Guitar Center Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Guitar Center CEO Darrell Webb
Darrell Webb

Pros
  • Great discounts on gear and free VST plugins through their worker's program (in 67 reviews)

• Great employee discount - this is the greatest PRO for this company (in 103 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimum wage job with an unobtainable commission structure (in 43 reviews)

• The upper management was oppressive (in 42 reviews)

1. "Guitar and Drums retail associate"

I have been working at Guitar Center part-time

Pros

Amazing discounts and environment. To musicians, you truly do get to sell the greatest feeling on earth.

Cons

the commission pay structure can really screw you over

Advice to Management

don't take as much sales

2. "Support Center Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, CA

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time

Pros

Culture, Co-Workers, Employee Discount. Westlake Village/Thousand Oaks is a beautiful place, surrounded by nature, outside of the hustle and bustle of LA/The Valley.

Cons

The pay can be more competitive than it is.

Advice to Management

Value your employees.

3. "Many good times at GC"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Guitar Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to be around music and good gear; a lot of like minded people. You get a good discount on lots of new (not used or vintage) gear, as well, making a lot of things very reasonably priced. It's up to you to make sales and figure out which guests are worth your time to talk to and see how to best help them find some gear. At our store, the sales guys truly did care about helping customers find the right gear, not the most expensive gear, which I know is not always the case at this chain.

Cons

Sales metrics are everything for the management. They don't see a lot of the day to day interactions, and there are too many things that require a manager to help you with. The managers are stretched really thin, I've waited on a manager to approve a transaction for over 15 minutes before, which really frustrates customers, obviously.

The store managers and corporate people care about selling GC insurance "pro coverage" and how many items are on a sales ticket more than they care about the actual dollars coming in.

If sales numbers got low, associates were sometimes blamed for not converting sales, instead of identifying that the specific store has a lack of foot traffic and markets mainly towards the beginner/'value' instruments.

Advice to Management

Hire competent managers who care about the employees more than the sales metrics.

5. "Nice place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allen Park, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allen Park, MI

I worked at Guitar Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clean , friendly, good commission

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

None

"Good Company with Lots of Change"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Guitar Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working at Guitar Center, and would not have a problem work there again. Overall as an employee, you'll be pushing to your 110% and working with several top industry professionals. Working here, you'll acquire a well rounded corporate experience that keeps you on your toes. The work environment is friendly with all around great benefits.

Cons

Most notable is that salaries are in the minimal to lower range for management, at capacity of work to be performed. Be prepared to take on more than is expected at all times -- while dealing with a high turn-over rate and consistent environmental change.

Advice to Management

No comments here. Management is exceptional and career driven.

7. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Guitar Center part-time

Pros

Fun Enviroment, Fast Paced, Non Desk Job

Cons

Not too great of pay

Advice to Management

Store management could be better

8. "Sales - Lead Sales Manager - Sales Lead"

Current Employee - Sales Lead Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Lead Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great discount, good vibe, great fulfilling music based culture. Positivity under the right leader.

Cons

Those who constantly say "I hate GC the pay is horrible!" are those who don't TRY. Learn to sell, be yourself, and you will succeed. I would say the only con is the need to know the sales process and gear... but if you are naturally interested in it there is no downside. When you are paid as a sales person, they are only going to pay you what you are worth. However, the pay could still be better. Selling 600,000 worth of gear in 2015 granted me a salary of 40k. Kind of a lopsided scale, but I feel rewarded in the discount, expetrience, and the feeding of my soul. What is important to you? Be happy at your job. Live long... don't die sooner than you have to because of a miserable life.

Advice to Management

Pay your management (lower teir) a tad more. I can't regret steeping out of sales commission to take a promotion. That just doesn't make sense!

9. "Good for piano teachers who don't want to look for students"

Former Employee - Keyboard Instructor
    Former Employee - Keyboard Instructor

I worked at Guitar Center part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Guitar Center handles all of the scheduling. All you have to do is give times that you are available and they will only schedule you lessons during that time. The pay is decent even though they get quite a cut because the students pay so much. There was a private room supplied with two electronic 88 key keyboards inside. Receive discounts in the same way sales floor employees do.

Cons

The scheduling can be random even though it's within the times you give. You may have a 2-3 hour gap between lessons where you just sit. You are not very in control of how many students you have compared to if you do it privately.

"Corporate with personality"

Current Employee - Director in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great coworkers and passionate musicians drive the daily vibe. Professional and experienced management team now bringing corporate disciplines to the company but still trying to keep the culture

Cons

Senior management still finding their way. Lack of diversity in senior ranks. Too many systems that cause inefficiencies. Big projects poorly implemented during critical times of the selling season

11. "Great place, very disorganized"

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time

Pros

Great place if you are a musicians. Amazing learning experience

Cons

Very disorganized. There are a lot of people comfortable in their positions not doing much work. Accountability is almost non-existent in several departments across the company

Advice to Management

Remove people who prevent the company from growing