Gulfstream Aircraft Tech II Reviews | Glassdoor

Gulfstream President Larry Flynn
Larry Flynn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The good ole boy network is alive and well here (in 27 reviews)

• Terrible work-Life balance during closing (in 19 reviews)

1. "A great company with amazing products"

Former Employee - Aircraft Tech II in Westfield, MA
    Former Employee - Aircraft Tech II in Westfield, MA

I worked at Gulfstream full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tools and equipment were always available and in good condition.
    Facilities were kept in great shape by a cleaning staff.
    Supervisors communicate well with their employees.

Cons

Overtime was usually offered to more tenured employees.
    First line supervisors were not given effective training in leadership and management.

Advice to Management

Invest more in the personal and professional development of first-line supervisors.

"The Real Gulfstream"

Former Employee - Aircraft Tech II in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Aircraft Tech II in Dallas, TX

I worked at Gulfstream full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits are OK, they used to be better. Company matching in 401k has increased, but so has the cost of insurance. Pay is good, compared to direct competitors, but just OK compared to aviation as a whole. The "4/10" work schedule was nice, and vacation time is good.

Cons

If you are going to work for Gulfstream, as a "Technician", be prepared to throw the maintenance manuals and everything you ever learned about, "doing it right", out the window. The majority of people use "Tribal Knowledge", because the majority of the manuals are incorrect or incomplete. Also, DO NOT question how things are done or you will be branded a trouble maker. Lack of tools, support equipment, and parts. There is no standardization of how maintenance is performed from site to site, let alone from one side of the runway to the other. Contrary to what management will say, there is definitely a "Good 'Ol Boy" system in place. The companies priorities are budget and schedule and they don't want anything to affect those. Do not look too closely during inspections, management doesn't want anyone to find discrepancies with the aircraft, because that will affect budget and schedule. As long as you can suck up, not question anything, and do whatever management says, then you will do fine. If you are safety minded and a free thinker, then this is not the company for you.

Advice to Management

Stop with the double standards and treat all the employees the same and with respect. Don't come out to the floor preaching safety and doing it by the book, then ostracize someone for pointing out deficiencies in practices and policies.

3. "Aircraft Technician II - Service Center"

Former Employee - Aircraft Tech II - Service Center in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Aircraft Tech II - Service Center in Savannah, GA

I worked at Gulfstream full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work to life ratio, very laid back, tooling readily available, cafeteria and cafes open almost all day and night. Great people. If the cons that I listed below would be changed, this would have been the best job I ever had. I actually still think it was, but read on...

Cons

-NO OVERTIME - not in the backshops, not in the hangar, so don't expect a drop of it, if you can't live off of a 40, do not come here. Or at least be prepared to work a second job. I did have a friend that worked production side and she got overtime, so if you can handle production and need the o/t, go there. Not the service center.

-one of the lowest paying contracts in the industry.

-Don't go in as a contractor expecting to go direct any time soon - Contract agencies lie(as we all know) and will tell you 3-6 months. It has to do with their "budget". I have 10 years experience with an A&P and everyone in the shop (including the manager and lead) liked me and thought I did a great job, but wouldn't be able to bring me on till AT LEAST a year after my start date due to their budget. There were guys in the backshops that had been there as contractors for 2+ years, without even being offered a direct position. Same with the floor. Also as a contractor, you were treated as somewhat of an outcast or pariah of sorts - as if you didn't know enough because you hadn't been there long enough, when half of the guys I worked with had never done an oil change or skin repair before.

-good ole boy system still in place. People that have lived there their whole lives(and there were quite a few of them) got the better jobs and all around favoritism.

-If you have to miss a couple hours, good luck getting the chance to make them up to get your 40. These people for some reason don't like letting people do that, even if it is a couple hours here or there. Almost like pulling teeth to get an answer out of them about anything. And for the record, I did not abuse this and it was not habitual. I think in the 6 months I was there I had to make up a total of 4 hours.

Advice to Management

Pull your heads out of the sand. Realize when you have talent in front of you, and drop the pieces of crap that don't deserve to be there. Maybe then you could make room in your "budget" to bring people on direct who are worth it. Work with your contractors more, remember they're people, with lives and families also.

4. "Good company, steady employment."

Current Employee - Aircraft Tech II in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Aircraft Tech II in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Gulfstream full-time

Pros

Great pay for non-union. Many opportunities for advancement if you know how to network. Safety and quality come first. You might see a bit of attitude but you will never get in trouble for following repair station policies and maintenance manuals.

Cons

The inspections are boring. Sometimes it is hard to get motivated to do the same jobs iver and over. Because of strict background checks, they hesitate to get rid of individuals who drag down the crew because it is too hard to fill an open spot.

Advice to Management

Do not hold employees back for selfish reasons.

