more of a death swirl.

Advice to Management

Maximize profits on the profits you have and stop trying to relabel yourself as a cyber security player. Stop being sneaky and secretive and keeping employees in the dark and instead get back to basics. Have sales team actually SELL things, prioritize client satisfaction (which no one cares about at all), have managers actually manage and lead their employees rather than ignoring them. Stop having upper management political battles and proxy fights while your company quietly slips under.

Nov 8, 2016

Thank you for your review. We always encourage employees to leave their honest, unbiased reviews on Glassdoor because its just one way we can empower our employees with a voice. We encourage reviews ... More

"Complete cluster of a company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time

Pros

Great place to work if you need a longer resume. Come work at Guidance where the road to profitability is paved with the carcasses of people who have been fired.

Cons

Management and lack of R & D (pretty much entire department was fired).

Advice to Management

Too many chiefs who don't understand the products. This is not hardware. You can not repackage the same Software with a different name and then wonder why your customers hate Guidance now.

Nov 8, 2016

Thank you for your review. It’s never easy to make changes in a company that’s been around as long as Guidance. We are transforming our business to focus on cybersecurity and making appropriate cuts ... More

"Worst place I ever worked at"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Guidance Software (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Not much else.

Cons

Terrible, passive aggressive management in the talent acquisition department.
    They don't care about employees and will "let you go" on a whim.
    High turn over.
    Salary is low compared to other companies.

Nov 24, 2015

Thank you for your review. We’re sorry to hear your perspective, because we really do care about our employees. We place the highest value on our top talent and we believe in rewarding for ... More