Guidance Software Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Guidance Software President and Chief Executive Officer Patrick Dennis
Patrick Dennis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They had some really good people in the past but lost many, often as a result of layoffs or poor pay practices (in 12 reviews)

• good product, just need to enable the whole company now (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • With the recent layoffs and how desperate Guidance is to get deals it is hard to believe they are not trying to sell the company (in 5 reviews)

• Mgmt, and HR indifferent to retention makes for very high turnover (in 7 reviews)

"Forgot Customer Base"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Had a great reputation and could hire real talent based on that. Salary and Flexible time off was very good

Cons

Company forgot it's roots, in terms of product, customers and employees. What once was a family environment became toxic and hostile with senior level and C-Level management focused on the almighty dollar. Goals to sell the company led to it's eventual downfall

Advice to Management

You reap what you sow. You are now in the history books and soon your product will be as well. Good luck to those GSI employees sticking around after the sale.

"Avoid at all costs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time

Pros

Some people really care about the clients and the solutions
    Enterprise (renamed to Investigator - no matter how they try and spin it) great product

Cons

Bolt on products (Endpoint Security, eDiscovery, Risk Manager) nowhere near all competitors. Do not scale. Public facing information on endpoints all smoke and mirrors.

Get the deal at any cost - far from customer satisfaction - including renaming a product and getting clients to repurchase.

Knowledge, integrity and passion to do the right thing - not a lot of that remains.

The feeling of family, and feedback welcomed has gone. Now toxic with people fearing their job daily.

Advice to Management

Look after your customers - stop doing them over just to make a quick buck.
    Look after the people in the know of how the products actually work/were developed.

"Honest Review"

Former Employee - Professional Services Consultant
    Former Employee - Professional Services Consultant

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company making great changes to EnCase product suite, which makes it easier to use for all users. Everyone is easy going and senior consultants are willing to assist when they can. Also as an employee, you can obtain the EnCase certification for free.

Cons

Product documentation is not very useful. Products have a huge learning curve, especially if you are having to learn the product and complete client projects in parallel. The best way for someone to be effective here, is to come in knowing how to already use EnCase.

Advice to Management

Management is doing well, keep improving the EnCase product and everything should go according to plan.

"Lots of secrets"

I worked at Guidance Software full-time

Pros

Good people to work with.

Cons

Seems like there are a lot of secrets at this company.

Jun 16, 2017

Thank you for your review. We couldn't agree with you more that the people who work at Guidance are pretty neat! As far as the secrets you mention....please share. We'd love to know!

"The Reality of Working for Guidance Software"

I worked at Guidance Software full-time

Pros

A job. Minimal 401k match.

Cons

Endless promises for promotion. After recently witnessing 25% of company staff getting laid off, coupled with key position players in the aftermath leaving the organization, this is the reality of working for Guidance Software. It appears to me as though this organization is hemorrhaging and strings employees along for as long as it takes to barely meet their bottom line. Be cautious of what you are getting yourself into. I've yet to reap a fair share of promotion after quite a few years of service. It's all lies after lies.. Be cautious with this organization. There are much better opportunities in the work force that don't make suckers out of their employees.

Advice to Management

See above.

Apr 24, 2017

Thank you for your review. As you can read in previous posts, our company has an obligation to our customers, shareholders and our employees to operate our company in a fiscally responsible way. As... More

"Tread Cautiously"

I worked at Guidance Software full-time

Pros

Some superb people in the mix who really care about the product set, and go above and beyond to build customer expertise and commitment.

Cons

Voice of the customer is not a priority. Too many bright minds get burned out from over-utilization, and find greater success elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Focus on the technology that made Guidance a standout, and reel in the marketing projects expenses.

Feb 8, 2017

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear your kind words about our product, our service levels and especially our people. We know that there is always room for improvement and we have shared... More

"Make sure to do extensive research before accepting an offer"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The forensic products for detection and remediation are very good and Guidance (EnCase) has a very good reputation in the industry. The EnCase certification still means something. It's easy to get meetings because of the large install base.

