Guidewire Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Guidewire CEO Marcus Ryu
Marcus Ryu

Pros
  • The opportunity to work from home provides tremendous flexibility and allows for a good work-life balance (in 93 reviews)

• You are also free to work from home when you have things to attend to there (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance isn't a policy, but rather at the discretion of your manager (in 13 reviews)

• Growing pains of sizing up as a company (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working at Guidewire for over five years and feel so lucky to work on a team where my ideas are valued, and I feel truly cared about. I enjoy the amount of collaborative work and autonomy in my role. The corporate culture at the company is outstanding (regular company-wide meetings, opportunities for outside training and career development, and flexibility to work from home as needed) and it really is the people that make Guidewire such a rewarding company to work at.

Cons

I do not have any cons to share at this point. Management regularly responds quickly to any employee concerns as they arise. This is one of the things I like most about Guidewire- there really is an open-door policy from your peers up to the CEO.

Advice to Management

Management is doing an excellent job! I greatly appreciate the transparency at Guidewire and feel very informed about company news, changes, etc.

2. "Director"

I have been working at Guidewire full-time

Pros

Guidewire is a collaborative place to work with extremely talented and smart colleagues.

Cons

There are no significant cons that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Continue nurturing the great working environment.

3. "Good Company But..."

I have been working at Guidewire full-time

Pros

Consistently thought of as the leader in their industry.

Cons

Continuing to grow and have reached the tipping point where the privately held culture is has become the publicly traded culture.

Advice to Management

Don't get sucked into the "please the stockholders first" mentality.

"Great company to work with"

Current Employee - Senior Architect in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Architect in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Wonderful group of people to work with, all the colleagues are smart and willing to help.
    - Great culture in general.
    - It seems products are built with thorough amount of research, fairly mature product suite and works well.

Cons

- Company is growing so fast, changes are sort of hard to keep up.
    - Possibly little late to the cloud scene.

Advice to Management

1. Please consider a development and/or GSC in India. It appears like company is averse to have any office in India and I don't see any reason why. It can serve the countries around that timezone, much like Dublin center is serving other time zones around it.

2. Company has a strong product and management should make sure it continues that way (by retaining talented product development folks and ensuring that they continue to deliver a high quality product).

"Wonderful Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Guidewire is as much a community as a workplace. All of the managers, up to and including the CEO, maintain an open door policy, and will gladly hear you out on just about anything. Everyone is willing to share expertise, mentor, and teach, and to learn new technologies and approaches.

Management prides themselves on communication, keeping everyone informed not only of their decisions, but how they came to their conclusions.

Cons

Often, the policies and practices implemented don't make much sense for satellite offices. That said, the response from Management is usually "do what makes sense to get the job done."

"N/A"

Current Employee - N/A in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - N/A in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation is to par. Some groups seems to have know how to balance work while other group is all about work.

Cons

Needs to work on providing better work culture. Seems like some people are over work and glued to their cubes. Small break rooms. Invest more on employees onsite perks.

Advice to Management

Don't be so serious. Have fun and appreciate your employees more

"Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Remote, OR

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people and the culture are second to none. Guidewire is an exciting and rewarding company to work at with significant emphasis and resources placed on their team members. It is highly collaborative and respectful. I feel like a highly valued employee and that my work has a positive impact on the company. Feedback is a part of the culture and provides growth opportunities personally and professionally. The opportunity to work from home provides tremendous flexibility and allows for a good work-life balance. We all work hard but don't feel micro managed.

Cons

There really are none other than the amount of PTO the company provides. While the company shutdown the week between Christmas and New Years is nice, giving employees no choice but to use three days of PTO during that time does not seem like the right approach since it limits other days during the year an employee can elect to take time off. If the company wants to shut down, the three days should not be counted against an employees PTO bank. Competing in Silicon Valley for talent would suggest a better PTO offering. With this said, if this is Guidewire's worst infraction, it's one we can live with.

Advice to Management

Keep operating as you do. Company meetings and communications give all employees great information on the direction and status of the company.

9. "Consulting Manager"

Current Employee - Consulting Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consulting Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Fast paced, dynamic, challenging environment. Intelligent co-workers. Flat org structure.

Cons

Those in Services travel extensively.

10. "Professional Services - GREAT Opportunity *IF* you Like to Travel"

Current Employee - Professional Services Field Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Professional Services Field Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you know Java and are willing to travel weekly, or possibly stay away from home for longer periods of time, Guidewire Professional Services field work can really work for you. We encourage our customers to take a more agile approach than they have used in the past. This combination of well-designed integrated package software with a reasonable agile methodology results in a very high project success rate.

Cons

Would be nice if there was more emphasis on agile, and on empowering an even higher quality of customer software development.

Advice to Management

Adhere to the stated values. Do not become overly impressed with what impresses the customers.

11. "Presales Consultant - Great company and people. Cutting edge technology in the Insurance Industry"

Current Employee - Presales Consultant in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Presales Consultant in Remote, OR

Pros

- Some of the most intelligent and humble people I've worked with. You'll walk past the CEO your first trip to headquarters and not realize it
    - Best of breed products
    - Haven't missed sales goals in 11 years
    - Flexible schedule and work locations
    - Ton of autonomy
    - Great pay and incentives
    - Company continues to grow through sales and acquisitions

Cons

- It's in the insurance industry so you have to be willing to learn insurance if you're not from this side of things
    - Like with any presales role, peak travel season can get grueling but worth it

Advice to Management

Keep promoting within! Keep looking for additional avenues of revenue. Keep the small company culture and feel