5. "Contracted Aircraft Tech II"

Former Contractor - Aircraft Tech II in Savannah, GA
    Former Contractor - Aircraft Tech II in Savannah, GA

I worked at Gulfstream as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

A paycheck is the only pro.. But as a contractor don't count on it.

Cons

As a contractor you are treated like crap, most unprofessional layoff I have ever had.. Went home after work. Was home for a hour and got a call "Gulfstream ended your contract " team lead level had a clue. No one came to say anything. Just a out of the blue phone call.. Called to ask what happened. No a performance issue, nothing. Just crap call. No prior word at all.
    The mechanics with a blue badge think they are so great. Sit on their Ipads all day. They talk a big game but really spend most of their day looking busy at best or hiding. Customers pay more in paperwork then aircraft repair. They would save millions taking it anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Treat contractors like people. Hold mechanics to the standard you preach.understand safety is important but not something you should let lazy employees hide behind. Doing nothing is very safe.... The goal should be safe WORK. Get someone other than internal employees to watch and grade your teams. I think most people would not be impressed. You have made a work environment where people go but turn off their brains for 8 hours and go home. I am sure you have some good people, but most don't really have common aviation skills. They just put foam on stuff well. On the flip side scooby a and interiors seems to do most off the work and where always busy. They really where busy not just bullshitting.. With aviation standard, iso9001 compliance you have to make processes common for one team to the another yes. You need to make them short and sweet. Easy to do so that's not all people are doing. You have many people doing the process to work and never the process of work.

6. "aircraft tech make sure all paint is good on aircraft before leaving"

Current Contractor - Aircraft Tech II in Savanna Place, GA
    Current Contractor - Aircraft Tech II in Savanna Place, GA

I have been working at Gulfstream as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

great work place good people not so hard labor

Cons

different hours can change and work may slow down from time to time

Advice to Management

keep up the great work

"Not all its cracked up to be"

Current Employee - Aircraft Tech II in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Gulfstream full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gives you a paycheck everyweek

Cons

Micro managed to the highest degree.
    Poor Communication between employees and managers
    Exploitative tactics used on contract employees such as refusing to make them permanent employees unless they work insane and awkward shifts and hours.
    Absolutely no room for advancement...Good ole boy system at its finest.
    Poor and pathetic company culture.

Advice to Management

Nuke the place and start from scratch. Morale is at an all time low and we need some help and reassurance.

"Good Place To Work AND Learn"

Current Employee - Aircraft Tech II in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Gulfstream full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Product line
    Well kept facilities/Climate controlled facilities
    Good Pay For The Area
    Advancement is there for those willing to put the time in
    Culturally diverse workplace
    Great benefits package

Cons

Traffic of surrounding roads
    Better screening of incoming personnel to determine job abilit
    Better communication among STMS,Leads, and Technicians
    LISTEN to the technicians when they have a suggestion.
    Good ole' boy system still in play
    Hold EVERYONE accountable for their actions, new hire to senior hire.

Advice to Management

Listen to the techs working the planes, don't just nod your head and pretend. Most of the techs are of a new generation with technology upper management doesn't want to work with. There are alot of procedures and processes that can be streamlined, making the workplace more efficient.

"Its an ok place to work if your a robot"

Former Employee - Aircraft Tech II in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Aircraft Tech II in Savannah, GA

I worked at Gulfstream full-time (More than a year)

Pros

decent pay for middle income, decent work area, good experience and not to bad of a job

Cons

Management sucks its all about the pie chart, bar graph and the customer. You better be a robot to work here and dont talk to your coworkers because they will stab you in the back.

Advice to Management

Grow up and grow a pair, be firm on your employees but dont be an ass

"Stay away from Flight Test - Horrible Experience cannot wait to leave"

Current Employee - Aircraft Tech II in Savannah, GA

Pros

Cannot really think off many. Some of the permanent employees seem to care about you and are easy to work with and friendly.

Cons

Do not be fooled by this company. Especially if you are a contractor like I am. The pay is horrible I can barely make ends meet. The Savannah area is very expensive to live in. Treatment by management is horrific you are told from day one that you are expendable and that you have no future at Gulfstream. Some of the people you work with see you as a threat and treat you that way. They show you nothing and go out of their way to make your time there miserable. You are swapped from shift to shift at the drop of a hat with little or no notice. You are under the constant threat of being "walked out the front gate" as they like to say, which means fired. The contract houses and Gulfstream are in bed with each other. They tell you what you want to hear in this bad economy to get you in the door and once they do you are on your own. Unfortunately Gulfstream is the largest employer in the Savannah area and they can get away with just about anything. Safety and quality are preached by everyone and followed by nobody. FOD can be found everywhere on the hangar floor and in the aircraft being worked on. This place is a mess stay away. Very sad how they treat people. I cold go on and on but these are some of the main points.

Advice to Management

Get a clue as to what you have going on around you. Please by all means quit before you bring the company down.