Guidance Software Reviews | Glassdoor

Guidance Software Reviews

Updated November 9, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They had some really good people in the past but lost many, often as a result of layoffs or poor pay practices (in 12 reviews)

• good product, just need to enable the whole company now (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • With the recent layoffs and how desperate Guidance is to get deals it is hard to believe they are not trying to sell the company (in 5 reviews)

• Mgmt, and HR indifferent to retention makes for very high turnover (in 7 reviews)

"Avoid at all costs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time

Pros

Some people really care about the clients and the solutions
    Enterprise (renamed to Investigator - no matter how they try and spin it) great product

Cons

Bolt on products (Endpoint Security, eDiscovery, Risk Manager) nowhere near all competitors. Do not scale. Public facing information on endpoints all smoke and mirrors.

Get the deal at any cost - far from customer satisfaction - including renaming a product and getting clients to repurchase.

Knowledge, integrity and passion to do the right thing - not a lot of that remains.

The feeling of family, and feedback welcomed has gone. Now toxic with people fearing their job daily.

Advice to Management

Look after your customers - stop doing them over just to make a quick buck.
    Look after the people in the know of how the products actually work/were developed.

"eDiscovery Consultant"

Former Employee - EDiscovery Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - EDiscovery Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training was great. Management wanted you to succeed.

Cons

No benefits, not even telework

Guidance Software Response

Jul 5, 2017 – CEO

You probably meant to post this on "Guidance Software's" page on Glassdoor. They provide EDiscovery services (Guidance Solutions does not). Our benefits and approaches to telecommuting are... More

"Manage by crisis!"

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people were amazing. I am still friends with some of them and will keep in touch for years of course I was with the company 10yeara +

Cons

I'm god the company sold even though it means the execs will most likely get their golden parachutes the created for themselves during the turmoil with the former owner of the company. This may give a chance to the remaining 300 or so employees to get some of their life back and maybe some job security. moral had never been lower. Other than this spark of hope there has been no warm fuzzy feeling AT&T his company for over 3 years. The unknowns are too great to do anything there now. Hopefully the new company can get rid of all the execs who just rode what previously was a racehorse and now is just an old nag, into the ground. The culture set forth by the leadership team is one that leads qtr to qtr and makes decision to affect only the quarterly earnings and nothing else.

No one is so aloof that they don't understand a business where money needs to be made but when you cut into your ability to make profit to show your margins are good for that qtr all your doing trying to cover what is really going on.

To come on to glass door and try to respond to the messages with anything other than "yes, we were trying to align the company for sale and it was a strategy to look good, vs continue to be prosperous" is just more lies being told by a management team that lost any integrity it had years ago.

Advice to Management

My advice would not be with the old management because I can't imagine them staying. Get your paychecks and get out.

Advice to new management cleaning up after the aftermath of the last group of incredulous leadership at the top, be honest and invest in your people. That is how long term success is obtained.

"Good people, terrible culture, worst thing I ever did"

I worked at Guidance Software full-time

Pros

There are some genuinely great, intelligent and innovative people at this company delivering great products and services. Good salary. They have been sold and hopefully all senior management and executives will be leaving so there may be hope for the future, depending on OpenText's intentions.

Cons

Absolutely no career development. Mediocre medical benefits that cost the employee almost or at double what other employers charge and do not cover as well. Every year employee cost goes up and coverage goes down.

If you enjoy wondering if you'll have a job tomorrow, come to Guidance.
    If you enjoy being lied to by management and executives, come to Guidance.
    If you want your job to devestate your personal life, come to Guidance.

Discussions with management and directors only result in being targeted. HR complaints go nowhere. And please, spare me the hypocritical reply saying how open you are to employee comments, that GSI had to change with the market, etc. That is completely missing the point. You don't have to treat people like insignificant cattle. Worst place I have ever been, which is too bad because it could be great.

Advice to Management

Nothing - they wouldn't listen. Just hoping they are all eliminated when OpenText takes over.

"Trouble with understanding what they want to do"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay, that is the only pro I can think of.

Cons

I was recruited in to fix things that the company didn't want to fix. All of the people I interviewed with were let go, including the CEO making way for me to follow.

Advice to Management

Figure out what direction you want to go before uprooting people and bringing them to Pasadena. Had you thought about things a little you could have saved some time and money. Knee jerk is the operational standard with this company though.

"Great company, perfect time to join"

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time

Pros

Guidance Software is on a trajectory perfectly aligned with my career objectives. Onboarding was a delightfully warm and welcoming experience. I feel very fortunate to have this opportunity to collaborate with truly brilliant people at the forefront of digital forensics and cybersecurity innovation.

Cons

There are none worthy of mention.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Keep doing what you are doing.

"Worst company I ever worked for.."

I worked at Guidance Software full-time

Pros

There are none that i can think of..

Cons

Unethical and do not trust them

"Good but not great experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. We keep in touch even after leaving the company.

Cons

Growth opportunity was limited.
    Micro-management was common.
    Good people kept leaving because they didn't treat the employees as valuable assets, more like tools in an assembly line.
    Company vision was not clear to everyone working there.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the employee turnover ratio - it would have been a clear indicator that the culture there needed to change.

"Honest Review"

Former Employee - Professional Services Consultant
    Former Employee - Professional Services Consultant

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company making great changes to EnCase product suite, which makes it easier to use for all users. Everyone is easy going and senior consultants are willing to assist when they can. Also as an employee, you can obtain the EnCase certification for free.

Cons

Product documentation is not very useful. Products have a huge learning curve, especially if you are having to learn the product and complete client projects in parallel. The best way for someone to be effective here, is to come in knowing how to already use EnCase.

Advice to Management

Management is doing well, keep improving the EnCase product and everything should go according to plan.

"The breakdown!"

Current Employee - Director in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Engineering department had some great people, great location. Happy hours, Holiday party in a bowling alley.

They have a company restaurant that offers a discount for employees , wait never mind they had to shut it down , that money had to go into the pockets of the c-suite.

Cons

CFO - Any other CFO would of been replaced if they performed as poorly as their current CFO. You should never trust someone with money matters is there last name mean plague ... you're asking for it!.

CEO - He lacks any real command presents to be a leader. But his background is not in leadership it is in acquisitions and mergers so he was chosen for a reason , to break the company down and sell it up in bundles.

CTO - AKA the mad scientist, he was a very smart man and really did a great job early in the products infancy. He failed to delivery later in the products lifecycle and was constantly refractory causing major slips in the delivery of the products . He also like to reinvent the wheel allot instead of using technology that was proven to work , he would rather write his own.

VPs- There was only few that stood out the VP of Product Engineering & VP of Technical Services . If Guidance had a few more men and woman like them they would not be dealing with the sinking ship.

Advice to Management

Cheer up , Guidance Software can always be used as a Case Study on how to not do business. So in a abstract way you will be aiding future leaders with a model to avoid.