Guidance Software Reviews | Glassdoor

Guidance Software Reviews

Updated March 17, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • good product, just need to enable the whole company now (in 10 reviews)

• Good people, encouraged to develop skills (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Mgmt, and HR indifferent to retention makes for very high turnover (in 7 reviews)

• No one thinks of Guidance as an endpoint security company (in 7 reviews)

"Worst place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Guidance Software full-time

Pros

Decent pay, but not much else.

Cons

High turnover. I was recruited for an opportunity that looked really exciting with promised career growth. I left a stable role with high career potential. None of those promises materialized.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees, and don't just throw them away when you have a business downturn. Employees are an asset, and you should treat them that way.

Mar 2, 2017

Thank you for your review. Reiterating some of our responses, we are transforming our business to focus on growth markets and defunding declining areas of growth -- which has unfortunately resulted ... More

"Make sure to do extensive research before accepting an offer"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The forensic products for detection and remediation are very good and Guidance (EnCase) has a very good reputation in the industry. The EnCase certification still means something. It's easy to get meetings because of the large install base.

The new product, Risk Manager, has a lot of potential.

The pay and benefits are good.

Their IT and HR departments are great with letting people go. It only takes a few hours for someone to disappear from the company.

Cons

There seems to be a lack of trust that comes from the top. With the recent layoffs and how desperate Guidance is to get deals it is hard to believe they are not trying to sell the company.

If the company is betting on endpoint security do not have layoffs in R&D. No one thinks of Guidance as an endpoint security company. Invest in a real GUI.

They need to be honest with customers on the direction of EnCase eDiscovery. Why hasn't any R&D been spent on the product? It's the same GUI it has had for the last several years. There is nothing new with the product.

The CEO and management came out with a fake sales programs with a large discount to generate revenue when the upgrade should have been covered with maintenance. Customers are smart enough to see that they are not getting a new product. This ruins the reputation of Guidance with their customers.

Every quarter sales management will tell everyone this most important quarter in the history of the company.

Competition exists between inside sales and outside sales. They should comp both reps to avoid this conflict. A deal that is larger then $100k is turned over to outside sales but what is the incentive for them to turn it over when they get nothing. The same goes for outside sales. Why would someone turn over a deal to inside sales when they get nothing?

The CEO will lurk on forecasting calls and come out of the shadows unannounced.

When sales are slow be prepared for daily forecast calls.

It's hard to see a long term future with the company and there doesn't appear to be any advancement opportunities. There seems to be a layoff every month.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with the direction of the company and the product roadmap.

Jan 24, 2017

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts with us. It's great to hear your positive comments about our product, pay and benefits. As you know, Guidance is going through a transitional period ... More

"It can't get any worse"

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

none anymore. It used to be a great place to work. don't work there based on its past laurels. If you get a job here, it will most likely be temporary until they sell or do more layoffs. Your performance won't mean anything to management, just a means to an end of selling eventually. There are literally 100s of better software companies to work for in Los Angeles.

Cons

Where to start? see above. No matter how productive or helpful you are, you will ALWAYS be looking over your shoulder at another round of layoffs or sale of the core assets (no one will buy the company as is). You can do much better in LA if you want to work at a software co.

Advice to Management

resign and allow people who care about the history and core digital forensics space to remake the co. You are failures.

Feb 8, 2017

Thank you for your review. As we've remarked in other responses, it is a time of change here at Guidance. We have an obligation to our customers, employees and shareholders to operate our company in ... More

"Caveat Emptor !"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The basic core technology is solid and enjoys a big following within the digital forensic community.

Cons

The CEO used reduction in force to meet the annual guidance he provided to the board/shareholders. This short sighted action has left the company a shell of its past self, imho a house of cards. Compare last year and this year's 10k.

The company is playing catch up and missed the ball on many fronts with each product offering. Slipping to page 2 or 3 on a google search for technologies it once lead in the respective spaces.

The "new" CEO has had 2 years to "right the ship", but this company has a very long way to go.

Most employees think he just wants to sell the company and could care less about the teams or individuals.

Feb 8, 2017

Thank you for taking time to leave us a review. As we've explained in other posts, we do have an obligation to our customers, employees and shareholders to operate our company in a fiscally ... More

"Consultant"

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is always a constant challenge and new things to learn as the company dips its toes in new markets. There has never been a time where I felt that there was not something new I could learn to be more effective at may job.

There is a lot a travel involved in this position and you should know that an 80% travel position can have you home only only on the weekends. So the travel is nice for those of us who enjoy it.

There is room for growing up with the company as long as that position still exists and the budget is allocated for it.

If you are willing to put in 60-70hrs a week the bonuses and compensation can be extraordinary but only if the projects you are on have not gone over and you are not working discretionary.

Cons

Constant flux of ideas and products. I have been here almost 5 years and once you feel comfortable with a product or your knowledge of our offerings everything will change or have a new name or require a new purchase etc. Being in a role that is in constant exposure to our customers not knowing what our technology's capabilities are makes us look unprofessional. There is free training and internal webinars but when your work load is 60-70 hours a week there really is no time for for continuing-ed.

Being hired as an expert in a particular field and then being asked to be trained or certified in a field that has nothing to do with what you are brought on to do is annoying to say the least a detriment to moral.

