Guidance Software Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Guidance Software President and Chief Executive Officer Patrick Dennis
Patrick Dennis

Pros
  • good product, just need to enable the whole company now (in 10 reviews)

• Good people, encouraged to develop skills (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Mgmt, and HR indifferent to retention makes for very high turnover (in 7 reviews)

• No one thinks of Guidance as an endpoint security company (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A tech turn-around story in the making."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In spite of the challenges the company has a lot of potential, great people to work with and a predominantly collaborative culture. Strong core product offering in forensics and digital investigations ...a dynamic and interesting market to work in.

Cons

After years of losses under the former leadership, company is pushing for profitability and growth under the new management team. It requires hard work and very lean teams. This can be a challenging environment for some who were used to a different culture with lower expectations.

Advice to Management

Continue to push us into profitability and turn us into a grown-up company. Next, modernize the infrastructure to reduce friction of mundane tasks such as expense reports.

Feb 8, 2017

Thank you so much for your open and honest review. We really appreciate you taking the time to be specific and highlight the areas that are so important to our employees. At a recent all-hands ... More

"A Cesspool"

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None - A terrible place to work. I see 5-star ratings written by management and feel compelled to come on here and tell the truth. I am sick of watching good people get fired every day.

Cons

Upper management is horrible. Sales Management is deplorable!! Fires sales reps that are making their numbers with no reason other than they don't want to pay commissions.

Advice to Management

None - It wouldn't matter anyway.

"Good Place in Great City"

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time

Pros

Smart people in a good location with lots of room to make an impact. Because of relatively small size, each employee is a key contributor with the chance to make a difference and not just be a cog in the wheel.

Cons

Small size means sometimes you just have to be agile and figure things out.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

Mar 22, 2017

FIVE stars? Yeah! Thank you for your review. At Guidance, individuals really do have an opportunity to contribute to company goals and make an impact. That can sometimes mean learning unfamiliar ... More

"A company of broken promises and with old bulky technology"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

all the people that left within the past year...

Cons

They don't care about their employees...layoffs are the only way they could even out the books and finally the CEO came out with what everyone alway knew they are stripping out the company to sell...but buyers be wise... kick the tires and check under the hood...

Advice to Management

none

Mar 2, 2017

Thank you for your review. As we've explained in other responses, we do have an obligation to our customers, employees and shareholders to operate our company in a fiscally responsible way. While ... More

"Worst place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Guidance Software full-time

Pros

Decent pay, but not much else.

Cons

High turnover. I was recruited for an opportunity that looked really exciting with promised career growth. I left a stable role with high career potential. None of those promises materialized.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees, and don't just throw them away when you have a business downturn. Employees are an asset, and you should treat them that way.

Mar 2, 2017

Thank you for your review. Reiterating some of our responses, we are transforming our business to focus on growth markets and defunding declining areas of growth -- which has unfortunately resulted ... More

"Straight from the heart..."

Current Employee - Director in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've had a lot of opportunities to expand my knowledge in my career at Guidance Software. Yes, a lot of much needed org changes but , if you're up for a challenge and willing to do more and learn more, this is the place! The cost of benefits is extremely reasonable, pay is good, the company offers flex/work from home schedules and fun events for employees to take a break from their work. The leadership team is working hard to position the company to be more successful. I personally love change as it demonstrates that we are staying competitive in the ever changing world of technology. It also has allowed me to gain more experience in areas that I didn't have in previous companies.

Cons

I really can't think of any at this time?

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, you have a great vision and strategy. Continue to help the layer below you remain accountable and encourage communication down to all employees.

Mar 2, 2017

Thank you for your great review. We appreciate you taking time to share what its like working at Guidance. Professional growth, career opportunity, good benefits, competitive pay, flexibility and ... More

"Engg"

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team of talented people

Cons

blind spots in management team

Advice to Management

you set great goals but execution on those goals and strategy is lacking.

Mar 2, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We're thrilled to hear your positive comment about the talented people who make up Guidance. Many Guides will say we have a family atmosphere at Guidance and we hope you ... More

"New leadership is turning the company around one step at a time"

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time

Pros

Leadership team appears to be doing the right things to turn the company around from the numerous mistakes of previous leaders.

Cons

Monumental change doesn't happen overnight or in a year. It will take some time and some employees don't realize this.

Advice to Management

Please stay the course, and please continue to be as transparent as possible to employees. I don't believe there is such a thing as communicating too much, so don't hold back.

Mar 2, 2017

Thank you for your five star review! It's true, Guidance Software is on the rise! We were happy to read your positive comments about our leadership team and your belief in our company's direction ... More

10. "Good solid public company"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer

I worked at Guidance Software (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I worked there, there wasn't a ton of micromanagement. Not sure if that has changed, but pretty enjoyable overall.

Cons

There were a lot of politics

Feb 8, 2017

Hello and thank you for your review. It's truly great to hear that you enjoyed your overall experience at Guidance over the years. We wish you the best in all of your career endeavors.

"It can't get any worse"

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

none anymore. It used to be a great place to work. don't work there based on its past laurels. If you get a job here, it will most likely be temporary until they sell or do more layoffs. Your performance won't mean anything to management, just a means to an end of selling eventually. There are literally 100s of better software companies to work for in Los Angeles.

Cons

Where to start? see above. No matter how productive or helpful you are, you will ALWAYS be looking over your shoulder at another round of layoffs or sale of the core assets (no one will buy the company as is). You can do much better in LA if you want to work at a software co.

Advice to Management

resign and allow people who care about the history and core digital forensics space to remake the co. You are failures.

Feb 8, 2017

Thank you for your review. As we've remarked in other responses, it is a time of change here at Guidance. We have an obligation to our customers, employees and shareholders to operate our company in ... More