Guidewire Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 19, 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.3

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good career opportunities, good work/life balance" (in 119 reviews)

• "Need to work from home for something" (in 30 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A True Career Company"

Current Employee - Director in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Guidewire is a great company and especially ideal for the career-minded individual. The company is large enough to offer a variety of jobs in all kinds of interesting locations. Even if you never change roles, your job changes and evolves as the company grows, keeping things fresh. This is an exciting time to work in the P&C insurance industry as well. Our customers and our employees are some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

Cons

Things move quickly these days - you either pick up the pace or risk being left behind. This may not be ideal for everyone, but is ideal for those who are up for the challenge.

Advice to Management

Stand by our founding principles - collegiality, rationality, and integrity are so powerful in their execution. They have made Guidewire the company it is today and will carry us forward.

2. "Sales"

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Investment (people & products), innovation, commitment to customer success.

Cons

No 'cons' to speak of at this time.

3. "Sales"

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hands down the people and the culture at Guidewire differentiate this company from any other organization I've ever worked at. It is a special place with incredibly dedicated, smart, and hard-working individuals. The strong culture and team mentality keep individuals here despite the fact that they can easily leave for more visible roles elsewhere. This is one of the best and most unique organizations (especially on the business side) in software.

Cons

Very tenured senior and middle management team make career opportunities and speed of advancement difficult, regardless of talent. Growing pains and the transition to a full cloud company can be difficult due to the lack of transparent strategy.

Advice to Management

Let the layer of middle management take on more responsibility. There are some very talented people beneath the management team level that should be allowed to help drive current initiatives. Need to look at internal investment in people and tools.

"Top notch leadership, great team mentality, just focus on the big stuff more"

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-I feel this company is only successful because of our top level leadership.

- Great team mentality/ team feeling... like we are a football team with the best coach. That's a hilarious analogy because I've never played football... but I guess some of us get to experience what that winning, fighting spirit would feel like now, in a geekier way. Personally, I find it incredibly satisfying.

- I don't feel micro-managed. Strong feeling of respect and trust in our leadership and the gals and dudes who manage guys like me only strengthen that feeling . It's a great change from previous scenarios where there is a "hate the boss" mentality. Refreshing, and makes it easier to focus on your work and goals instead of drama.

Cons

-I feel this company is only successful because of our top level leadership.
    -Too many changes in lower level management.
    -Stop trying to hire women just to even out the numbers and be politically correct!! -Hire the person who will do the job best! Women are a great part of our team but sometimes it feels like there is pie chart the management is following to "even out the herd."... then inevitably a change has to be made down the road because they just aren't good enough or have the right technical or people skills for the position.... Just hire the right person for the job, simple as that! Sometimes it will be a man, sometimes it will be a woman, sometimes they will have long hair, short hair, tanned skin, blue skin... let's just focus on the outcomes instead of the aesthetics. This is one theme at Guidewire that is annoying to everyone although nobody can say it in the eye-roll worthy times we are in. I realize this issue is probably everywhere and would be totally inappropriate to express anywhere other than an anonymous review. ... but there it is.... don't be so mousey and politically correct; the focus should be on the SUCCESS of the team and therefore the company, not pleasing the pie chart, personal vendetta or the imaginary PC police who may be secretly judging. Just hire and keep the good people, and the rest will weed themselves out when they can't keep up.

- also, while I'm at it, whoever designed this review format at glass door is a knob. Pros/cons/advice.... it forces you to break it up in a way that gives people less helpful info.

Advice to Management

Even though I'm much lower on the food chain, and can't speak from much direct connection, I can say that the general feeling here at my level is that the CEO leads and delivers the collective vision in a way that most of us feel effectively holds the culture and our results together better than any other key feature of the company's operations. I have worked for big household-name tech companies in silicon valley, but the respect, loyalty and dedication found here is incomparable. Every group will have it's whiners and people acting out of insecurity (applies to both men and women)... but the larger collective at GW is a group of highly compatible and driven people. We are a team who wants to win, and it's a good feeling to be a part of it. Highly recommend this place (especially San Fran and Ireland offices- several friends working there love it.) for highly skilled and driven developers. This is not the whiney, mopey , soft-shelled millennial environment... it's a strong and ambitious environment of intelligent like-minded humans on the same mission, with excellent values and work/life balance. I hope to stay for years to come and grow with GW.

My only "advice" is to focus on broader success.. stop sweating the small stuff and focus on the big things that we have in front of us! We can do this... I know I speak for at least my immediate handful of co-workers and friends here.

Guidewire Response

Nov 7, 2018 – Talent Attraction | Employer Branding | Talent Brand

Thank you for your feedback and transparency.

5. "Architect"

Current Employee - Architect in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Architect in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent team and good work culture
    Equal opportunities

Cons

Some Processes need to be improved

6. "UX Designer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I worked at Guidewire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Guidewire cares greatly for its employees. Strong values and culture.

Cons

Nothing to complain about here.

"A stable workplace"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Industry leader in the property and causality insurance space. Stable.

Cons

Most of the work I have done is not what I would describe as interesting or challenging.

8. "Senior UX Designer"

I have been working at Guidewire full-time

Pros

Great work/life balance and growth opportunity

Cons

Relationship between Dev/PM can be better

Advice to Management

none

"In-Secure place to work"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Moving towards Cloud
    * Latest Technologies
    * Good work life balance and compensation

Cons

* Top down management
    * Employees transferred to teams without proper discussion
    * HR bends towards management instead of analyzing real issue.

Advice to Management

Company direction and vision is good but not transparent

"Senior software engineer in cloud and big data"

Pros

Good word balance at guidewire

Cons

Less salary compared with other company