Management is always a moving and changing world and regional areas are always being redrawn so keeping up with who is in charge of who is another layer of being effective at your job and additional hours to your work week. I have been fortunate and only, on a average, had one manager per year since being at guidance, others are closer to a new one every three months.

You are constantly being put on projects that someone else (sales, previous manager, other consultant etc.) have made promises for and you are expected to deliver even if it is in a field that you are not familiar with but Guidance operates in. Be prepared when a project goes over hours is over-promised to be on the receiving end of all the fault.

Others have complained about the travel but this was sold to me in the job interview for Services Consultants. However, like others have stated there is no corporate credit so be prepared to have up to $8k dollars of travel and expenses on your own personal card. Also, as others have stated the expenses have been updated and improved and we no longer have to mail in physical receipts which is nice but the input software we use is slow and expect to spend part of your weekend filling out the report, regardless of how much better they say having the mobile app is when it cannot to connect to the server or takes 30s to 1 min to make a change so keeping up on it on a daily basis is a chore.

I know there has been this "culture shift" in the company but I feel that only exists in the corporate office and not those of us who are in front of the customers. There is a lot of "lip service" that others have commented on about our cool and hip new team with new values and culture but that only has a direct effect on the HQ employees, is nice to see the fun and hip pictures on the intranet but is really changes nothing for those of us actually in front of the clients.

Advice to Management

Focus on your employees, the ones that you have right now. You have an immense talent pool but some of them are being asked to do things that they are not experts at, this helps no one. If you want all your Consultants to be experts in every offering we have take the time to train them and not through webinars make the time in their schedule to improve them. And if a Consultant does not want to be an expert in one of our fields that we are testing out selling new products in do not expect them to be enthusiastic about something they did not sign on for.

Stability, make sure we have management or Senior levels that can help us out when we are asked to put out fires and have no idea of what we are doing. I know that turnover is not something that can controlled by management but when some of us have a new manager every three months either through re-structuring or layoffs or them leaving this should be a red flag.

I understand that we are a business and businesses need to make money but sometimes I feel that we are coming out with new products or offerings that no one is asking about. Although I do not interface with that side of the business it seems we are confused on what our customers are asking for and out for a cash grab with these new products that no one knows how to use for one and for two are required to know how to use them the time comes but we do not have the time to learn or get training from our scheduling perspective.

Feb 8, 2017

Thank you for your review. We really appreciate you taking time to be so thorough and write passionately about all the things that are important to you. We've read through all of your feedback and ... More

"Guidance for sale"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Guidance Software full-time

Pros

Employees and the products.
    Customers that depend on us to provide tools to get the bad people.

Cons

Barry and Patrick made it very clear thier open to sell the company at the SKO. They have no interest in fighting off a take over or a good offer to buy guidance.

Advice to Management

Be honest about the future of this company. Human being are depending on getting a check. If we can trust the company to guidance Software alive then we need to walk and get new jobs.

Jan 24, 2017

Thanks for your review. We appreciate your positive comments about our employees and products. As you know, it's a time of change here at Guidance. It's important for employees to understand we have ... More

"Worst Company Ever...RUN DON'T WALK!!!!!"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

Pros

Nothing..this company is rotten to the core! All the way up to the CEO.....If I could mark Zero stars I would..no joke!

Cons

I don't have enough time to describe how messed up this place is. All I will say is you will look back at this company with regret and say to yourself....why did I waste my time here...?

Advice to Management

Sell the company for it's bones!

Jan 24, 2017

We're very sorry to hear about your experience. We would embrace an opportunity to address your concerns in a more meaningful way. Please feel free to contact us at human.resources@guid.com.

"Great Company that Lost its Way"

I worked at Guidance Software full-time

Pros

Great people doing the work.

Cons

Executive management and BOD made some mis-steps that cost the jobs of a large number of good people.

Jan 4, 2017

Hello and thank you for your review. We're always making the best decisions for the long term success of the company. Sometimes these decisions impact people unfortunately, but we must ultimately do ... More

"A company without a clear path ..."

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Guidance Software full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Bright people who really do want to help make a good product and test its effectiveness
    - A great environment to learn for inexperienced or under-experienced employees
    - Great location in beautiful Pasadena, CA
    - Fair interview process but certain individuals currently there take advantage of power and use intimidation of new hires

Cons

- The company has never had a clear definitive path of its future
    - Managers are lacking managerial experience even though they take UCLA classes
    - Favoritism has played a role in the past for promotion
    - Inability to grow in certain teams
    - Overworked if you are good
    - The company is agile but still the work creep persists
    - Directors and higher ups overrule set procedures to usher in work that's "important"
    - Work is never clearly defined and a lot of holes need to be filled in

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, stop using "cookie cutter" techniques for improving a company, listen and put into action!

Nov 22, 2016

Thank you for your review, and for taking time to specifically highlight the things that are important to you including the positives and negatives. Anytime there’s change in an organization, it’s ... More

"work at Guidance"

I worked at Guidance Software full-time

Pros

Good people, encouraged to develop skills

Cons

company is going through difficult time (layoffs)

Nov 22, 2016

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking time to leave your comments. It’s never easy to make changes in a company that’s been around as long as Guidance. We have to do what's right for ... More