The new product, Risk Manager, has a lot of potential.

The pay and benefits are good.

Their IT and HR departments are great with letting people go. It only takes a few hours for someone to disappear from the company.

Cons

There seems to be a lack of trust that comes from the top. With the recent layoffs and how desperate Guidance is to get deals it is hard to believe they are not trying to sell the company.

If the company is betting on endpoint security do not have layoffs in R&D. No one thinks of Guidance as an endpoint security company. Invest in a real GUI.

They need to be honest with customers on the direction of EnCase eDiscovery. Why hasn't any R&D been spent on the product? It's the same GUI it has had for the last several years. There is nothing new with the product.

The CEO and management came out with a fake sales programs with a large discount to generate revenue when the upgrade should have been covered with maintenance. Customers are smart enough to see that they are not getting a new product. This ruins the reputation of Guidance with their customers.

Every quarter sales management will tell everyone this most important quarter in the history of the company.

Competition exists between inside sales and outside sales. They should comp both reps to avoid this conflict. A deal that is larger then $100k is turned over to outside sales but what is the incentive for them to turn it over when they get nothing. The same goes for outside sales. Why would someone turn over a deal to inside sales when they get nothing?

The CEO will lurk on forecasting calls and come out of the shadows unannounced.

When sales are slow be prepared for daily forecast calls.

It's hard to see a long term future with the company and there doesn't appear to be any advancement opportunities. There seems to be a layoff every month.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with the direction of the company and the product roadmap.

Jan 24, 2017

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts with us. It's great to hear your positive comments about our product, pay and benefits. As you know, Guidance is going through a transitional period... More

"Great Company that Lost its Way"

I worked at Guidance Software full-time

Pros

Great people doing the work.

Cons

Executive management and BOD made some mis-steps that cost the jobs of a large number of good people.

Jan 4, 2017

Hello and thank you for your review. We're always making the best decisions for the long term success of the company. Sometimes these decisions impact people unfortunately, but we must ultimately do... More

"Good Workers, Inexperienced Managers, Unfocused Executives"

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The developers, analysts, and product/project managers are good people. Good core software. They try to do their work with the limited tools on hand. HR and Marketing are trying to make the company a better, more professional workplace (work from home, social events) within the past two years.

Cons

For most of its existence, Guidance Software was directed by its founder, who did not know how to run a company: no transparency, little or no communication, no empowerment, no accountability and not openminded to new ideas. The founder was ousted a year ago, but his leadership style still exists in some executives, directors, and managers. The leadership team is more concerned with shareholder value and "winning" contracts than making great software and taking risks to do it. Directors and managers are very slow at adopting new technologies; afraid of interrupting productivity and wanting a leg up on their subordinates. If you wanted to even research semi-new technologies, you were either not given the time or your proposal would inevitably be rejected. Managers are not properly trained to manage people rather than projects.

In some teams, you can move up quickly without being very good at your job, simply because employees above you are leaving after 1-3 years. In other teams, there's no path to move up no matter how good you are.

Even when firing and laying off employees, the company doesn't know how to use that opportunity to get feedback to improve moving forward.

Advice to Management

Marketing: Glassdoor users can smell a fake review, particularly the ones posted in the past month.

Please use this season of post-restructuring to figure out how to make great software. It doesn't start with shareholder value.

Nov 22, 2016

Thank you for leaving us a review. We value the feedback we receive through this site. In fact, we encourage all our employees to only leave their most honest, unbiased feedback on Glassdoor because... More

10. "lead development representativve"

Former Employee - Lead Development Representative in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Development Representative in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

company culture started off great

Cons

sales outlook and advancement no longer good. also, company culture no longer good.

Sep 14, 2016

Thank you for your review. We're sorry to hear about your experience. We appreciate your feedback and we've forwarded your comments to management as we are always looking to improve.