Guidewire Reviews in London, England | Glassdoor

Guidewire CEO Marcus Ryu
Marcus Ryu

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"After a year at Guidewire"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very open culture and management open to ideas. Company is in growth mode and lots of room for personal growth. As market leader in what we do you earn respect from customers. CEO is a genuine inspiration and very philosophical. A company that actually tries to live by its value - and succeeds more often that not.

Cons

GW doesn't invest in flash offices so they can be a bit past it. If you have a services role you could spend a lot of time travelling, but are well supported by the company.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! For a 1,600 people $500M company GW is remarkably relaxed and easy to understand. Don't beat yourself up if you are not perfect

2. "great company to work for!"

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

excellent benefits, great team, acknowledgeable and competent colleagues, good and fair management, very generous company in terms of life/work balance, free breakfast items, snacks, drinks etc, good social committee that organises great outings, the possibility to work from home or have flexi time.

Cons

Unfortunately, the office is spread over two floors (1st and 4th) so there is less interaction between the different teams working on different floors. However, the once-a-month team lunches that are organised by the social committee bring people together. Working for a US company that is based in California we are quite a bit detached from the main business. Moreover, an intro/presentation of Guidewire's software products would be helpful to understand the core business better for people who are working in a non-IT related position.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work,

"Best company I ever worked so far!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

-Great colleagues and challenging work
    - Flexible hrs
    - Good benefits

Cons

There are not any worth mentioning.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

4. "Truly a Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Guidewire full-time

Pros

This is a company that is positioned for greatness with a huge opportunity to continue to build on its position as the market leader in it's sector. Its not your typical software company (and I've worked in tech for a long time) but it really does live to it's values - led by our founder/CEO who is one of the most humble and thoughtful people that I have met. Its truly collegial. Work life balance is good.

Cons

Everyone is so helpful and wants to have a voice and sometimes collegiality can slow down decision making. London office is sometimes very quiet and lacking the buzz of other tech companies.

Advice to Management

Move the London office to be a single floor! Otherwise keep doing what you're doing!

"One of the best company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In a single sentence, Guidewire is one of the best Tech company to work for. Trust me guys, current employees can tell you better about an employer than outsider and most of the time they say negative stuff about their employer. But Guidewire is one of its kind.

One of the core value of Guidewire is collegiality - which means don't be hero help each other and prosper as whole. Because of this helpfulness become part of our task.

Company takes care of our career aspiration and provide chanes to change role/tech if we want to.

Cons

I think salary can be little disappointing considering the current status of the company. But fear not, company provide you generous stocks and bonus to uplift your moral.

Advice to Management

Please consider raising compensation level to mid level employees

6. "I get to work with very talented colleagues"

Current Employee - Implementation Architect in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Implementation Architect in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with truly talented people who are focused on customer success creates a fantastic environment to work in. The culture flows from the very top and promotes openness and communication at all levels. People are genuine and helpful, particularly admin staff.

Cons

Travel can be a chore. Long international flights in cramped 'Economy' with an early start the following morning.

Advice to Management

Where specialists can become trapped without straightforward career progression create more conduits for sideways moves. Find a lighter, more compact laptop.

"Curb Your Enthusiasm: This is "Chiseling Through Granite""

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant II in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Implementation Consultant II in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is good, and if you enjoy traveling, this may be the place for you. In particular, there are a lot of international projects, so if you're up for it, you may well get the opportunity to see the world while implementing software.

The consulting team is quite a social bunch in general - expect to get invites from coworkers for dinner and drinks on a regular basis. The work itself is quite social as well - field consulting is far more than heads-down development, although it includes plenty of that as well.

Guidewire provides 3 weeks of paid vacation per year, and offers stock as an additional incentive. The medical plans are pretty standard, with PPO and HSA/FSA options.

Taxes and stock are equalized, meaning that if you work in a place (including abroad) where taxes are higher than at home, then you won't be penalized for doing so. This is an excellent benefit and one that should not be understated. If you work abroad, you'll get the additional benefit of having your foreign tax returns prepared on your behalf, free of charge.

You can live just about anywhere in the country, provided it's close to a major airport, although most clients are in the Eastern and Central time zones, so those living further west may face longer commutes. Salaries are competitive and standardized across the country, so if you live in a cheaper area, you can reap the benefits of a Bay Area salary without paying Bay Area prices.

