Gulf States Toyota Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Marty Collins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Mgr"

Pros

Culture for excellence is strong.

Cons

There are no cons to write.

Advice to Management

None

Jan 3, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking time to provide us with your feedback.

2. "Good for start"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Gulf States Toyota (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working in new technologies

Cons

Micromanagement in full spectrum

Advice to Management

Need to evaluate the middle management and get other opinions

3. "Terrible company for growth opportunites"

I worked at Gulf States Toyota full-time

Pros

Company pays similar to oil and gas..Good pay.. great perks

Cons

Company is not diverse with employees and they continue to promote the same people. They don't follow company policies and let people go all the time. Make sure you stay on their good side and never voice your opinion.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites all the time. Be fair to all

4. "Not for the motivated"

Former Employee - Shop Floor Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Shop Floor Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Gulf States Toyota full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are looking for a place to just show up and do what you are told without question everyday then this may be an option for you. For the degree of difficulty, the benefits are good if you don't mind working 11 hours a day on salary.

Cons

Extremely high turnover in the shop floor manager position. Part of the issue stems from hiring the wrong people for the job. Long tenured upper management that has little experience outside of GST arrogantly believes the work they do at the Vehicle Processing Center to be much more difficult than it it. Particularly when than have Sr. management that will not allow the SFM's to think for themselves. They continue to higher overqualified people, who quickly become bored and frustrated with the lack of autonomy and control they have to implement change and associate engagement. They either quit or are fired due to conflict with their managers, whom they are often more experienced and qualified than. I knew I had made a mistake when on my first day a Sr. manager told me to sit back and watch because "this place ran before I got there, and wouldn't miss a beat after I was gone". That arrogance leads to their continually making the same mistakes. The high turnover negatively impacts the hourly associates the most due to a lack of continuity in leadership.

Advice to Management

If the ops structure is not to change, then revamp the SFM role and make it what it is. A Frontline supervisor role best filled by a person with 2-3 years of supervisory experience. That level of experience will be much more engaged in career development than the people with 10-20 years that keep leaving because they are not motivated by work beneath their resumes. That salaried position should receive over time as well due to the lack of flexibility afforded.

Dec 8, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We believe every associate should have a voice, and will take your comments into consideration moving forward. We thank you for the time you spent with our... More

"Leadership Challenged"

I have been working at Gulf States Toyota full-time

Pros

Great Benefits, Medical, Dental, Vacation, 401K, Bonus, Competitive Pay, Education assistance.

Cons

In Vehicle Distribution, lots of hours, Saturday work, Poor quality of life, Production is priority. High turnover in floor management, intimidating HR.

Advice to Management

Executives need to ask themselves why; the high turnover in management, poor outbound quality, poor associate moral, non approachable and intimidating HR, poor execution of company values. Need to stop rationalizing why supervisors/managers are leaving and address the real issue with the local executive management and HR.

Nov 21, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate your feedback. We will take your comments into consideration moving forward as we continue to make improvements to our associate... More

6. "Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Gulf States Toyota full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

The management is no good. Bad communication to the employees not treated as equals. Don't treat there employees with the care or respect that they should have. Does not recognize hard workers at all.

7. "A good place to grow."

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Sealy, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Sealy, TX

I have been working at Gulf States Toyota full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good company to grow with.
    Family-oriented culture
    Associates are highly valued

Cons

The work schedule affects work/life balance negatively

"Hoping to help someone"

I have been working at Gulf States Toyota full-time

Pros

There's not many pros lately

Cons

Let me start off by saying this company didn’t use to be this way. The past 5 years have been hard on lot of us. We come to work and work very hard. Lately it’s been all for nothing. I have work for this company for many years and every day is a struggle. There are people who would say just to leave but when you have work and dedicate your life to a company it’s not that easy to just pick up and move on. I hope I can help someone who thinks this is a good place to work because it’s not. I have been struggling with if I should write a review or not. Where do I start. First there is no work life balance here unless you are upper management. We work long hours and don’t see our family much. On our off days we are tired from working. Then there’s the reason why I am writing this review. No room for growth. There are Shop Floor Manager, SR.. Manager , Engineering and even HR position opens but the upper managers will hire an outsider and tell us the employees that we don’t have the skills to be promoted. Which is so unfair because we know the business but they will rather hire an outsider that they will have to train and teach the business instead of training us who already know the business. The sad and hurtful thing is we can’t go to HR to stress our opinions about this because they do the same. They hired outsiders as well. One guy left after they hired a manager who don’t have a clue on what he is doing. He doesn’t help you, you never see him and he is never there. Then the lady that’s always welling to help, don’t make you feel as if she is better than then you and always there. They didn’t promote her either, they hired this other lady over her now. So tell me who can we go to when HR treats there valuable worker like she doesn’t matter. Then you can’t go to the upper management because they think they are better than us. As long as they are making there 6 figures then we don’t matter. Even the Shop Floor Manager gets passed up for promotions. There is a great manager who been working for over 15 years with the company but they didn’t promote him to a sr. manager position. Which have us wondering if we working hard for nothing. Also if the Friedkin family are aware how their so call valuable employees are being treated. We have no one to help us here. We have no place to move up to. We just at a dead in job. It breaks my spirit because I don't want to leave a company that I have been dedicated to for years but I don't think I have a choice now.

Advice to Management

Stop treating the workers like second class citizens. Help us to better ourselves . Stop working us like slaves.

9. "Proud to be with Gulf States Toyota"

Pros

Gulf States Toyota is, hands down, the best company I've ever been a part of. The people are top notch, the culture is strong, and the work is rewarding. The facilities are out of this world and meticulously maintained. There is a continuous focus on developing people and tons of resources and support toward that end. I'm proud each day when I walk into work to have the opportunity to be a part of Gulf States Toyota.

Cons

As one reviewer noted, it is a relatively flat organization, which can leave some with the feeling that it's difficult to move up. In my experience, if you work hard and show your value, you are rewarded.

""No Respect""

Former Employee - Installation Technician in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Installation Technician in Houston, TX

I worked at Gulf States Toyota full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch maybe, flu shot

Cons

I received no respect from this company. They are very political, and only like you if you only OBEY them. There is no advancement there, even if you have experience or the education, they already picked who they wanted. Some do not have any education.

Advice to Management

Have respect for your workers. Stop with your games and lies to employees. Listen to your employees!!