Guitar Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Guitar Center Reviews

Updated May 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great discounts on gear and free VST plugins through their worker's program (in 70 reviews)

• Great employee discount - this is the greatest PRO for this company (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • It's essentially a slightly above minimum wage job (in 44 reviews)

• Upper management is pretty counterproductive (in 42 reviews)

1. "Sales/Operations"

Former Employee - Sales, Operations in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Sales, Operations in Mobile, AL

I worked at Guitar Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people if you understand musicians. Great place to network. You can always find work doing side jobs with customers who need help. Flexible hours.

Cons

Pay is not great, management can be hit or miss depending on where you are at. Hard to move up with company.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like they matter. Their is always high turnover, I guess musicians turned salesperson are a dime a dozen.

2. "My experience at GC"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Guitar Center part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, however the less you work the less you make

Cons

Commission structure is never in your favor

Advice to Management

Please help restructure commission

3. "Operations Manager"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Guitar Center (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working here was fun. I met lots of interesting people but also learned a lot about music gear. I would recommend this job to musicians because it is a great place to network for gigs.

Cons

There is very little room for raises, unless you move up in position. Not much money to be made but a fun place to work.

Advice to Management

My advice is that they pay the hard working managers more. The work load is more than what the company pays management positions to accomplish.

"God Awful Company"

Former Employee - Manager in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I worked at Guitar Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If your just a kid, it may seem like fun, and you can get gear cheap If you are looking for a serious job or career, not the place

Cons

They just take advantage of you at every turn, often deceiving you. Even Management is way under paid for what they do in general and in comparison to competition, Sam Ash for instance. A store mgr at Ash will start at &15K more than GC. Overworked and under paid is no way to go through life!

Advice to Management

Seek new employment.

6. "Customer Service Manager"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Danbury, CT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Danbury, CT

Pros

Great experience for young managers looking to enter sales training. The up tempo pace of the job makes work exciting.

Cons

Typical retail customer service issues. You can not let them pile up, otherwise you will stress yourself out.

Advice to Management

Stay focused, organized, and relaxed.

"Upper Management Isn't the Best"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent discounts.
    Fun environment.
    Benefits.
    Commissioned sales are very lucrative.

Cons

Consistently under staffed
    Store managers and below are underpaid and under appreciated.
    The company is trying to be run like someone would run a grocery store. Selling instruments is a little more involved than selling broccoli.
    I was offered a promotion from sales associate to sales lead (the lowest tier of manager). I had to turn down the job because I would have been making half of what I make as a sales associate. Sales associates have incentive, but low level management positions are under paid and over worked. Certainly doesn't help with moral.

Advice to Management

Stop cutting employee hours and paychecks in order to save money. Poor customer service has a direct effect on sales.

"Every store and department is different"

Former Employee - Sales Associate (Guitars) in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate (Guitars) in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Worked guitars/accessories part time at a busy flagship store in the LA area. Learned a lot about gear, made decent money for part time due to the store having a lot of wealthy clientele. Got to play with a lot of cool gear, and meet some cool people including some celebrities.

Cons

A lot of the systems in place at the company aren't designed to help employees or customers. Computer/inventory system is hard to learn, commission system doesn't reward good customer service, and warranty sales are a big part of your evaluation as an employee. If you work at a slower store or with unfriendly coworkers it can be hard to make good money.

Advice to Management

Focus on employee retention, growth, and development. While it may look profitable on paper to overwork your new employees while they are not on commission for the first 90 days, then cut their hours, it leads to high turnover and overall dissatisfaction. And chill out with the pro coverage pushing, it ruins a salespersons credibility in a lot of customers eyes.

"Corporate with personality"

Current Employee - Director in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great coworkers and passionate musicians drive the daily vibe. Professional and experienced management team now bringing corporate disciplines to the company but still trying to keep the culture

Cons

Senior management still finding their way. Lack of diversity in senior ranks. Too many systems that cause inefficiencies. Big projects poorly implemented during critical times of the selling season

"BEST DAYS ARE BEHIND"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, CA

I have been working at Guitar Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many passionate coworkers committed to hard work. Sense of satisfaction knowing you may be contributing to helping consumers make music.

Cons

Classic big box death spiral playing out in slow motion. Sales continue to slide making coworkers anxious and territorial. Moral is gloomy with occasional glimpses of naive optimism. So much Sr level management turnover (including CEOs) have resulted in little cultural memory; lessons learned years ago have been replaced my countless strategic and tactical missteps. Almost total brain drain of competent talent. A once great company with an authentic sense of purpose has been gutted. Avoid at all costs.

Advice to Management

Understand that the organization you've nurtured has rotted from within. Stop opening stores, rightsize the company, cut the dead wood.

"The epitome of big-box retail"

Former Employee - Corporate-level Employee in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate-level Employee in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

Pros

I met some great people there and learned a lot about what not to do in this industry. Other than that, I can't think of any other pros.

Cons

Guitar Center is a Company that completely lost its culture and simply no longer cares about its employees. I worked at Guitar Center for 15 years and it really was a great company for the first 6-8 years I was there. From 2010 - present, most of the things you have read about this company are absolutely true. I held a corporate-level position for the last few years of my sentence and it was very intriguing to get an inside glimpse of the tomfoolery that takes place there. The Top 4 Executives of the Company are from Target, Lowe's, Best Buy and a small Grocery Store chain. You can imagine how "music-oriented" the business plan is. It's a retailer, that's it. And, it's a very low-paying retailer at that. Stores are Unionizing, labor is consistently being cut (because, it's their largest "controllable" expense), the manager's bonus program is made more and more difficult to achieve, top line sales are WAY OFF, a series of layoffs happen annually (including 2 different waves in 2015 which included many of the founders of the company and some of my closest friends), and it's completely lost its way. Store Managers start off making $37k a year, which is 1995 money, Operations managers are lucky to make $30k a year, and you can anticipate $9/hour for a while if you are looking to join the team. The mantra of the company should be, "Either you, or your replacement, will get us what we're looking for." It's command and control. They want people who will shut up, keep their head down and "run the play". Miserable work environment, which is why I left on my own terms.

Advice to Management

Get off your high horse, stop worrying about if you're going to lose your job or not, and realize that you have lost some of the best people in the MI Industry over the last few years. You can sustain with top line sales off for a few years, but the EBITDA will run dry at some point and the next step in labor reduction will be self-serve kiosks.