Gulf Coast Events Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Campaign Manager"

Pros

Huge learning experience
    Get to know the city
    Merit based growth

Cons

Long hours
    Must work hard to see results for your work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I love how much you invest in all of your employees.

"Campaign Manager"

I worked at Gulf Coast Events full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I learned some good sales strategy. There was a good teacher in there that helped me. He always answered my calls and made sure I was doing the right thing. Learned how to push myself, when I was tired.

Cons

I noticed that no one ever gets to EXECUTIVE Manager. I asked some people and only heard that 1 girl has been promoted, but then lost her job after a few months. It seems more sales based, then Marketing like the online ad stated.

Advice to Management

Try and promote more people to executive management, so that new people will see your success and that people have actually gotten the position. If no one has made it successfully to the position after 6-8 months, then why believe that a new person could.

"Great Experience"

I worked at Gulf Coast Events full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is not a normal job. It's definitely something for people who are invested in their future though. It is a unique business where, unlike a lot of big companies, the goal is for everyone to win. The biggest pros for me were the people you meet, the time and attention your boss spends mentoring you (totally not what I experienced in other jobs), the ability to network with A TON of resources for free, and the personal growth I saw in myself. The office was really close too. We had team nights outside of work and everyone was genuinely looking out for each other. It seemed strange at first but now I wonder why more firms don't foster the same type of atmosphere! I couldn't stay because I had to move elsewhere for family obligations but the development I made in my work ethic, multi-tasking, ability to handle several responsibilities, and interpersonal skills has made me a huge asset for the company I now work for!

Cons

You get paid for your work, not your time. If you see that as a con then you definitely aren't the right fit.

Advice to Management

Thank you for spending so much time with me. I felt that I was constantly asking for more and more time to get farther in my career goals but it never bothered you to sit down and have dinner with me and talk about work.

"Hard Work"

Former Employee - Campaign Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Gulf Coast Events (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Gulf Coast Events was very rewarding. The harder you work and more time you put into working there, the more you will get from the position. There is so much to learn from marketing, to business, and how to train others. I can't stress enough how much working hard matters at this company. Everyone that is there has a strong work ethic and does not expect anything for free. The opportunity they talk about is there and it is attainable for any person with any previous skill set.

Cons

Long hours, low pay. The pay is low, but only if you aren't working hard enough. Its not rocket science. The people that failed only did so because they weren't willing to put in the effort. The hours however are long. Not only do you have to worry about yourself, but you also need to spend time with the people that you are mentoring.

Advice to Management

Ignore the people that wanted all the benefits with none of the work that post bad reviews. They are dumb.

Keep caring for people and investing time and energy into those that are willing to give what is needed for success.

I don't regret for a second my time at Gulf Coast Events.

"So glad I got out of this company"

I worked at Gulf Coast Events full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Enthusiastic people who really care about the company. The office decor is also really modern and cute.

Cons

This company is a pyramid scheme. DO NOT FALL INTO IT. I was offered a job with Gulf Coast and took it only to discover I was being used and manipulated in a web of lies. They tell you exactly what you want to hear. Promises of advancement, a great salary, and the freedom for you to decide what you want to do with the company. This is all false. They basically want you to be a wage slave and expect you to put all your time into this company even though you may or may not be compensated for everything. Even on my first day the receptionist was on the phone setting up more interviews raising a giant red flag by how quick the turnover rate is. They want you to do all of the work with very little rewards.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to people. Clearly this company was built on a bed of lies and you might have more success if you were up front in the beginning.

"Take it from me"

I worked at Gulf Coast Events full-time

Pros

You get to drive all over Houston and surround areas, so you will become very familiar with Houston, if not already.

