GumGum Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 28, 2019

2.8
Ophir Tanz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The company really fosters that culture with monthly happy hours, and a few other fun perks" (in 18 reviews)

• "Work with various teams, unlimited PTO, Excellent Benefits, Every employee has Stock Options, Monthly Happy Hours, Dog Friendly" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "CEO is too focused on presenting the company as an AI company, when it is clearly an advertising tech company" (in 6 reviews)

• "Typical growing pains of a company" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Proud to be part of GumGum"

I have been working at GumGum full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

GumGum is on a path to do so many amazing things and I’m excited to be part of it. GumGum definitely is a team oriented company. My peers have definitely taught me so much and I can sense professional growth from working here. Working here has many pros. I really do believe the CEO cares about the well being of his employees. Here’s a few reasons why..
    Pros
    - unlimited PTO (they just don’t advertise it and not stick with it, they actually let you have a work life balance) but I do wish we had a 9-5 schedule ;) and even summer hours too!
    - gym reimbursement ($50)
    - snacks and drinks for employees
    - on going training (especially for manager)
    - TRANSPARENCY! The executive team does an excellent job communicating with us all the time on how the company is doing.
    - competitive pay!
    - and much more!
    I also love how the company gives me the resources/systems to do my job well.

Cons

Honestly not that many cons... but if I had to list I’d say.... I do wish there were more diverse outings that catered to all the employees.

2. "Amazing Company"

I have been working at GumGum full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am thrilled to be part of such an amazing company. We're hard working, but we also know how to have a good time at work. I also feel that GumGum is very team oriented and the Executives really care about their employees. Compared to the other companies I have worked for, nothing comes close to GumGum. It is a fast-paced environment, but I also feel there is a great deal of work-life balance. Great experience all around. I would recommend working at GumGum to anyone.
    1. Unlimited PTO
    2. Fully stocked kitchen
    3. Company sponsored events
    4. Dog friendly
    5. Great benefits

Cons

Not cons from my perspective

Advice to Management

I think they're doing a wonderful job. Collaborative, fun, and passionate about the company & their employees.

"Absolute Mess"

Former Employee - Marketing in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at GumGum full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location, dogs in office, snacks

Cons

Everything else: moronic management, no advancement opportunities, questionable ethics, pervasive immature attitude, no direction, no real differentiation in the market, wrong people in charge, low morale, under market rate pay.

Advice to Management

There should be new management.

"Terrible Sales Management"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at GumGum full-time

Pros

Decent product, unlimited vacation (as a seller you can't afford to take a day off, but man do the AMs and CSMs take advantage of the unlimited vacation days).

Cons

Terrible management that does not help drive sales, improve campaign performance or recognize the poor customer service provided by their sales support team.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Stop wasting your sales team's time in the endless internal meetings and non stop fire drills. Stop making the internal processes more complicated and make it easier to sell to your clients. The tests and quizzes that you spring on your sales team are insulting. You are about to see a large wave of OG sellers leaving if you don't immediately start treating them better. There is no work/life balance here. You hustle to make your sales goals and provide good service to your clients, often working late or on weekends. Then your reward is a written test. This is a JOKE.

"AdTech Company that acts as if it still is a Startup"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at GumGum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cons

Upward mobility. Raises are given after annual performance review, not title increases. Very mute on the idea of going public.

Advice to Management

The company feels like two companies. One part is focusing on Digital Advertising and the other part is focusing on Artificial Intelligence. Going public can help define the company so people would be comfortable in becoming a shareholder.

"Do not come here"

Former Employee - Account Management in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Account Management in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at GumGum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Near the beach, some cool co-workers

Cons

Your management and literally everything else. Red flags every day!

"Frat house culture and mean girls"

I have been working at GumGum full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unlimited vacation time which you will want to use because the people there act like high schoolers and have cocktail hours on every occasion (if you like that sort of thing, this might be the perfect company for you)

Cons

There is a cliquey, mean girl culture (especially in the Sales division) and their turn over rate is faster than hot cakes. I wonder why...

"Do NOT go near this place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at GumGum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of free alcohol and nice office, with dogs allowed at work.
    Great marketing.

Cons

Where do you start. This is a juvenile environment, run by inexperienced children. The company had some initial luck and was able to ride the wave of the upsurge in programmatic trading, however the tech is average and the management poor, at best.
    The CEO, when he’s actually engaged with the business, insists the company is an AI business when, in reality, its an ad tech business.
    The company will struggle moving forward for a multitude of reasons:
    1. Lack of focus from the CEO.
    2. Average ad tech that is now being questioned by the market.
    3. Reduction of margins due to increased programmatic trading and lack of perceived point of difference.
    4. Continued investment in areas that are unlikely to ever provide a reasonable return.
    5. Inexperienced and egotistical management who day - to - day are lead by a narcissistic control freak (not the disengaged CEO) whose modus operandi, is gossip about employees and crisis management.
    6. Cash burn and inability to raise additional funding.
    7. Dog excrement.

Advice to Management

Leave it to adults to take responsibility and make the big (right) decisions.
    Loook for an exit strategy.... FAST!

"An Outstanding Sales Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at GumGum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Good benefits.

2. Great optics. The office is in a beautiful, albeit expensive, location.

3. Young, hardworking talent.

4. Currently evolving into what the company's most likely to be.

Cons

1. No protection for anyone below management; people are reprimanded/fired on one-sided accusations.

2. Growth is limited.

3. Any report to HR becomes instant exposure to gossip, and will really just expedite the employee's exit, rather than resolve anything.

4. Projects involve no direction, and resolve no problem.

5. High turnover rate.

Advice to Management

I'd rather give advice to current and future employees:

1. GumGum is not a visual intelligence company, or a tech-industry brand. It is, by all accounts, a very good sales company. They are amazing at selling ideas, or potential solutions. The sales teams are the integral part, as they have always been responsible for coming up with product ideas.

Do not be upset if dev or engineering or design isn't going through their necessary stages; none if this matters without a sale. I also can't stress this enough: do not attempt to come up with new ideas unless you want more work, for the same reward. It's all about the sale.

2. Keep communication streamlined. When they say something is anonymous, it is NOT anonymous. Management is often placed in difficult positions, and will use everything for/against you, so keep your communication limited with them as well.

3. Opportunities are available, but be prepared to have them disappear as well. If something is promised or assured, always document it.

4. Most positions are geared for employees that are willing to stay where they are. Absolutely not a bad thing, these opportunities are great if you already have a sustainable situation.

The problem is, the company is only hiring entry-level talent for serious, mid-level to senior-level projects.

GumGum is in a tough position, because they are transitioning from being a tech startup, to a company that's trying to sell as many products as possible. Overall, not a bad company, but look somewhere else for a more sustainable career.

10. "Account Management Intern"

Former Employee - Account Management Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Management Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at GumGum (Less than a year)

Pros

The individuals were fun, innovative, and collaborative. Definitely a quality experience

Cons

There are no were no cons that I faced while there