Gulfstream Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gulfstream President Larry Flynn
Larry Flynn

Pros
  • Good Pay and Benefits, Lots of room of move around to other positions (in 17 reviews)

• Gulfstream has a great internship program with benefits and good pay (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Good Ole boy mentality and behind the times (in 24 reviews)

• Hard to have good work / life balance in some positions (in 16 reviews)

"Stay away from Flight Test - Horrible Experience cannot wait to leave"

Current Employee - Aircraft Tech II in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Aircraft Tech II in Savannah, GA

Pros

Cannot really think off many. Some of the permanent employees seem to care about you and are easy to work with and friendly.

Cons

Do not be fooled by this company. Especially if you are a contractor like I am. The pay is horrible I can barely make ends meet. The Savannah area is very expensive to live in. Treatment by management is horrific you are told from day one that you are expendable and that you have no future at Gulfstream. Some of the people you work with see you as a threat and treat you that way. They show you nothing and go out of their way to make your time there miserable. You are swapped from shift to shift at the drop of a hat with little or no notice. You are under the constant threat of being "walked out the front gate" as they like to say, which means fired. The contract houses and Gulfstream are in bed with each other. They tell you what you want to hear in this bad economy to get you in the door and once they do you are on your own. Unfortunately Gulfstream is the largest employer in the Savannah area and they can get away with just about anything. Safety and quality are preached by everyone and followed by nobody. FOD can be found everywhere on the hangar floor and in the aircraft being worked on. This place is a mess stay away. Very sad how they treat people. I cold go on and on but these are some of the main points.

Advice to Management

Get a clue as to what you have going on around you. Please by all means quit before you bring the company down.

"Micro Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

I worked at Gulfstream full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Defined a way to measure compliance with the recycle program.

Cons

Removing the trash cans and replacing them with little trash cans on your desk to encourage recycling, then the manager spot checking your trash can with his admin to measure your compliance.

Advice to Management

OMG

"A Job, Not an Adventure"

Current Employee - Technical Specialist I in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Technical Specialist I in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Gulfstream full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay if you get it going in. Savannah Weather is okay. The Ratio is better in Savannah than some aerospace towns

Cons

Good old boy mentality. Closed minded. Totally political atmosphere. 4-10s beats you down.

Advice to Management

Actually get some people who can lead. Not just normal political rats ready to bite each other at the first sign. Make it a quality organization not just a schedule driven organization.

"Flight Test is the worst!"

Current Employee - Final Line Mechanical III in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Final Line Mechanical III in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Gulfstream full-time

Pros

Free coffee. There are also a few (very few) that are willing to help train you as long as you ask.....and keep asking.

Cons

Major lack of OJT, very cut throat, contractors are treated as indispensable, everyone in flight test has nothing but negative reviews of said place (including the permanent workers), the programs used for production are quite often inaccurate and tons of red tape has to be cut in order to correct such an anomaly (It can literally take days to install a simple bracket), too many people, not enough work (yes, I said that right) which means no training yet you're told to look busy. That means sweeping the floor or walking around the airplane for 10 hours straight.

The G650 is supposedly behind on production so Gulfstreams knee-jerk reaction is to hire a large sum of employees as well as bring in outside talent from other Gulfstream plants (MA and FL). So, here we have 20 people on one aircraft fighting for something to do while the new contract employees get kicked around and swept under the rug.

I had high expectations of this place. I had always heard good things....until I worked there and heard it from actual employees. Maybe they're admin sections is a stellar one but to be a Final Line Mech III in Flight Test is by far the worse example of training and management that I have seen to date.

Also, if you ever get a chance, look inside one of the aircraft in flight test. Rivets, nuts, washers and safety wire can be found throughout the electrical compartments. Safe? I think not....

Advice to Management

It's not people that you need to speed up production. It's parts. Find a way to speed up part delivery and you will be a step ahead. Also, while having such a large amount of downtime, set up OJT for the new guys. You have tons of experience on the floor. Why not utilize that to your advantage?

"Best in Savannah...if you want to live here"

Current Employee - Engineer in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Gulfstream full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay for Savannah if you have to live here.

Cons

Worst place to work if you have ever worked outside of Savannah, Georgia HR is a joke and management is awful. Don't get stuck here. Savannah is a great place to visit but, the jobs suck and Gulfstream sucks too. What a waste of time out of my life!