All consultants go through 4 weeks of training and certification, including an exam and exercises, which sets a good foundation before beginning billable work with clients. (Though, to be honest, it just scratches the surface of what's to come.)

There is also (for now, at least) a yearly meeting in which the entire field consulting team has the opportunity to convene, share ideas, learn about upcoming releases and new product features, and catch up with people they've worked and trained with.

Cons

I posted a 4-star review of Guidewire about a year and a half ago, after 18 months with the company. Now, nearly 3 years in, I'm downgrading my review to 3 stars. Why? In part, because the workload is relentless, and the burnout has become acute. It simply never lets up, and I'm coming to believe that more projects than not are hectic and draining. There's simply no moderation in this work. The estimates and timelines provided to clients are often too aggressive (though this may be done in an effort to remain competitive), but it means there's typically far more work to finish than there is time to do it in, at least if you expect to work anywhere near a 40-hour week. And maybe you don't expect that, since unpaid overtime has become standard practice, but it was one of Guidewire's major selling points when I was interviewing back in 2012 - that they placed a strong focus on a moderate schedule, especially since consultants have to spend additional time traveling to and from client sites. I was even told back then that they negotiate 37-hour workweeks with some clients, but I've yet to see anything like this. It varies week to week, but it's typically 50+ hours/week plus travel time, and the more senior the consultant, the longer the hours seem to be.

In fact, I've found that as I move forward in my career here, life seems to be getting worse, not better. The pay raises have been modest, but the responsibilities and expectations have grown far faster. I no longer look forward to promotions, as they simply represent more hardship and more time in the office.

Marcus, the CEO, has often compared Guidewire's path as akin to "chiseling through granite," and I think this conveys the day-to-day experience quite well. A lot of positive things have been said about the company culture, but by and large, the job is one perpetual, interminable grind. At the end of a long and difficult project, you might breathe a sigh of relief... only to find that you're starting the whole process over again next week with a new client. Yes, you'll learn and grow from each project, but mostly it's more of the same.

And what makes it largely the same is that there isn't much structured training (beyond the initial 4 weeks), or communication happening across projects or between teams to ensure that solutions aren't reinvented. There's a great deal of reverse engineering going on, due to inadequate documentation of the existing system features (though in fairness the documentation is quite thorough compared to some companies), and there's also a lot of unnecessary duplication of effort and code because time is not set aside for consultants to document their solutions after they've been built. There is some effort being made to build structured, shareable solutions to common problems, but it could be far more proactive than it is. There's also the somewhat baffling practice of hiding platform-level code from the very consultants who are expected to build upon the system. This is done ostensibly to protect the company's intellectual property, but it leads to a great deal of confusion for consultants and frustration on the part of clients, who often expect Guidewire staff to understand every nook and cranny of their own system. It seems to me that a lot more could be done to streamline the implementation process, if only management would make it a priority to allocate the time to do so. There are a lot of inefficiencies that are being overlooked.

Overall, I'm not nearly as positive as I was about Guidewire when I started. When I first joined, this felt like the sort of place where I might make a lifelong career. But at this point, it seems largely like any other software job, albeit with some cool perks. I can't see myself staying here forever, but for the moment it'll do.

Advice to Management

Focus on training and more elaborate documentation to enable your consultants to perform more effectively in the field. The initial 4 weeks of training are good but hardly adequate in the long run. Make a stronger effort to elicit feedback from consultants, and put more effort into building standardized solutions to common requirements that can be released as part of the core product.

"The very best software solution company to work for"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Guidewire started as David vs Goliath in the insurance software industry, but on winning through to recognition as undoubted leaders, they've still preserved the best things about being a small challenger start up, and kept intact the most admirable one team culture in the business. Uniquely, as the client population has grown from tens to hundreds around the world, every single one remains an advocate..

Cons

Some of the laudable culture maxims, like single class travel policy and consciously reinforced collegial behaviour can be counter-intuitive on occasion.

"Awesome culture which the company actually lives and breathes vs lip service"

Current Employee - Vice President Global Alliances & Business Development in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, perks, values (Collegiality, Integrity, Rationality = rigorously adhered to).
    Smart people
    Solid growth
    Strong Board
    Great Management team
    100% referenceability - no failed installs
    Clear Market leader
    International expansion

Cons

Growth, Bandwidth, Travel, Timezone Challenge

Advice to Management

maintain the culture WW

"Great Guidewire"

Current Employee - Sales Operations in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Operations in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible company and employee recognition

Cons

to have to be always reachable