Guild Education Reviews

Updated May 5, 2021

3.8
Guild Education Co-Founder  Rachel Carlson (no image)
Rachel Carlson
Pros
  • "This company is very mission driven and truly cares about their employees(in 12 reviews)

• "Senior leadership truly cares about employees as well as our customers (students, and the employers we work with)(in 11 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Guild is a fast growing company which comes with some growing pains(in 38 reviews)

• "Guild was just named the 23 fasted growing company in the county, that kind of incredible growth causes growing pains(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Awesome

Apr 25, 2021 - Temporary Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Awesomeness job to work at

Cons

Ok job to work at

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A really nice place to work

Feb 6, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

CEO and upper management seem to actually care both about our students as well as Guild's employees. Immediate management is supportive and understanding, which is pretty clutch during covid season. It seems like the business itself is finding a lot of success in the market. The engineering problems are interesting and we get a lot of autonomy to make decisions. It's a comfortable environment to learn new things. I enjoy the work, I like my team, I enjoy meetings where I get to hear about what the rest of the company is up to. It's just a really nice place to work.

Cons

Meh, there's not really anything I find especially concerning. We're making the leap between startup architecture and enterprise architecture, which is a big engineering challenge, but I've gotten to navigate these waters in a few companies, and I think Guild is doing a better job than most. But if you were feeling salty, you could complain about still having too much manual data entry for as many students as we support. And some teams seem like the sure could use a few more hires to keep up with their workloads.

6 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0

Strong mission - Growing Fast - Fast Paced

Apr 20, 2021 - Director in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are very few companies that can match Guild's rapid growth and mission focus. The company is getting a lot bigger, but key decision makers still make themselves accessible. Leadership is paying attention to growing pains and building systems even as the company scales quickly. This has been evident particularly in the last 3-6 months as discovery work turned into positive changes. Hard to match the emotional appeal of the work.

Cons

It's fast growth environment, so some change is to be expected. A certain level of tolerance is required for that.

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work and grow

Apr 21, 2021 - Senior Data Engineer in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work. I have a lot of autonomy to do my job while also having a nice cross functional team, makes it great to be here. Work life balance is awesome too.

Cons

Growing pains, in terms of deprecating old services and software. Also, trying to get best practices being implemented is challenging when moving from the scrappy start up to a mature environment.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company to work for

Jan 11, 2021 - Education Coach
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people here are amazing. Everyone that works here is truly compassionate and cares about our mission but also each other. Management is helpful and engaging with team members. The work life balance is a 10/10. When I go to work, I enjoy my job. I don’t feel like it’s just a job that I’m doing in an everyday routine. I enjoy my conversations with students and taking those next steps to help Individuals go back to school. The hours are flexible as long as you are getting your work done, great PTO benefit, great medical/healthcare benefits, monthly phone and wellness stipend, and engaging team check-ins. The main difference from guild and other companies I’ve worked for in the past are the people and management. Working with people who truly care, want to change for the better and improve as a company, are kind, and hardworking makes me love working here. It’s rare to find that in a company that is growing as fast as Guild’s.

Cons

Guild is a fast growing company which comes with some growing pains. Being able to adapt to change quickly and roll with the punches is something I’ve had to learn working here.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A company that actually lives its mission

Apr 12, 2021 - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

• Strong mission alignment • Smart, motivated employees • Truly impactful work that moves the needle • Fast-growing organization

Cons

Customer obsession means we sometimes work long hours or have to jump in quickly to be responsive to a customer's need. But the organization does a good job of allowing us to live our personal lives.

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 5.0

Fantastic Team and Mission - Heading in the Right Direction

Sep 20, 2020 - Partnerships in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

In short, I couldn't be happier about having a chance to work at Guild. Every company has areas to improve, and Guild is more open about where it's looking to get better over time, but if asked to pick where to be, Guild would be my choice. Why? A couple of reasons: -We're all looking something meaningful to work on, and Guild provides that. Tens of thousands of people are getting their education without any debt as a result of the work being done. -The team is enormously high quality across the organization, both those early in their career and management. People care about their work, are smart, and are driven. -The organization is showing its ability to be capable of growth. We want it to move as fast as possible and teams are motivated to get there, be it raising the bar on diversity hiring, transitioning to operate as a much larger organization and more.

Cons

Fast growth is difficult. Having worked at other companies that are rapidly growing, it's always hard to have everything figured out when the needs change as the company does. And so if you're motivated to part of that solution and like figuring things out, it's great. But Guild (or any fast growing company) isn't a good fit if you're looking for something where everything isn't dynamic.

4 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great mission, working on execution

Nov 11, 2020 - Partnerships in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

- important mission and impact - resources and great benefits - the people are some of the best and most competent in the industry

Cons

- leadership is white male heavy; not very inclusive - growing too rapidly to manage - lots of people feeling left behind in the rapid growth - no growth opportunities internally or internal hiring/promotion

3 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Guild's focused on doing good + doing well...even when hard

Sep 6, 2020 - Former Employee - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Seriously great outcomes on both mission and business model - unlike anything I've seen in other mission-driven companies. - A leadership team and employee base who truly care about the work - A career launching pad - whether you leave after a few years, or stay and grow

Cons

Many of Guild's employees are at the beginning of their career, and don't understand how hard it is to accomplish this type of success, while staying true to the mission. Guild has made mistakes, and they're working hard to improve, but their biggest mistake has been that they haven't fully level-set w employees what to expect in this type of growth. Employees are then highly critical and lack patience for the company to catch up on systems, processes, and other expectations of a later stage company. - Retention is really high relative to other growth companies. Maybe it's okay for a few of the frustrated employees to part ways and find a work environment that's less intense. Others of us have left for great career advancement, and that's great, but it needs to be said more clearly that no company is a great fit for everyone at every stage.

4 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Growing pains to be expected at this size.

Feb 1, 2021 - Education Coach in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Forward thinking company placing emphasis on employees and diversity. Your voice is heard and the focus of your work is much more than just profits.

Cons

Transitioning from a start up to a mid-size company has it's pains. Changes are often made with little warning and can stress employees out. Not a great fit if you don't handle frequent changes well.

2 people found this review helpful
    Viewing 1 - 10 of 119 Reviews

Popular Careers with Guild Education Job Seekers

Education Coach
    JobsSalariesInterviews
    Manager of Student Operations
    Learn About the Job
    Education Coach (Admissions Advisor)