Guidewire "growing pains" Reviews | Glassdoor

Guidewire Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated Nov 12, 2018

4.0
Guidewire CEO Mike Rosenbaum
Mike Rosenbaum
Pros
  • "Work-life balance with flexibility and respect for personal needs;(in 125 reviews)

• "smart people around you makes it interesting(in 34 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Sales"

I have been working at Guidewire full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Hands down the people and the culture at Guidewire differentiate this company from any other organization I've ever worked at. It is a special place with incredibly dedicated, smart, and hard-working individuals. The strong culture and team mentality keep individuals here despite the fact that they can easily leave for more visible roles elsewhere. This is one of the best and most unique organizations (especially on... the business side) in software.

Cons

Very tenured senior and middle management team make career opportunities and speed of advancement difficult, regardless of talent. Growing pains and the transition to a full cloud company can be difficult due to the lack of transparent strategy.

Advice to Management

Let the layer of middle management take on more responsibility. There are some very talented people beneath the management team level that should be allowed to help drive current initiatives. Need to look at internal investment in people and tools.

Guidewire2018-11-13
  2. "Business Analyst"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Guidewire

Pros

Challenging work Contractors/Consultants are valued team members

Cons

Growing pains with recent merger

Guidewire2017-10-09
  3. "Great company worthy of your consideration!"

Current Employee - Professional Services Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great company that focuses on serving the insurance industry and is striving to be the premier software provider for that industry. While this may not sound as sexy as Facebook or Google I've found that working in an industry that exists to help people when they need it the most (ie: hurricane Harvey) is very rewarding in it's on right. I highly recommend you check out this company!

Cons

Company is growing steadily and is experiencing the normal growing pains of making sure to maintain culture and growth opportunities for its employees. Work-life balance can sometime be a challenge as well.

Advice to Management

Keep up the culture of open communication and adhering to the core values of integrity, collegiality and rationality.

Guidewire2017-08-29
  4. "Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Professional Services in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Guidewire full-time for more than a year

Pros

By far, the people are the best. There is respect for the work, people and ideas. Highly recommend. The new fiscal year email from the CEO to employees was the right mix of forward vision and realistic thinking - inspired my confidence. After working with numerous organizations over the years, I would vote Guidewire as the best to date.

Cons

It's not a con, rather an observation - some growing pains with the shift from small to large company.

Guidewire2017-08-29
  5. "Nice company full of great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have been working at Guidewire for over 6 years. I still believe it is a great place to work. The work is challenging and my co workers are amazing.

Cons

Guidewire is experiencing some growing pains. There are some groups that are happier than others.

Guidewire2017-08-22
  6. "Great company with stong values"

I have been working at Guidewire

Pros

Empowered workforce able to make critical decisions Mutual trust and support from all worldwide Challenging work and interesting subjects to consider Good advancement potential Good compensation

Cons

Small company getting big growing pains

Advice to Management

Keep our heads down and working hard for quality first, cloud enablement, lower TCO, Easier upgrades, better performance

Guidewire2016-10-07

"Good company"

I have been working at Guidewire

Pros

Doing well as a company. Solid product and track record with the customers. Good work life balance, but mostly tailored to people with families. Young and single people, look somewhere else.

Cons

Growing pains of sizing up as a company. Lots of changes happening at the same time, some with not a lot of clear reasons as to why. Average benefits and pay

Guidewire2016-01-20
  8. "Great culture, some growing pains"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time for more than a year

Pros

Consistent with many other reviews here, it was the culture of the company that attracted me here. After 2+ years here this is still the only company I've worked for in the valley that consistently "walks the walk" and adheres to it's espoused values. The company is going through something of an internal transformation as it responds to changing market conditions and it is becoming much more forward looking than... it was in the past. There are huge opportunities here due to this transformation for those willing to deal with the increase in uncertainty that can accompany such transformations.

Cons

Guidewire is inevitably suffering some growing pains as it scales its business model. The way some things worked in the past will no longer work in the future. The change management aspects of this are the biggest concerns: retaining the core identity of the company as we try to become more lean and agile.

Advice to Management

Double down on the cloud transformation and continue to empower teams and individuals. As we try to become more "strategic" in our thinking there is a danger that we'll become too "top down" and lose much of what makes Guidewire special: individuals who care about our customers and want to be proactive in ensuring their success.

Guidewire2015-10-29

"Awful Place to Work - Avoid!"

Current Employee - Sales/Marketing in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some nice people, good spot if you are looking for an insurance-company culture. Convenient if you live in Foster City or San Mateo.

Cons

They like to say that the company is experiencing "growing pains", but in reality they have fostered a culture of elitism, inertia (consensus-driven decisions, which are horrible for the business) and many very insecure employees/managers with lower-than-average skills. Anything innovative is considered threatening and any employee who strives to deliver above mediocre is quickly ushered out the door. Nothing of... their published values are practiced here. There is a good reason why this company is always hiring...

Advice to Management

Clean house as the problem starts at the top, time to grow up;

Guidewire2015-09-14

"A truly great engineering org."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I worked at Guidewire full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I recently left Guidewire after nearly a decade for a very large company, for career-development and salary reasons. Guidewire's core engineering culture remains exceptional and I would not hesitate to work for them again in an engineering role. Despite the kool-aid at the larger company I now work at, Guidewire remains the place where I was around the largest proportion of brilliant people, and even more... importantly, with the fewest jerks and egotists. Guidewire engineering has a tremendous emphasis on craftsmanship and quality. They also have huge flexibility with workstyle and time off, realistic deadlines -- no death-marches at release time -- and the company as a whole takes the customer focus and value "integrity" very seriously. They rarely over-promise, and they will do what it takes to make things right when something goes wrong.

Cons

There are three main concerns to engineering org: First, there have been some growing pains and since my departure there is a new SVP, so there is uncertainty about whether they'll be able to keep the culture intact while keeping up engineering velocity up at the same time. I think the outlook is positive, but having moved on I can't say for certain firsthand. Second, with the "arms race" in salaries (and... other compensation) between large employers around here, it seems like Guidewire has opted out - at least for old timers who've built seniority on the job. The same could be said about "perks" and other benefits although my own philosophy on such things is that I'd rather have a higher salary and fewer frills. Lastly, for some people, insurance can be an inherently dull subject. Technical management mostly does a good job of trying to keep the focus on quality and process and for many people that's enough to keep things interesting -- there's a good division of work so that you can focus on what parts work for you, and you don't get say, sucked into the minutia of insurance specific business logic or financials if you're not so inclined. I have a much more limited sense of the company outside engineering these days, but as of a few years ago when I worked more closely with other divisions things were very mixed depending on which.

Advice to Management

Please catch up development salaries to market for existing employees (and new ones, if they're not already competitive.) Please work on better professional development opportunities for engineers and other technical employees.

Guidewire2014-12-10