GuideSpark Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
GuideSpark CEO Keith Kitani
Keith Kitani

Pros
Cons
  • work / life balance is promoted but work is piled on so that it's hard to maintain the balance (in 8 reviews)

• Related to this is the Open Enrollment season which is tougher on the content team (in 8 reviews)

"Content Strategist"

Former Employee - Content Strategist in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Content Strategist in Redwood City, CA

I worked at GuideSpark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to learn and develop skills on your own. There are some amazing people who work here, the company's only hope.

Cons

Leadership are chickens w/ heads cut off. No help, only hostility and a rare employee who actually wants to accomplish something.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, not the executives or directors. They are worthless. There are a few people on the engineering team who know what they're doing.

2. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at GuideSpark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are nice and friendly. Easy to collaborate with. People are very hard working, very positive and very talented.
    Very diverse and laid-back. It's a fun place to work.
    The campus is very pretty. (Redwood city)
    I really appreciate the positive feedbacks I have received from people I am working with. It makes me feel rewarding and also helps me to grow.

Cons

Some software choice that we are using is... weird... I hope we can switch to some more efficient, more easy to use tools.

"Designer"

Former Employee - Designer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Designer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at GuideSpark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and sense of team work / pride. Very fun management team. They were really good about having 1-on-1s with each person on the team to keep on track with goals and performance. There were a lot of fun events / rewards during the busy season to keep people motivated. If you work hard, there is a lot of opportunity to get promoted and get the recognition you deserve.

Cons

During busy season (open enrollment season) work hours could get VERY long. It wasn't uncommon for people to stay at the office late into the evening - 8 or 9 pm or take work home. They would hire a lot of contract workers for the season to offset the extra work but it didn't always seem like enough. They then had to let go off all these contract workers, which is sad. Even though the culture is great, people seem to come and go very often, which affects morale.

"Mediocrity"

Current Employee - Sales in Chahār Meh (Iran)
    Current Employee - Sales in Chahār Meh (Iran)

I have been working at GuideSpark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good snacks, people are nice culture very laid back/anything goes, great senior level hires

Cons

company is very "middle of the road" relative to most other startups. There has been a few rounds of lay offs

Advice to Management

get better

"Good place overall"

I worked at GuideSpark full-time

Pros

Talented, passionate people.
    Smart product.
    Overall fun environment.

Cons

The executive staff asks too much of its employees. They can only use the "we're a start-up" card for so long before it starts becoming labor abuse.

Advice to Management

Take better care of the content and customer success teams.

"Difficult but hopeful"

I have been working at GuideSpark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big name clients
    FINALLY starting to see some decent new products
    Office is nice
    Engineering seems to have leveled-up
    Changes from fall reorg have started to pay off in some areas

Cons

Everyone is spot on about exec leadership. They seem to be very out of touch with reality and have very little buyin from the rest of the company and they don't really seem to care.
    Product teams are doing what they can with scattered exec focus. Decent new product seems to be coming out despite exec's lack of focus. Not sure how long that will last.
    Sales execs have very little materials to go on (very small marketing team) and have to deal with a ton of changes at once.
    Drama between departments.
    So much wasted time because of misalignment.

Advice to Management

Focus: We have the makings of a new decent product for once that we can sell, but you are biting off too much. Nobody in the company believes we will stick to the current plan.

Culture: It's starts at the top, but CEO is not very visible and doesn't feel like some of the major issues are worth his time.

"Poor Leadership"

I worked at GuideSpark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good location. Some very talented artists and designers.

Cons

CEO has no clue how to run a business. Reward for no sales? Promote and give more responsibility. Idiotic business decisions.

Advice to Management

Board needs to replace CEO if there is any chance of saving the business.

"Haven't seen a bright future here"

I worked at GuideSpark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good office
    Some of the free food are good

Cons

Very poor compensations
    Limited opportunities to learn
    Self-defined market turns to be wrong
    No wonder about the company's business is going down so fast
    Really double about whether senior managers have a great vision about the solution you are providing to solve customers' problems
    Product Managers are not designing a useful product to help the company solve problems
    Managers are not able to recognize smart and talented people
    Waste money on hiring mediorcrites, because managers can't recognize and afford smart people
    No need to work hard, because you won't get more
    No wonder smart people keep leaving
    Never dream about a bright career future in the company
    Product development department can't make differences to help the company

"Stagant Growth"

I worked at GuideSpark full-time

Pros

Great coworkers
    New office
    Good people in middle management
    Benefits
    3 free lunches a month. 2 free lunches (from EatClub) + 1 end of the month
    They have a decent selection of snacks, nuts, fruits, chips, soda, and Cup-O-Noodles
    Beer in the fridge

Cons

Disdain towards upper management from employees
    Not transparent
    Low pay
    401K - they don’t match at all
    Customer retention rate has been dropping
    Still trying to find a market fit for their product

Advice to Management

Great place to gain some good experience and move onto better opportunities at other companies - as many have done.

"A Rotting Company"

I have been working at GuideSpark full-time

Pros

The pros pale so much in comparison the cons that it feels pointless to list them, but you can check other reviews to get a sense of what they are.

Cons

GuideSpark is a failing business. Over the past several years, it's gone from growing rapidly, to growing slowly, to now not growing at all. I won't be surprised if pretty soon revenue starts to decline.

We're trying to go upmarket with solutions, when our product as is doesn't provide a lot of value for our customers. Our product management team is spreading itself into too many directions, while our sales team tries to bring $80k content packages to the market with little training that don't solve a real problem. Marketing provides zero air cover, even though the most important thing when you're "creating a market" is to educate that market and re-frame their thinking. I actually think Customer Success and Content have a pretty good grip, but too many of the deals we do win eventually get screwed up either in deployment or during refreshes from poor coordination between departments.

I fully expect more layoffs soon, even though we just cut 50 or so people in November. Rightsizing the workforce is the only answer if we're not growing and need to become profitable.

The worst part is management doesn't seem to have a clue, I've seen zero indication that they understand the real problems. They just try to sell GuideSpark's rocketship potential to an increasingly nervous workforce.

Advice to Management

Your transparency initiative is a total joke. You might think employees buy it, but they either have their head in the sand or they pretend to. Keith, your goal for the year is "one GuideSpark, one mission"? I'm sure that's what you tell the directors at board meetings.

Lay more people off now if you have to, then place a much tighter focus on fewer things. Determine what the most important things are and communicate them relentlessly. That's how you get employees to pull in the same direction, not by pushing them koolaid while they nod their head and think about their next career move.