Guitar Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Guitar Center CEO Ron Japinga
Ron Japinga

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Pay is disgustingly low (minimum wage) for workers with specialized skill set (in 46 reviews)

• Upper management is pretty counterproductive (in 44 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A fantastic decision"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My experience with GC has been fantastic -- smart, engaged, and driven teams; cool vibes; strong management; and a commitment to the community and our people.

Cons

No serious challenges you haven't encountered anywhere else in your career

Advice to Management

Keep communicating, continue to be authentic, and keep developing us

Guitar Center Response

May 4, 2017 – Vice President Human Resources

Thanks for the review and finding your sound with us!

2. "GC forgets their Retail Employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Guitar Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Connections, People, Discounts, Music, People.

Cons

Guitar Center stopped caring about Retail Associates

Advice to Management

Leadership Development and hyping up your Corporate environment is cute and all, but your retail employees NEED YOU BADLY. They are your bread and butter, they are your face, they are selling for you, they are working long hours for you they are subject to ALL negative media and it's reprocussions, they are your work horses. Stop hyping the Support Center on LinkedIn as a great place to work, and start talking about Retail and the front lines. Remember you are a Retail company. INVEST in your army. INVEST in your retail associates. They need you, and you are not supporting them. This includes the Ops Support and Services crew at the Support Center who have come from Retail. You start at Retail, and the rest will follow and that will drive Support Center potential employee outreach. When people see you care about the heart of your business which are your stores... then maybe Guitar Center can be an awesome place to work again.

3. "Great Place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Guitar Center (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Could find anything wrong there.

4. "You don't do it for the money"

Former Employee - Guitar Center Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Guitar Center Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Guitar Center (More than a year)

Pros

Gained product knowledge, Met representatives from music product companies, the discount, and the ability to play guitar when business was slow.

Cons

Poor management, pay was a joke, and employees were not treated with high regard.

Advice to Management

Pay employees better.

5. "Operations"

Former Employee - Operations in Hallandale Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Operations in Hallandale Beach, FL

I worked at Guitar Center (More than a year)

Pros

OUTSTANDING BOSS MATT HUDSON he is an outstanding boss. He wouldn't ask an employee to do anything that he wouldn't do himself. He sweeps, and mops the floors with bleach and because he would do so, the employees like myself would also do it. He would throw out the garbage and recycle the cardboard boxes and the employees will also do so because he is a leader.

Cons

Now-a Days warehouse associates not only need to unload the trucks and scan all the items, but also have to stock all the items on the floor for garbage $ so glad i'm not working there anymore.

Advice to Management

If management wants warehouse employees in the bigger and most profitable stores, they need to pay the warehouse employees more, a lot more. it's unacceptable how much the physical work and upper management has no clue how demanding this work is.

6. "I love it"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Salem, OR

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work if you love what you do. You get out of it what you put into it

Cons

Commission isn't great and co workers can suck at times

Advice to Management

none

7. "Lots of work, average pay"

I worked at Guitar Center full-time

Pros

Commission checks are good, if you can sell!

Cons

Long hours, heavy lifting, average base pay.

8. "Fun place to work"

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere to work in.

Cons

I dont have any cons.

Advice to Management

None

9. "You won't be happy."

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Guitar Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's literally none. I would say the discount. But the pay is nowhere near enough to get what you need.

Cons

management does not care about employees. They treat you like you're stupid. You're expected to make huge sales numbers, but yet don't get paid hardly anything in commission. The company is doing everything they can to take away from the sales people. We feel disrespected. The only ones who have it good are the unionized stores. But when that happened, they made sure we all signed papers stating we will lose our jobs if we try to strike or anything. They don't care about your personal life, they don't care how you feel, they care about Pro coverage, items per transaction and making you do ridiculous stuff like installing software on customers computers while they're extremely drunk, just so that you can make GC more money by making them happy. If you make a $5k sale, they will still reprimand you for not getting pro coverage. The training modules are a joke. Its like playing a children's game. The selection of gear in store is a joke too. Customers don't come in because they know better. Management is not professional at all. If the ops manager gets upset that one thing out of place, you'll walk into your register being barricaded by stuff (even when you had nothing to do with whatever they're upset about). No professionalism at all. I can honestly say our new store manager is trying to make a difference. He's a reasonable guy. Sadly, I feel like he's gonna end up with an ulcer like the last one from stressing about sales numbers because we all know the district manager and above won't be happy anyway. Guitar center is a sinking ship. I won't be surprised when they close the stores and make it an online store only. I can tell you I'm not the only one who feels this way. You're expected to do so much, and don't get compensated for it. At least give us commission that isn't insulting. When I go in and look at my sales, I literally think "ha. I made gc this much money. And I'm not gonna see anything". When I spoke to sales people at Verizon and told them about the commission policy, they were floored. Ps. I hope you like to stand for hours... but don't sit when your feet hurt, or you'll get blasted in an email to the store about how we don't sit on the sales floor. Because it doesn't matter if you're in pain.. Because THE STORE IS ONLY AT 10% ON PRO COVERAGE TODAY AND ITS THE END OF THE WORLD AHHHHH!!!!!

Advice to Management

Treat us like human beings. We are the ones making the sales for you. If we feel disrespected, we won't wanna go the extra mile to make the company money. Stop treating us like dirt under your shoe. Get good gear in the stores! Like mesa boogie, Avalon pre amps, bring back Dyne audio, focal. I used to shop at gc all the time throughout my life. It used to be great 10 years ago. Customers hate it, and so do I. And it's sad. Because it could be so much better if you just made it so. And stop going on power trips because you're above us. Take a seat.

10. "Dont do it...."

Current Employee - Call Center Worker in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Call Center Worker in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Guitar Center (Less than a year)

Pros

seriously cannot think of one.

Cons

changing schedule, treated like a thief, treated like a third grader, ridiculous metrics that don't mean a thing, and having to battle the discounts presented online they're not true at all. check manufacturers list for vendors

Advice to Management

admit to people you own musicians friend, Music 123, woodwinds and brass wind, and that you basically have the most legal monopoly happening in the United States. House if cards will fall though. be honest forthright and legitimize yourself. Little diversity up top might not hurt either.