Guidewire Reviews | Glassdoor

Guidewire CEO Marcus Ryu
Marcus Ryu

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Guidewire is a great place to work."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Guidewire is probably the most reasonable place I have ever worked. Management is focused on delivering quality software to insurance companies, so software engineers are treated very well. The insurance industry is notoriously slow, which gives us the opportunity to make good choices and not cut corners. Guidewire is full of humble geniuses -- seriously, there's a lot of brain power behind the keyboards.

Cons

Most of the technology that Guidewire uses is developed in-house. Because of that, there are fewer opportunities to gain experience in technologies that other software companies expect when hiring. Also, Guidewire develops software for the insurance industry, which is extremely slow and behind in terms of technology.

Advice to Management

Senior Management is very honest, but they could stand to be a little more upbeat and talk to the minions more often. Sometimes the crickets are deafening.

"Enterprise software doesn't get better than this"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Guidewire is full of talented people. Engineering, Sales and Services all excel at creating great products and delivering to customers. Best of all it feels like everybody here is working together toward a common goal. We have a flat corporate hierarchy and little or no office politics. Your bosses always know what's going on. Unlike most companies they can know more than many of the workers. There is a culture of openness from the executive level down so we always have a good idea of the company's current situation and challenges and strategies.

The company is very engineering oriented. The engineering team is sharp and they've got some really cool stuff. There is a heavy focus on quality but the company also knows that it requires a lot of work and investment. Quality doesn't happen just because people talk a lot about it. The company knows that faster development will lead to more sales today but better development will lead to more sales tomorrow. And we want to be here tomorrow. So the work life balance is good and we're proud of what we're building.

Cons

Guidewire is a startup but the benefits could be a little better. The company is big enough that individuals work on narrow areas. This can limit your impact and make it hard to learn new things.

Advice to Management

Keep visible, come to Thirsty Thursdays, don't lose touch with the company.

"A great company with an awesome future"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

Pros

As a current employee of Guidewire I am very proud to be affiliated with this company, and extremely bullish about the company's future. We have a very flat organizational structure on the development side, which ensures that all voices and opinions are heard and our concerns with regard to schedule are factored into all release planning. The flat structure also allows for people to step up where they see a need and act to fill that need. After 8 years, the founders are still very involved with the day to day operations (for example, the CTO writes code on a regular basis). The company has a great tradition of internal and external transparency. Management shares extensive details about company financials, sales pipeline and other critical topics at quarterly meetings. The external transparency is evidenced in how sales and management deal with current and prospective customers, always telling the truth even when it's not going to be popular.

Cons

Not the greatest benefits package. Specifically, no match on the 401(k), and none planned until after a future IPO. In general the management is very frugal, bordering on cheap. On the plus side this has helped the company to surf the economic tsunami successfully and remain in a very strong market position, but a 401k match would be nice.

Advice to Management

keep up the hard work.

"Excellent Product, Employees and Company"

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Guidewire is a financially solid software company that has taken on a tough market and performed very well. The culture is very "no nonsense" but the atmosphere is very collegial and there is not a sense of a strict hierarchy. The development organization is very innovative.

Cons

The marketing group at Guidewire is very traditional in their approach. The innovation that you see in development does not exist in marketing. That said, the group is talented and produces quality materials.

Advice to Management

Although a tight focus on results is important for a successful company, it is also important to make sure that employees are enthusiastic about their work. While I think this is understood by the execs in development, it is less so in other departments.

"A Long-term Workplace for High-Skill Grownups"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Guidewire is an rare phenomenon not only in Silicon Valley, but in the corporate world overall: a business run with extremely high integrity, passion, and long-term orientation all at the same time. The founders identified a deep (if obscure) market need and pursued it with unwavering focus and humility, quietly designing and building products far better than their competitors (as far as I can tell....). The implementation team is the most competent and selflessly committed I've seen in my long career in IT. The engineering organization is utterly free of the dysfunction and cynicism I'm so used to seeing in Silicon Valley. And the management team is unfailingly transparent with information to all employees, warts and all, treating its workforce as it should be: as highly skilled colleagues in a long-term endeavor, not as fungible inputs in a machine. It's gratifying to work for a place with a such bright prospects, but also so steady and rational a plan and such honesty. I just hope it keeps it up.....but given how many co-workers I see who have stayed for multiple years, through thick and thin, I'm very optimistic.

Cons

This is not Google or Facebook or Twitter. If you're after the sexy aspects of what those companies are said to offer (massages, free sushi lunches, all-night coding parties, whatever), you're not going to find it here. Nor will you retire a multi-millionaire with your stock options. The benefits are average. Also, HR is pretty amateur.

Advice to Management

Continue the commitment to transparency. Continue keeping the obstacles out of the way of employees getting their work done. Don't change the small-company policies that people love.

"Come work for us"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Mateo, CA

Pros

A brilliant organization with clear goals and very satisfied customers. Ask anyone how often ex-employees come back within a year or less.

Cons

Perennially understaffed. We can't seem to find people of the caliber we'd expect at this level

Advice to Management

We are a very serious bunch. Lets have fun sometimes.

"Great place, mostly"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Very good company management, doesn't get in the way and focuses on the right things. Very smart colleagues makes it a good work environment

Cons

I think guidewire is very cost-conscious, which is mostly a very good thing and has allowed the company to thrive, even in a very difficult economy. I think that this means salaries are not on the high end, that's the biggest negative but overall it's a great place.

Advice to Management

I really cannot offer any advice here, this is a great company and the management is doing a very good job.

"Serious about company values - integrity, rationality, collegiality"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

The company interview and hiring process is very selective. That means employees trust each other. Very little politics. There is a lot of teamwork, and still there are opportunities to exercise inititive, take responsibility and get something done. When mistakes happen, people are unafraid to accept blame, and everyone wants to help resolve problems.

Cons

Not the best benefits, yet salaries are competitive. The jobs require travel the time away from home is tough. At least, the home office people truly appreciate the "road warriors" and do their best to help them where possible.

Advice to Management

Most of the management team members are highly intelligent and work hard. And while they are open to ideas from the employees, it often seems they don't know how to accept input and new ideas from others. Fortunately, most employees are also highly intelligent and are not afraid to push hard when they want to.

"Honest company with long-term focus and dedicated management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Guidewire has been a very satisfying place to work. My co-workers are honest and highly competent; the company takes its promises to customers very seriously; and there is great collaboration between different company functions. There is also excellent communication overall, and the company strategy is straightforward. Work-life balance is up to you, with no face time mandated or expected. The best indicator of the company's quality is that there are so many people who have been with the company for years, including multiple people who left but came back after realizing how good it was.

Cons

The market is obscure; most people think insurance is boring. Compared to Facebook, maybe it is, but arguably it's better to serve a real need than pursue a fad.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, especially the communication.

"Excellent place to work with smart colleagues"

Current Employee - Development in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Development in San Mateo, CA

Pros

- Smart and fun folks
    - Complex problems to solve
    - Customers love us
    - Adapting agile practices for enterprise software
    - Selling with integrity and product driven
    - Flat organizational structure despite consistent growth

Cons

Guidewire focuses on Property & Casualty Insurance core systems which we don't kid ourselves in thinking is the sexiest industry. However, there are real and sophisticated problems that we solve with our solutions and are used everyday by a large and global user base.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and while the recent changes have been good, the execution is a little rushed (we're bigger than we used to be).