Guidance Software Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Guidance Software President and Chief Executive Officer Patrick Dennis
Patrick Dennis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They had some really good people in the past but lost many, often as a result of layoffs or poor pay practices (in 12 reviews)

• good product, just need to enable the whole company now (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Goals to sell the company led to it's eventual downfall (in 5 reviews)

• Mgmt, and HR indifferent to retention makes for very high turnover (in 7 reviews)

"Review"

Pros

great company and pay until they sold out

Cons

sold out to a larger company

2. "On the verge of change"

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many talented people work at Guidance.

Cons

Hard to say how the company will change after the acquisition. Best to wait and see.

Advice to Management

There are many applications of EnCase. Take the time to learn about what customers love most about the products. Don't assume you know what is most important as it depends a lot on where it's deployed.

"Forgot Customer Base"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Had a great reputation and could hire real talent based on that. Salary and Flexible time off was very good

Cons

Company forgot it's roots, in terms of product, customers and employees. What once was a family environment became toxic and hostile with senior level and C-Level management focused on the almighty dollar. Goals to sell the company led to it's eventual downfall

Advice to Management

You reap what you sow. You are now in the history books and soon your product will be as well. Good luck to those GSI employees sticking around after the sale.

"Manage by crisis!"

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people were amazing. I am still friends with some of them and will keep in touch for years of course I was with the company 10yeara +

Cons

I'm god the company sold even though it means the execs will most likely get their golden parachutes the created for themselves during the turmoil with the former owner of the company. This may give a chance to the remaining 300 or so employees to get some of their life back and maybe some job security. moral had never been lower. Other than this spark of hope there has been no warm fuzzy feeling AT&T his company for over 3 years. The unknowns are too great to do anything there now. Hopefully the new company can get rid of all the execs who just rode what previously was a racehorse and now is just an old nag, into the ground. The culture set forth by the leadership team is one that leads qtr to qtr and makes decision to affect only the quarterly earnings and nothing else.

No one is so aloof that they don't understand a business where money needs to be made but when you cut into your ability to make profit to show your margins are good for that qtr all your doing trying to cover what is really going on.

To come on to glass door and try to respond to the messages with anything other than "yes, we were trying to align the company for sale and it was a strategy to look good, vs continue to be prosperous" is just more lies being told by a management team that lost any integrity it had years ago.

Advice to Management

My advice would not be with the old management because I can't imagine them staying. Get your paychecks and get out.

Advice to new management cleaning up after the aftermath of the last group of incredulous leadership at the top, be honest and invest in your people. That is how long term success is obtained.

"Trouble with understanding what they want to do"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay, that is the only pro I can think of.

Cons

I was recruited in to fix things that the company didn't want to fix. All of the people I interviewed with were let go, including the CEO making way for me to follow.

Advice to Management

Figure out what direction you want to go before uprooting people and bringing them to Pasadena. Had you thought about things a little you could have saved some time and money. Knee jerk is the operational standard with this company though.

"Destined to be Acquired"

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The rank and file are fine people and great to work with.

Cons

Upper level management is aloof and out of touch with employees. CEO works from Chicago for a company based in Pasadena, CA, so is never around. And I believe that from day one, his plan was to leverage the company to be acquired, which is exactly what happened.

Advice to Management

Enjoy your golden parachute.

"Good people, terrible culture, worst thing I ever did"

I worked at Guidance Software full-time

Pros

There are some genuinely great, intelligent and innovative people at this company delivering great products and services. Good salary. They have been sold and hopefully all senior management and executives will be leaving so there may be hope for the future, depending on OpenText's intentions.

Cons

Absolutely no career development. Mediocre medical benefits that cost the employee almost or at double what other employers charge and do not cover as well. Every year employee cost goes up and coverage goes down.

If you enjoy wondering if you'll have a job tomorrow, come to Guidance.
    If you enjoy being lied to by management and executives, come to Guidance.
    If you want your job to devestate your personal life, come to Guidance.

Discussions with management and directors only result in being targeted. HR complaints go nowhere. And please, spare me the hypocritical reply saying how open you are to employee comments, that GSI had to change with the market, etc. That is completely missing the point. You don't have to treat people like insignificant cattle. Worst place I have ever been, which is too bad because it could be great.

Advice to Management

Nothing - they wouldn't listen. Just hoping they are all eliminated when OpenText takes over.

"Worst company I ever worked for.."

I worked at Guidance Software full-time

Pros

There are none that i can think of..

Cons

Unethical and do not trust them

"Avoid at all costs"

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time

Pros

Some people really care about the clients and the solutions
    Enterprise (renamed to Investigator - no matter how they try and spin it) great product

Cons

Bolt on products (Endpoint Security, eDiscovery, Risk Manager) nowhere near all competitors. Do not scale. Public facing information on endpoints all smoke and mirrors.

Get the deal at any cost - far from customer satisfaction - including renaming a product and getting clients to repurchase.

Knowledge, integrity and passion to do the right thing - not a lot of that remains.

The feeling of family, and feedback welcomed has gone. Now toxic with people fearing their job daily.

Advice to Management

Look after your customers - stop doing them over just to make a quick buck.
    Look after the people in the know of how the products actually work/were developed.

"So far, so good!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've just started and so far I've seen smart and motivated team members. The interviewing and onboarding was seemless and looking forward to learning more about the company and their products.

Cons

none at this time

Advice to Management

Looking forward to helping the company's success and contributing to a winning team.