Cons

Everything they tell you is an exaggeration far from the truth. From the false promises of making six figures a year to the whole work hard now and benefit later. They promise so much opportunity, if you just put in the hours then you will succeed. FALSE. You will only end up working yourself into debt. Take it from someone who was with the company for almost a year. I was naïve and feel victim to the whole you have to work hard to get what you want motto. I was lead to believe that working 12-14 hours a day was the only way to succeed and move up and that anything less, you were not taking the job serious or not cut out for the job. Don't let them brainwash you into thinking this. THIS IS NOT NORMAL and YOU WILL NOT BENEIFT FROM IT. I am a very hard worker and am happy to have gotten out and found a job where I am actually paid and rewarded for the hours I work. I am PAID NOW and will still get the benefits later. As others have said you will work long extensive days. You are required to go into the office in the morning, then drive out into the filed (which could be 30-60 miles away, and then you have to break down your day or participate in one-on-ones. Basically you will have no life. And they do this to so that you are only thinking of the company and to eventually break you down. I like many of my former colleagues went into massive debt because of this job. Some days I was paying more in gas and other traveling expenses than I made that day. But I kept going because I wanted to own my own office. It was later that I found out that you don't have full ownership of an office. You're working yourself to death for the opportunity to "open up and office", but in no way do you have ownership of this office. You will get to manage the office, but you will never own it. And you will not be making 6 figures a year, you will be lucky if you make enough to cover all your bills. Most of these offices that are opened up, don't even stay open for very long. They want you to believe you will become successful and can make millions. But the realty is, you get to manage an office that is governed by another company and you're left struggling to maintain employees. Take a look around you. You can see the turn over rate, it doesn't take a genius to figure this out. Unfortunately it took me a little longer than most to figure it out. I am really embarrassed that I let my greed blind my intelligence. I am only writing this in hopes of helping someone else out, before they go into debt. Do you really want to spend your life managing employees who sale products inside grocery stores?

Advice to Management

You are heartless and I have no advise to you, after all you have to try and stay in business somehow and the only way you know how to do so, is to lie (like you were taught to do). Some day, many years from now, I hope you look back on this whole experience and regret the choices you mad.

"Thankful to have found!"

Current Employee - Campaign Manager
    Current Employee - Campaign Manager

I have been working at Gulf Coast Events full-time

Pros

Before starting Gulf Coast Events I used to work in the restaurant business to make the money to cover the bills. After working tip money jobs and realizing that it would take me no where, finding this company that offers exponential growth to anyone that works hard and is goal driven was the most amazing opportunity I could have stubbled upon. There are two sides of the business. Marketing and promotions inside of fortune 500 retailers and the other side which is gaining the knowledge and experience of management. Its not far fetched to have a company that offers growth to people that are willing to put in the extra time and effort. Hard work equals reward and I've seen it happen not just in myself and the skill set I've developed, but also in others that I have personally seen promoted within the company.

They teach from the ground up. No experience in marketing, sales, or events required. Everything merit based!

Cons

Weekends involved. Associates that are serious about wanting more for themselves and future will work a little extra outside the office on the own time (if wanted!)

"Great company!"

Current Employee - N/A in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - N/A in Houston, TX

I have been working at Gulf Coast Events (Less than a year)

Pros

Great for someone who appreciates hard work, this company will teach you how to succeed in life mentally and financially. A reliable company for even someone new to Houston. This company will take you under their wing and teach you the ropes in and out of the office. They make you feel welcomed and comfortable along side of pushing you to succeed and better yourself.

Cons

Not for someone who is slow paced and not ambitious

"Worst Mistake Of My Life!!!!"

Pros

This job will teach you about self respect. It will teach you to respect yourself more than to stand in a grocery store trying to make a sale. Also you will meet some pretty cool people.

