Gumbiner Savett Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Gumbiner Savett full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to start a career, you can learn lots of things in the tax world.

Cons

I see a lot of people come and go. Not sure if that's because this is just a place to learn then move to your career, or something else.

"Poor Management/HR"

I worked at Gumbiner Savett full-time

Pros

Experience in a CPA firm. Met some very nice people. Located in a hip/fun area, close to the beach, shopping and entertainment.

Cons

Generally felt like a sinking ship.

High turnover. Good employees disappear randomly all the time. Strange things happen a lot, such as someone being let go after talking to HR. I would recommend staying away from that office.

Employee morale is very low. Communication is poor and an overwhelming lack of caring and compassion shown to people on all levels.

Management tries to pretend things are ok or looks the other way and does not fix internal issues. This is probably because most of the worst employees are close to retirement. So there's hope that this place might be better in 10 years. If it's still around.

Advice to Management

Some people in management roles need to be removed and replaced.

You could save so much money in hiring costs if you simply improved the working environment (meaning the people and attitudes...not the addition of fancy coffee machines or casual Friday). Improving morale starts from above.

You will continue to lose good workers and even business with the way things are currently run.

3. "Tax Manager"

Pros

Great learning experience and resources

Cons

Tax season can be hectic

Advice to Management

Please connect to your people

4. "Great Place to Start Your Accounting Career"

I have been working at Gumbiner Savett (More than 3 years)

Pros

Associates gain exposure to tax and audit in private and public middle-market companies in industries such as agriculture, apparel & textile, construction, entertainment, manufacturing and distribution, non-for profit, and real estate. Continuing education/training provided. Friendly & helpful staff.

Cons

High turnover, long work hours during busy season (but I guess that's typical in accounting firms).

"Great Audit Experience"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Gumbiner Savett full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good audit and accounting experience for new accountants.

Cons

Tax training is lacking. Oh yea, I worked their for almost two years and logged more than 500 audits hours. When it came time to "sign off" my hours with the CA Board of Accountancy, the Senior Audit Manager refused. I had to petition the CA Board of Accountancy to review the workpapers in order to have my CPA certificate issued. I now run my own firm and earn a little under $200,000 per year...

Advice to Management

Formalize tax trainimg

"Assisting with the Business Services dept."

Former Employee - Business Services Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Business Services Intern in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Interns are able to have freedom to learn

Cons

not much upper level contact

Advice to Management

It might be better to maintain a more dynamic internship program

7. "Good place to work if you want stability"

Former Employee - Intern in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Stability- Accounting is a really stable field
    Nice Offices-located in a great location, about a ten minute drive from the beac
    Admin Staff-very friendly people, good peers to work with

Cons

Accounting- pretty boring industry
    Social- not a very good place for a fresh college graduate, not many people to socialize with, most people are involved in their families and work etc....

Advice to Management

I really couldnt say I didnt work much with Senior Management

"Good Firm that NEEDS NEW MANAGEMENT IDEAS!"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

GS is well rocognized among its competitors (other CPA firms) in the Los Angeles area; I still believe it's a good place to work, and everyone gets along really well.

Cons

As others have written, the firm management the past 2-3 years have slipped and have made bad choices. For example, the move to transfer the work into a less paper environment could have been handled better - - the move to Sureprep was not great. Among partners and principals, the work was not distributed fairly. This has left some in upper management a little perturbed and caused others to leave.

The worst thing that could have happened is the move to hire non-locals among the staff. I understand the cheaper rate that they can pay, but I rather have someone who speaks better English and knows American customs.

I think it started to go down when they were examining being bought out by a larger national firm.

Advice to Management

There are some who shouldn't be in Senior Management.

"A Place On The Decline"

Former Employee - Senior in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Senior in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

PROS

Good mid-level firm to start off from college. There is growing support at this level, and I believe it continues to get better. There's a range of great clients and exposure to all industries is certain.

Cons

CONS

The management was lacking, and the direction the firm was heading was not good. People were leaving, and they were being replaced by Indians. I termed it "Reverse Outsourcing." Certain new partners were changing the culture to one that was negative for a smaller firm.

Advice to Management

There are some partners who have no business being partners. The cold attitude needs to be thawed out. There needs to be greater structure.

"It's ok. Pays the bills"

Current Employee - Staff in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Staff in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

I initially liked working with the different people, and I thought it would be a place where I can get great experience.

Cons

After having worked here for close to 18 months, I feel like I need to move on. I have not been able to get the audit experience that I want. It seems like there's a lot politics involved in getting a job. Certain managers and seniors want to work with certain staff. On the other side, the tax department doesn't really have any good programs for instruction. Their training method is to throw you in the deep end, and let you figure it out yourself.

There's a lot of poltics in the firm, even among managers and partners. It seems like there's no true leader.

Advice to Management

More structure involved in the training of staff.