Guidewire Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Guidewire CEO Marcus Ryu
Marcus Ryu

Pros
  • The opportunity to work from home provides tremendous flexibility and allows for a good work-life balance (in 94 reviews)

• Some people - depending on your role - are allowed to work from home some days (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance isn't a policy, but rather at the discretion of your manager (in 13 reviews)

• Small company getting big growing pains (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working at Guidewire for over five years and feel so lucky to work on a team where my ideas are valued, and I feel truly cared about. I enjoy the amount of collaborative work and autonomy in my role. The corporate culture at the company is outstanding (regular company-wide meetings, opportunities for outside training and career development, and flexibility to work from home as needed) and it really is the people that make Guidewire such a rewarding company to work at.

Cons

I do not have any cons to share at this point. Management regularly responds quickly to any employee concerns as they arise. This is one of the things I like most about Guidewire- there really is an open-door policy from your peers up to the CEO.

Advice to Management

Management is doing an excellent job! I greatly appreciate the transparency at Guidewire and feel very informed about company news, changes, etc.

2. "If you can work here - do it!"

Former Employee - Desktop Support Analyst in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Desktop Support Analyst in Foster City, CA

I worked at Guidewire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company really is a great place to be. The people, atmosphere, open door policy of management, the culture - everything. Everyone is pretty friendly, and like all other places - people buckle down and get busy when they need to. I have never had anyone be too busy to look up and say, "Hello" as I walked by them. Truly a friendly environment. I loved working here. The only reason I'm a former employee, I left on my own accord to be with family across the country. If I could have stayed I would have. Will definitely miss being a part of the Guidewire family.

Cons

I really have no Cons regarding Guidewire.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. You're all taking the company in a great direction.

"Still a good global software company, smart colleagues, solicitous CEO"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No bureaucracy, large portfolio to experience, many technologies to dive in, there is away the room for you to grow if you want to

Cons

Few years ago, I rated with 5 starts. Now something is changing. Maybe the martinet of the operational expense. Maybe the speed of innovation...

Advice to Management

Give more work life balance. More technology driven other than overhead on documentation, standards, guidelines, workflow

"Technical Lead"

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Its a Great workplace
    The product is awesome and is liked by customers
    People are really smart and very involved in the companies day to day activities

Cons

The focus of management is declining day after day. The company has also started to lower the facilities for employees in general

Advice to Management

Please focus more on the employees

"Senior Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Guidewire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule with reasonable benefits.

Cons

Pay level is below industry standard

"Best company to work for - hands down"

Current Employee - Desktop Support Analyst in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Desktop Support Analyst in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and culture. Management has an open door policy. Some people - depending on your role - are allowed to work from home some days. People actually care about the company. At company meetings, any concerns about the direction of the company by employees are answered by the CEO, with clear and concise answers. It's hard work - but it's also rewarding. Upper management aren't always around as much as some people would like, for good reason - they have a company to run. Time is made with quarterly company meetings to bring up concerns, and the CEO also responds to email he receives personally, as well as the rest of the management team.

Cons

I honestly have no cons about working at this company.

"Unusual Pressure from management to clear the certification and Termination is possible even after completing the cert"

Former Employee - Architect in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Architect in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Guidewire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Snacks, they send people to Ireland for doing the certification

Cons

I cleared the first two certifications in Ireland and then after coming back to US I prepared for the last one. However, the team I had in my panel was very rude and while showing the demo I missed couple of things and they asked me to leave the company. I have tremendous track records in all the companies I have worked with and I am having 13 years of Development experience. As per Guidewire I was not fit enough to code so I was terminated.

Advice to Management

nothing. Not a good company to work with. Sorry to say that there is no presence of senior management. Please give a cool, calm environment to the employees so that they can prove themselves.

"Great company to work with"

Current Employee - Senior Architect in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Architect in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Wonderful group of people to work with, all the colleagues are smart and willing to help.
    - Great culture in general.
    - It seems products are built with thorough amount of research, fairly mature product suite and works well.

Cons

- Company is growing so fast, changes are sort of hard to keep up.
    - Possibly little late to the cloud scene.

Advice to Management

1. Please consider a development and/or GSC in India. It appears like company is averse to have any office in India and I don't see any reason why. It can serve the countries around that timezone, much like Dublin center is serving other time zones around it.

2. Company has a strong product and management should make sure it continues that way (by retaining talented product development folks and ensuring that they continue to deliver a high quality product).

"N/A"

Current Employee - N/A in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - N/A in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation is to par. Some groups seems to have know how to balance work while other group is all about work.

Cons

Needs to work on providing better work culture. Seems like some people are over work and glued to their cubes. Small break rooms. Invest more on employees onsite perks.

Advice to Management

Don't be so serious. Have fun and appreciate your employees more

"Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Remote, OR

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people and the culture are second to none. Guidewire is an exciting and rewarding company to work at with significant emphasis and resources placed on their team members. It is highly collaborative and respectful. I feel like a highly valued employee and that my work has a positive impact on the company. Feedback is a part of the culture and provides growth opportunities personally and professionally. The opportunity to work from home provides tremendous flexibility and allows for a good work-life balance. We all work hard but don't feel micro managed.

Cons

There really are none other than the amount of PTO the company provides. While the company shutdown the week between Christmas and New Years is nice, giving employees no choice but to use three days of PTO during that time does not seem like the right approach since it limits other days during the year an employee can elect to take time off. If the company wants to shut down, the three days should not be counted against an employees PTO bank. Competing in Silicon Valley for talent would suggest a better PTO offering. With this said, if this is Guidewire's worst infraction, it's one we can live with.

Advice to Management

Keep operating as you do. Company meetings and communications give all employees great information on the direction and status of the company.