Guidewire Technical Writer Reviews | Glassdoor

Guidewire Technical Writer Reviews

Technical Writer

5.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good career opportunities, good work/life balance" (in 119 reviews)

• "Need to work from home for something" (in 30 reviews)

Cons

"Utterly delighted to work here!"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working at Guidewire almost a month now. I am utterly delighted to be here. My colleagues are exceedingly bright and truly helpful to newbies trying to learn the ropes.

What's fascinating from an hiring perspective is how much Guidewire weights recommendations about my former colleagues! The voice of the rank-and-file employee truly makes a difference!

On a daily work level, the work and tools are interesting, We use the agile methodology to develop software but the deliverables are reasonable. I don't feel insane pressure to perform. Guidewire honestly believes in work/life balance.

Also, the executives at all levels I've seen go out of their way to communicate information important to understanding how the company is doing.

Let me add an important observation about the hiring process -- it is amazingly straightforward. The recruiters, the hiring manager, and the people who interviewed me were direct and professional. When somebody said they'd get back to me, they kept their word. Nobody threw me any weird curve balls.

I have absolutely no reservations about working at Guidewire. I love being here.

Cons

No fresh fruit on Fridays? Not enough sugar-free Snapple in the fridge? Talk about trivial problems.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

2. "Great Place for Technical Writers"

Current Employee - Technical Writer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been with Guidewire for over 10 years. It has been and continues to be a great place to work.

The level of technical expertise is high, including the members of the Documentation team. The engineers appreciate it when I do my homework and learn as much as I can about a feature before asking them questions. But provided I have done my homework, they are very helpful.

I find my relationship with the dev team to be highly collaborative. I've gotten great reviews of the draft documentation from the developers. Also, when I point out places where the application is inconsistent, poorly labeled, or unnecessarily confusing, they have a genuine concern. I've filed several bug issues of this nature, and many of them have actually gotten fixed!

Cons

All of the cons I can think of are standard for any software company. Sometimes, there are multiple releases in close proximity that have documentation needs and you have to divide your attention between them. Sometimes things get implemented (or aborted) without being mentioned in a Functional Spec. Sometimes the code is changed at the very last minute.

There will be cons in every company. The number of cons I see here is dramatically smaller than that of other software company I've worked for.

3. "Especially good environment for older workers"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Guidewire is blind to the ages of our employees, valuing experience and ability far beyond caring about how old their work force is. This is especially important to me as a member of this demographic.

Guidewire is also blind to the cultural diversity of our employees, and I really enjoy working within this diverse environment.

Guidewire is a great place if you like change. The job you do today will probably not be the job you will be doing next year or even next quarter. If you want to work in a stagnant environment, Guidewire is probably not for you.

Cons

Although the company is generous when it comes to salary, bonuses, and stock, it is sometimes too frugal when it comes to other matters, such as a frugal travel policy, small work areas, and no real personal space.

Advice to Management

As the company grows, please try to maintain the aspects and culture that got us to where we are today. In particular, do not let management assume a stance that they are more important or more deserving than the worker bees. Keep private offices to a bare minimum based on need, not level. Keep all management approachable by anyone, and maintain the culture that allows any employee to talk to any other employee about any subject without fear of reprisal. This equality regardless of rank is probably the most important part of Guidewire's culture, and I would be very disappointed to lose it.

"Guidewire is the best software company I have ever worked for in my 29 years in the industry."

Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- There's more visibility into senior executive decision making, long term planning, and financial results than in any company I have worked for.
    - The culture is rational and egalitarian. Ideas are discussed and considered from many sources, and I feel that I have as much input into planning and effect on the final product as I could ask for.
    - The pay is excellent, and benefits appear to be similar to those at software companies of the same size.
    - The products are well designed and rich in content, and continue to be the best in class for Guidewire's market segment. Even better, Guidewire has figured out how to sell and successfully configure these complex products, making the company the market leader and the one to bet on. That translates into great bonuses and a decent stock price.
    - Guidewire has high hiring standards, and the technical staff is impressive in their quality and experience, yet there's none of that self aggrandizing I've seen at some other companies I've worked for. I find engineers at every level to be open to ideas and easy to collaborate with.
    - There's a lot of camaraderie in the teams. Guidewire supports team outings that encourage team building and good interpersonal relationships.

Cons

- I would like to work from home more days a week on a regular basis than the company supports. However, when I need to work from home for a particular reason, there's never a problem with doing so.
    - I'd like health benefits to be better than the industry standard. However, I came from a larger company that had excellent benefits, so the comparison might not be fair. Additionally, I understand how expensive healthcare insurance has become, and that the company has made a decision to focus more on monetary rewards like salary, stock, and bonuses, all of which I find to be generous.
    - The company appears to be in transition from a successful, post-IPO startup to a larger, more mature company. The company is doing pretty well with expanding management staff and planning capabilities, but has made some mistakes. However, so far they've been nothing major or difficult to recover from, and the response from senior management has been encouraging and remarkably open.

5. "asldkjflajdsf"

Current Employee - Principal Technical Writer in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Technical Writer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Guidewire Software has an incredible team of very bright software engineers. I get to work with and write about some modern and very technically advanced software. Guidewire is a place where my efforts are valued and good ideas thrive. Plus, I like working at a global software company that is growing significantly and becoming the dominant software provider in a very lucrative market. My future is bright at Guidewire.

Cons

I live in San Francisco and the office is in Foster City. Wish there were better commute options between the two.

6. "It's a great company with a commitment to treating employees rationally, with integrity, and professional respect."

Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer

Pros

The technology is awsome. Their proprietary development system for large-scale enterprise applications is the best I've ever seen in 20 years of enteprise development systems. The quality level of the software is awsome -- it has a built-in test harness that lets QA run thousands of regression tests on every code check-in. What I like best is that management is not driven by closing deails and corrupting the software with odd one-off features. They are building the software and the company for the long term.

Cons

It's privately held, so there is no ESPP program.