Guide Dogs for the Blind Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

"A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Guide Dogs for the Blind full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked at GDB for about six months now and I truly feel blessed to have found such an awesome place to work. I enjoy the work that I do, look forward to coming in every day and get to hang out with dogs and puppies, not to mention be a part of a very impactful mission - what more could you want?

Cons

As I understand it, there have been some rougher patches in leadership a few years ago that some employees are still uneasy from and former reviewers commented on. I frankly had some reservations when I first considered GDB as an employer based on the Glassdoor reviews. However, I've only been reassured by the leadership currently in place and feel confident in the direction the organization is going.

Advice to Management

Learn from the mistakes of the past and continue to be client, employee and mission-focused.

Mar 15, 2017 – Vice President Community Operations

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We’re so glad that you are finding it fulfilling to work at Guide Dogs for the Blind and feel good about the direction the ... More

"Great mission, toxic work environment"

I have been working at Guide Dogs for the Blind full-time

Pros

Great mission, it is great to be a part of something that is helping people

Cons

The company culture is really awful. There is a lot of pettiness among employees and not a lot of support or camaraderie. The organization is very sterile and impersonal and there is very low morale among employees. There is a lot of griping and negativity, people are unhappy but seem to feel uncomfortable approaching management so just complain to other employees. Employees are made to feel dispensable and replaceable, and that they should feel honored to have been selected to work here (even though the organization seems to have a very hard time filling open positions, which remain vacant for extended periods of time and increase the workload for everyone else in the department). The CWNT/CWTT are understaffed to the point it is a welfare issue for the dogs (and employees). The residence hall and admin building are fancy and modern, however the facilities for the dogs are in disrepair. The kennels are outdated and create a safety hazard for both dogs and employees- sharp edges, unraveling chain link with sharp loose wires, crumbling concrete, and lots of spaces for dogs to get legs/paws caught.

Advice to Management

Work to create a more positive, supportive environment. Treat your employees better. Improve kennel facilities for training dogs (there is a new Puppy Center being built, however the training dogs will still be in the old facilities)

Mar 13, 2017 – VP of Training Operations, CA

Thank you very much for your feedback. Guide Dogs for the Blind is committed to creating a safe, transparent, and collaborative environment for all our employees, so we are very disappointed to hear ... More

"Loving your job and making a difference"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in San Rafael, CA

Pros

I started raising puppies for Guide Dogs for the Blind when I was just 12 years old. When I picked up my very first puppy from GDB I had no idea that one day I would be lucky enough to call them my employer. I truly feel like everything has come full circle and I am thrilled to be a part of such a wonderful staff. As I reflect on my time spent in Corporate America I know now what a blessing it is to go to work every day and work towards a greater cause. I just had no idea that I could love a job so much and be so excited to come to work every day.

Pros: Great work environment, exceptional onboarding, wonderful campus amenities (yoga, Pilates, CrossFit, massages, delicious cafeteria), supportive staff, and adorable puppies!

Cons

I, fortunately, do not have any cons to share.

Advice to Management

N/A

Mar 13, 2017 – Vice President of Marketing

Thanks for your feedback and review! We are so happy you are enjoying your new role. We have a number of employees who raised puppies for GDB while they were growing up and we truly love the insight ... More

"A good fit......for me!"

Current Employee - GDMI in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - GDMI in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Guide Dogs for the Blind full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, both the formal package and informal (perks)... beautiful environment... great people, great dogs, travel opportunities.

Cons

Nothing drastically out of the ordinary for an organization of its size. There will always be people and policies that doesn't jive with everyone.

Advice to Management

Enough with the "busy work", let some things just be.

"Not What It Appears"

Former Employee - Canine Welfare Training Technician in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Canine Welfare Training Technician in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Guide Dogs for the Blind full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, campus, benefits, and mission. People work hard as a team to achieve results and produce guide dogs.

Cons

Little room for professional growth. Poor retention of employees. Well-below market salaries. Poor structure for managerial promotions (people get promoted just because they've been there a while, not because they have earned it). Actual expectations from management are often verbally set higher than what is outlined in the job.

Advice to Management

Work on employee retention.

"Not what you think"

Former Employee - Instructor in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Instructor in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Guide Dogs for the Blind full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Only thing good is the nice campus and its location. Although it is next to an old semi creepy cemetery.

Cons

Where to start...Upper management, especially HR are completely inefficient!!! HR has no clue what's going on with the staff. They say they are there for you, but in reality are only looking out for themselves and will not offer you any help or assistance. They will bully you until you break.
    Don't get hurt because they will toss you out as fast as they can, but only after they say they are there to help you. False, lies. All lies!! They have compassion for the blind, but not for the people that work for them! It's a trap. Don't fall for the cute puppies because behind that image is a cruel, un respectful, horrid place to work. Worse decision of my life!

Advice to Management

Get some education on how to be nice and listen to the staff below you. They know more than you think and most are smarter than you. Also, learn how to appreciate what the staff do and stop taking advantage of the kind natured staff who just want to do good for others.

"Great cause but not as great to work at as it should be"

Current Employee - Line Staff in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Line Staff in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Guide Dogs for the Blind full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, very well-funded, good colleagues, wonderful volunteers, worthwhile mission that truly changes lives, and at least historically has been an extremely stable place to work. New senior management blood may reinvigorate the organization and improve some problems (too early to tell). You can bring your dog to work!

Cons

A lot of upheaval in recent years with multiple CEO changes and turnover on the board of directors, staff are jaded and distrustful of senior management, many people feel unappreciated, and currently rumors are rampant that layoffs are in our future. People who have worked here for many years have artificially high salaries after many years of automatic raises not tied to performance or market value, creating substantial inequities. Despite having more money than God in our operating fund, salaries were cut a few years ago and although that cut was reversed when the new CEO came on, only miniscule raises are planned for the next fiscal year. Myself and other line staff who have not been here 20 or 30 years are not paid enough to save for an emergency, let alone a home or retirement.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the staff who would have been fired years ago if they worked in the private sector, stop promoting people who should not be promoted, and use the money saved to pay the staff who do the real work a living wage.

"Not your typical non-profit"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Guide Dogs for the Blind full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

GDB is a very professional business-like non-profit organization. Employees get the satisfaction of working to support a wonderful mission while also getting some perks not typical to many non-profits, like a good salary and good benefits.

Cons

The leadership of GDB has transitioned several times in the last 5 -7 years. There is lots of work happening, but the environment for middle managment and above is pretty uncertain and stressful due to the almost constant transition in leadership.

Advice to Management

Be ready to work hard, be creative and challenged, and to switch gears at any moment.

9. "Amazing place to work, very dedicated staff and a leader in the field."

Former Employee - Training Department in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Training Department in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Guide Dogs for the Blind full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Guide Dogs' mission is amazing. How staff rally together to get the job done is like none other. The organization is very generous with their benefit package. Amazing staff and dogs!

Cons

In the past, the upper management was not willing to listen to the people who were providing the product. With a new CEO now, hopefully this will change.

Advice to Management

Keep dong a great job! Listen to your employees, look at ways to retain quality staff.

"Major Gifts Officer"

I worked at Guide Dogs for the Blind full-time

Pros

Excellent programs for the dogs and visually impaired clients, gorgeous campus, great marketing program.

Cons

Paid well below market even though they have over $300M in their endowment, no strategic plan or vision for the future of the org.

Advice to Management

Develop a strategic plan, create programs to assist the visually impaired with important needs like access to housing and employment and take care of your dog trainers, they are the key to the quality of your programs.