Guidewire Reviews | Glassdoor

Guidewire Reviews

Updated July 19, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The opportunity to work from home provides tremendous flexibility and allows for a good work-life balance (in 97 reviews)

• Everyone who works on-site gets to work from home on Friday (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance isn't a policy, but rather at the discretion of your manager (in 13 reviews)

• Small company getting big growing pains (in 18 reviews)

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From the time I applied until today, each stage of the process was great. There is a true sense of collegiality and respect among all workers. Folks can agree to disagree and continue to be very respectful of each other. I have been with the company less than a year and my managers have encouraged growth and cross training across the team. This really is a wonderful place to work.

Cons

No cons at this time.

Advice to Management

You all are doing a wonderful job. We can see that you care. Continue to invest in your staff and encourage opportunities to work remote with flexibility in work hours. Your employees will go to the mat for you if they feel appreciated and valued. Thank you.

2. "Best product based company to work in insurance domain"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive Pay in Bay area.
    Excellent company perks.
    Renowned brand.
    Excellent work life balanced work culture.
    Highly sophisticated and professional work culture.
    You get an opportunity to work with excellent technology stacks.
    This company is good for long term as well short term pursuant.

Cons

I don't see any cons with company's culture or growth until I really start comparing apple with oranges

Advice to Management

NA

3. "Director"

Current Employee - Director in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stable and strong leadership, incredible work culture, smart and likeable people

Cons

Benefits are pretty plain, pay could be more competitive

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on innovation and evolution. Constant investment is needed in resources to grow the business.

4. "Guidewire - I believe in you!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Pros

After 10 years here, Guidewire has spoiled me. I have simply gotten so used to working with smart, collegial people who genuinely care about the company, the customers and one another. It is easy to forget that not all companies are like this. The leadership team cares deeply about doing the right thing for the employees. We are in exciting times and looking to once again disrupt the insurance industry with our offerings. This means some changes and adjustments, which are being carefully planned, but of course can still result in people being worried about the unknkown. We've been there before, and have even made some mistakes underestimating the complexity of products in the past. However, the leadership owned up, course corrected, and didn't compromise on quality. So, I continue to believe in the company's ability to deliver the best products for our customers, while providing a place with the character and values that employees can feel good about.

Cons

A few years ago, I said one con was that we were undergoing changes and I didn't know how those would work out. Well, here we are again, changing and adapting. So, I wouldn't call it a con, but a way of life in a growing company serving a dynamic industry.

Advice to Management

Keep listening

"Happy Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Pros

Guidewire values their employees and provides great compensation and benefits. The work life balance is the best I've ever experienced in any company. I enjoy working with my colleagues and feel my manager values me. Marcus is a smart leader that I am proud to work for.

Cons

I can't think of any cons at this time. I only gave 4 stars for the career opportunities section because even though Guidewire does well in this area, I think it is something they can work on.

Advice to Management

Continue to value your employees and possibly think of more ways to reward or recognize those who go above and beyond.

"Dynamic Company witih a clear focus on values"

Current Employee - Chief Customer Officer in Avon, CT
    Current Employee - Chief Customer Officer in Avon, CT

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Clear focus on value to the customer
    Good cross functional communication
    Dynamic and interesting business with many challenges

Cons

Maintaining culture while growing through both organic and inorganic growth.

Advice to Management

Remain focused and take care of the customer

"Good company with strong roots to grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has strong cultural roots for an even stronger future to grow. The senior management here really cares about its employees and the company. I have heard many of the senior leaders speak in private and it is astonishing how much they care. The culture is great in the midst of Silicon Valley. There are lots of opportunities for the company and its employees. For employees - it's a great place to start and grow a career. If you're a professional its even a better place to hone your skills to determine the next evolution of you...and take on increasing challenges

Cons

Employees are a bit spoiled...and its across the gamut. The company is in the midst of an evolution - and employees like most don't like it. Middle management doesn't get the talk that they need to hear. Most live in the past and are having difficulty shift to where the company is today and its preparation for the future.

Advice to Management

Prepare your middle managers to be more agile. We tend to focus on the generals at the top but its the captains on the front line that need to be groomed/trained/educated on how to run a company. Communicate more with your employees.

"Keep up the small company culture in period of continued growth..."

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is striving hard to maintain a small company culture even when it has grown to over 1500+ employees. It is not easy but keeping that spirit is going to be invaluable in continuing to attract and retain the talent that has helped the company to be successful.

Cons

There isn't anything significant that I can think of at this time.

Advice to Management

Starting to see proliferation of titles across the board without any meaningful change in responsibility. May be it is needed but merits thoughtful assessment.

"Senior Business Partner"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Fantastic culture and low friction between organizations. Helpful and serious minded co-workers. Prudent leadership team who are reasonable. Guidewire has a bright future and great market share.

Cons

I think the company is in growth mode and will have some growing pains for which to plan. It is a very unpredictable economic situation in certain regions. The management team will have to be vigilant against threats. The company will have to be aggressive to continue to attract the best talent.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Recognize that we are competing for high value skills in a very tough marketplace. Consider continuing to open up locations in lower cost geographies and take advantage of under utilized pockets of talent.

"Still the Best Company I Have Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Product Development in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Product Development in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been here more than ten years, and it's longer than anywhere else I have ever worked. I've been here so long because it is, by far, the best company I have ever worked for. the decisions are rational, the people are incredibly easy to work with, the collaboration is better than anywhere else, and the work is interesting. What more could you want?

Cons

I really don't see any cons to working here. The culture is great, the product is doing really well, and the work is interesting.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. I think this is a very special company, and I hope you appreciate that and keep it up.