Guidewire Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 23, 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.4

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good career opportunities, good work/life balance" (in 116 reviews)

• "Need to work from home for something" (in 30 reviews)

"Good place to work"

I worked at Guidewire full-time

Pros

Progressive company that is in the magic quadrant when it comes to policy administration software suites for the property and casualty insurance carrier market.

Cons

Large company and growing - so there are naturally pains involved.

2. "Company has a bright future"

I have been working at Guidewire full-time

Pros

Guidewire has a bright future ahead of us. Decent pay and benefits.

Cons

There's a ton of change happening across departments simultaneously, so it's overwhelming for people like me who like stability.

"Good company, but some groups are micromanaged"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A quick review of the company history shows continual growth in an area with minimal competition. Guidewire is well established and will continue to grow. Competitive pay and decent benefits.

Cons

While some teams are allowed to freely interact and grow working relationships, others are expected to keep their nose to the grindstone all day long and interact with others only when required. If you talk with others to much, your manager will absolutely call you out on it. If you aren't performing on par with others, reports are readily available to show your shortcomings, but reports are just numbers and no detail. You are micromanaged to the nth degree. I feel I cannot interact freely with my own team, and the team is isolated not only from the rest of the employees, but from each other as well. Therefore collaboration among the teams rarely happens. I see other groups bringing in coffee for their team members, or some other treat, but a few groups would never be allowed to go on an afternoon coffee run. The time you arrive and leave is watched closely. There are also card readers on both sides of the doors leading to the bathrooms, so it feels as if your bathroom breaks may even be monitored as well. Existing technology is horribly under-utilized and all processes have vast amount of potential to be improved and streamlined. However, the teams are stretched too thin to work on process refinement. Talent within teams is also vastly underutilized due to current environment.

Advice to Management

Management has spotlight focus on business development while other teams falter and struggle. You will lose great team members in those areas if you continue to ignore them. Micromanaging must stop and managers need to let their employees be themselves and learn how to trust them to get the work done. Put the number charts away... your team members each have their area of expertise, so let them excel in those areas. Their expertise compliments each other, so they are not in a competition with each other, so let them talk and collaborate The competition atmosphere only divides the team. Lift up your teams instead of trying to break them down.

4. "Pretty good place to work for"

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Guidewire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay. Laid back atmosphere

Cons

Struggled to integrate acquisitions and seemed to always be restructuring

"Smart people who love what they do!"

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the smartest and nicest people in the industry that genuinely love what they do. Fantastic work/life balance and typically Fridays work from home

Cons

Office is a little chaotic, could be a little more organized.

"Need help"

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Solid management and client list

Cons

Poor integration of acquisitions and ability to execute

Advice to Management

Please fund the integration of the new acquisitions properly and how their customers are messaged to.

"Senior"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Guidewire is a hidden gem. It's a beautiful company with amazing people. Very collaborative and genuine team. I love being here. We do have our own challenges but what makes it a great place to work is the people here. Truly a pleasure to work with. Absolutely loving it.

Cons

I cannot think of any significant downside. Yes, if I compare it to Google and Facebook we certainly can improve our benefits. But it's not something that bothers me.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work Markus and team. Continue to focus on being innovative and be the industry leader.

"Doing things the right way"

Pros

Guidewire treats its employees and customers the right way. They do business with integrity and rational thinking. Overall, it's an excellent place to work, with products that are winning in the marketplace.

Cons

The company is struggling mightily with how to bring its products and strategy into the next decade. That leads to a lot of strategic churn and all the things that go with it - changing focus, reorganizations, etc.

"Quality of Management problematic"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Foster City, CA

I worked at Guidewire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance
    Stable environment
    Colleagues are collegial

Cons

Guidewire used to be a bottom up company. Developers were given freedom to drive projects. Now it's top down culture. Management holds most decision power - while not being hands-on enough to really understand what's going on. It's OK if you just want a cushy job and don't mind being told to implement suboptimal solutions. Not good if you are aspired to do the right thing.
    Technical caliber of engineering teams is going down as more old timers quit.

Advice to Management

Quality of management in product development seems extremely uneven. In some areas poor management is driving people to quit.

"Outstanding work environment, but on the decline"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I worked at Guidewire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Professional culture, friendly, supportive, and striving for rationality. Good amount of long time employees are still with the company helping the retention of knowledge.

Cons

The management in product development has been deteriorating in the last several years. A few years ago, a full product-dev re-org was followed by a second reboot to fix the mistakes of the first. After the re-org, engineers ended up less involved in important decisions. Appreciation of successful project delivery meaning respect, awards, or occasional promotion to project participants also subsided. The social (party) budget of teams increased substantially but that cannot mask the real issues.

Advice to Management

Stick more closely to the company values and stand your ground against the wall street pressure to reduce the company to just another public hi-tech.