Gulfstream Reviews | Glassdoor

Gulfstream President Larry Flynn
Larry Flynn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • This company is the definition of the good ole boy network with a very clear glass ceiling for women and minorities (in 28 reviews)

• Terrible work-Life balance during closing (in 19 reviews)

"Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Gulfstream full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people and pay. Pto and benefits

Cons

Horrible senior leadership. Its run like a work camp. Constant belittling and passive aggressive behavior from director.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage people not just the product.

"Aviation Maintenance Technician"

Current Employee - Aviation Maintenance Technician in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Aviation Maintenance Technician in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Gulfstream full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Semi good job stability but lacks the payment or salary potential of most other companies. It's an okay place to work for.

Cons

Lack of sick time, lack of upward potential growth, lack of strong leadership

Advice to Management

Promote and pay your people what they're worth

"Disfunctional"

I have been working at Gulfstream full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool product. Holiday shut down.

Cons

old-school aerospace culture and all that goes with it. Terrible health insurance plan.

Advice to Management

Step into the present. You will not attract many millennials with the current culture.

"Mission stays quo"

Former Employee - Support Equipment and Tooling Specialist in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Support Equipment and Tooling Specialist in Savannah, GA

I worked at Gulfstream full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Salary and decent benefits. Given the area, it is the best option for salary. It's really cool aircraft with cutting edge technology

Cons

Old school leadership and lack of diverse leadership. Speaking out and/or against is never advised! Borderline ethics. Subpar culture and the company does not invest into the internal growth of its employees. You have to leave Gulfstream in order to get promoted at Gulfstream.

Advice to Management

Embrace change and listen to the workforce. Diversify the people and offerings so that the company stays competitive.

"Strange Atmosphere"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Savannah, GA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Savannah, GA

I worked at Gulfstream as a contractor

Pros

Pays fairly well, nice gift shop

Cons

Technically, they seem to build good planes (for the price, one would hope so!). But in social terms within the IT group, it's the most parochial, in-bred place I've ever worked. If you're not a "local", then you're suspect. I was there almost every weekday for 8 months, and not once during this time did anyone ever invite me to
    lunch. I may not be the most outgoing person, but I am friendly and not lacking in social skills. At several other workplaces in my experience, I've always made friends quickly, and have enjoyed social outings with a variety of people types. But I'm also fine with getting along on my own, so while annoying, this was not a huge deal to me. I just got on with my work. But it was still very strange and odd to work in an atmosphere where from "day one" I was either ignored or else treated like an unwelcome stranger, and to my amazement this never really changed.

"Great Idea. Great Foundation. Bad infrastructure"

Current Employee - Senior Avionics Installer in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Avionics Installer in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Gulfstream full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is great for the area. Outside of pay there isn't much to the company on the employee scale.

Cons

Benefits aren't what they use to be.
    Overtime is treated as a reward and in some cases mandatory.
    No work life balance and trying to have one gets frowned upon
    Don't be intelligent or creative or question bad procedure. It gets you no rewards.
    Moving up is based on brownie points not skill or desire to move forward with your career.
     Don't expect to transfer to a better job if you prove your capable of handling a different task.
     You're a number, that is all.
    This company bleeds all the good mid-level management. They run as soon as they see how unorganized everything is.
    Job is highly highly highly repetitive, expect a mundane work schedule with the same exact process over and over again. (some people prefer this I understand)
    Engineering is disconnected from production flow. Bad decisions in production isn't fixed. Instead of finding root of problems patch jobs are done to keep a process moving.
    The whole company reeks of the good ol'boy mentality. It's the most vibrant part of this company.
    Management is great at putting line level employees down. Little is done to stifle discern among coworkers and the environment is very misogynistic. Team banter borders on an HR ethics nightmare. Have seen 4 fights from people taking arguments too far. Environment is not supportive, is very much a dog eat dog culture.

Advice to Management

Shuffle the individual roles of the production employees. Let them learn other sectors of the business.
    Help people move into a position they desire based not on physical work but on competency. Don't ask for more than an individual is willing to give.
    Be involved with lower level employees and don't hold information back from employees. Build up a team environment by actually looking for the people who want to make a difference. Too many people go the extra mile with tasks to make themselves look good but they can't actually make a difference. The people who want to move forward are held back.

7. "Final phase furniture shop"

Current Contractor - Furniture Builder in Savannah, GA
    Current Contractor - Furniture Builder in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Gulfstream as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent/good for the area. Most hourly employees that I've met are really good down to earth people.

Cons

Management seems to be ubiquitous. Micromanaging at its finest. Way to many middle managers. Engineering and production are operating at completely different frequencies. Overtime is a coin toss. Management will spend a dollar to save a dime. Good ol boy system is very apparent. Engineering has a great deal of lag between problem and solution. Talking with other contractors from other areas of the country, the pay seems to be somewhat below industry standard.

Advice to Management

Speak to and treat hourly employees as people and valued commodities of the company instead of just workers.

"Sorry if you are still there. Not a good experience. Gulfstream does not care about you."

Former Employee - Engineer in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Savannah, GA

I worked at Gulfstream full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay for Savannah if you want to sweat all the time

Cons

Good ole boy management. Backwards mentality. No perks - just a paycheck. Most people are miserable. HR will screw you over so don't complain. Not progressive. Management is old school...work you to death and suck up to corporate. Sexual favotitism is prevalent. Management dates assistants (including svps) and affairs, divorce and favoritism is widespread. Sometimes smart people succeed but you will feel alienated by the favoritism you witness.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the old school...90 percent of management. Clean house. I think Gulfstream is almost done. And I'm glad. What a miserable place. Not forward thinking.

"Avoid product support"

Former Employee - Mastercafts Person in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Mastercafts Person in Savannah, GA

I worked at Gulfstream full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay so long as you have overtime . Good tools provided

Cons

Benefits got poor , poor management strategies, HR is a not for the employees

10. "Not a Great Place to Work, but could be"

I have been working at Gulfstream full-time

Pros

Good benefits, but those are dwindling.
    Good pay.

Cons

Runs good techs to exhaustion and allows poor techs to remain and do very little, putting more pressure on the good techs.
    Management style is reactive, not proactive. Bad things happen, and a new policy is generated to prevent it.
    Managers are recruited from the Service Dept. and get little or no management training.

Advice to Management

None, they wont listen and hate criticism.