Advice to Management

Duh. I can't give advice to people that don't get it. They are incompetent - get a clue.

"It was a only a nice place to work if you were direct."

I worked at Gulfstream full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There was a clean environment.

Cons

There was no respect for contractors.

Advice to Management

Treat your contractors better

"Lack of integrity"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Gulfstream full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong product line with a great brand recognition.

Cons

Very immature IT organization lacking a true leader. Highly unethical group of leaders who consistently violate the trust of it's employees

Advice to Management

Recognize those leaders in the organization that are doing a disservice. CEO needs to be more engaged.

"After all, it's business aviation that serves the wealthy; ordinary employees are not of their concerns"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Savannah, GA

I worked at Gulfstream full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a big name in business aviation, it's part of General Dynamics if being an employee at a Fortune 100 company boost your self esteem. Company pays $10,000+ for you to fly business class internationally and ride in limos 10x the cost of a taxi

Cons

There is no paper trail nor transparency, seriously lack of honesty and integrity. If you leave the company, they will cut you off on every money they can get their hands on - such as Management Incentive Plan (MIP) and other bonuses, or even worse, your FSA (Flexible Spending Account) money, yet they won't be willing or able to show your if they have any policy to back them up; if you call or email them, they won't return/reply, essentially incommunicado. They figure you won't sue them for a few grand they owe you, because the legal fees alone will be much higher than the money owe you. After all, the company is in business aviation that serves wealthy people and corporations; ordinary employee's hard work and earned compensation are not of their concerns.

Advice to Management

Gulfstream should implement personality tests as part of the standard management hiring/promotion procedure to weed out those who exhibit pathological lying behaviors.

"Wrongful termination"

Former Employee - Design Checker in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Design Checker in Savannah, GA

Pros

The work environment and everyone seems to work as a team.

Cons

I guess in hindsight that I made a huge mistake taking a contract to work at Gulfstream. I have never been treated so poorly and humiliated like this in my professional working life. This was not my first contract and I have been working in the aircraft industry since 1989. To be let go without any reason was deplorable. I have since been told by other contractors previously employed by your so called reputable company that I am not an isolated case of being terminated like this. I left a job in which I was making a higher rate to take a contract with a company whose so called values include truth telling, respect, trust and integrity.
       I spent months of time and effort filling out the required paperwork to be able to work at Gulfstream. I also spent a lot of money to relocate to Savannah from Canada without my family. I had some hesitation to take this contract after talking with other contractors that had worked previously at Gulfstream including U.S. citizens. They all warned me about the “hire and fire at will” clause. As I have had an exemplary career up until my Gulfstream experience I did not foresee any problems with my ability to perform my job at Gulfstream.
           I spoke with my Lead the day after I was dismissed and he told me that he had told my boss that I was progressing nicely and was fitting into the team. I have always been a team player where ever I have worked. I have always worked well with anyone from the Director of the company to the janitor as every person should be valued no matter what their job function is. My Lead apologized for the treatment that I received and also told me that he had no influence or impact on who was hired and fired in his group. I believe since he is the Lead he should have some input in the direction and manpower requirements of his group. Many people outside my group were also shocked that I was let go. I guess that is to keep everyone on their toes as they may be the next to go.
        I lost all respect for both the Manager and Department head when nothing was really explained to me about my performance after I repeatedly asked on my way out. My department head did not say a single word as I was walked out of your company even after my Lead had told him that I was doing well just the day before. I did however meet some very nice people that were genuinely concerned about my well being and in helping me to integrate into the team. I had every intention to complete my contract with the best of my skill and ability as I have done for the last 25 years in the aerospace industry. I also did not have any confrontation with any employee during my short stint with your company.

Advice to Management

I think the Leads should have input in who is hired and fired in there group as they are the ones that have a first hand account of how the employees in his group are actually performing and working.

"High Management people too arrogant"

Former Employee - Manager in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Savannah, GA

Pros

The aircraft is really good, a respected brand. Engineers that develop the aircraft are great. Work colleagues are very friendly.

Cons

Product Support organization: Micro management, most managers, directors, vice presidents and president are too arrogant, and not as good as they think they are.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage, treat people with respect, not lie to employees. Promote competent people and not only friends.