Cons

First off they make you feel special for making it through 3 rounds of interviews saying that they "get 300 applications a day" and tell you that you got pushed through because you are special. In all actuality they will hire almost anybody to keep their office full. The turnover rate is amazing. You're required to go to meetings every morning even if it is your "day off" where they go over the same stuff over and over again to pump you up for the day and try to keep your doubt's about the company at a minimum. You never own your own office, rather just get to name it and take the responsibility of it in case it goes downhill) . They like to go over their salary with you, and the salary of the people above them in the company and compare it to people in "corporate America" trying to get us to look down on the 9-5 jobs. They tell you that you'll be making thousands if not millions of dollars in the company if you just push through your time in the field and live, eat, and breathe the company. Another huge thing that bothered me was the fact that I answered an ad for a marketing account manager and I thought that is what I would be doing. Little did I know that not only do they post over 20 different ads on career websites all advertising different job titles (public relations assistant, sales associate, retail specialist, marketing manager, etc) all the ads are for the same entry level job. That job is NOT anything the ad title says and they don't tell you what it is in the description. The job itself is "promoting" products in stores such as Sam's Club, Kroger, and Costco. I say "promoting" because in reality they are selling the products. They taught us that you can't say the word "sale" even though a portion of the daily mandatory meetings are dedicated to teaching how to con people into buying a product. You don't move up unless you sell a certain amount of stuff, and they tell you to stay until you reach your sales goal. Its frowned upon if you actually leave at your scheduled time to leave if you haven't sold at least $800 worth of product that day. They say they are promoters, not sales people, but in the meetings a portion of it is dedicated to learning how to hand a product to somebody so that they feel obligated to take it, its required to get 2 no's from somebody before you leave them alone, you go over rebuttals that people give you for not wanting a product, and you're taught what words you can and cannot say in order to try to get something to buy the product. You're expected to dedicate your life to the company and be okay with working yourself to the bone for little to no pay. They also told me in my interview that travel was limited and optional. False. If you want to move up you have to be okay with working at different offices around the state with little to no notice. They don't pay you to set up your booth in the store which is not only back breaking work, but takes hours. You don't know your schedule until either the day of or the day before, and you could be working a booth in a store that is in a town an hour away that week but they won't even tell you until its time for you to go and set up a booth. They'll put you in stores that aren't safe alone and don't care if you tell them you feel unsafe. You get no compensation for gas and if you do it doesn't even begin to cover what you spend. You're also required to set up one on one meetings with your superiors (most of them have been in the company for less then a year because of the turnover rate) that can include dinner that you have to pay for. You're discouraged from talking to people the same level as you, and from talking about the company to your family and friends. They tell you that they won't understand the company or the lifestyle, but in the end you'll make millions. More like you'll make minimum wage plus 18% of everything you sell unless you're at the booth with somebody else in which case the entire days profit gets split between the two of you making 9% a piece even if you are the one who sold everything. This is not including the networking calls, 3-4 tines a week conference calls, one on ones, set ups, and mandatory before meeting breakfasts. You don't get paid for any of that. They take unsuspecting young adults into their "impact room" and feed them a bunch of promises that make the job look glamorous and only a few people are smart enough to see the job for what it is. DO NOT WORK HERE UNLESS YOU WANT NO PERSONAL LIFE AND LITTLE INCOME. They talk about making loads of money but live in shady apartment, drive beat up cars, and wears the same outfit all the time. Doesn't sound like somebody making truck loads of money. If you are one of the few who ends up with their own office, is this how you want to treat people?

Advice to Management

Be honest, stop lying to your team. It's not fair to treat people this way, how do you sleep at night?

"Very dissatisfied"

Pros

The only pro I can seem to think of when I think about my experience with this company is the handful of awesome employees. This would be a great job for a single, motivated person who doesn't mind spending nearly every second of their life at work.

Cons

Where do I even begin? Extensive hours with little, if any compensation, absolutely no time with family or anything other than work, really, unprofessional environment and very disrespectful management.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with the respect they deserve and be generous with compensation. Also, keep in mind that your employees have families that would appreciate a little time with them; don't make their whole life revolve around work.

Gulf Coast Events Response

Jan 15, 2016 – Director

We appreciate your feedback about our company. We aim to provide a positive work environment that allows for professional growth for all our team members. We offer a variety of positions and... More