Gunlocke Reviews | Glassdoor

Gunlocke Reviews

3.8
Don Mead

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Work That Feels Like Family"

Current Employee - Design Services Specialist in Wayland, NY
    Current Employee - Design Services Specialist in Wayland, NY

I have been working at Gunlocke full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been at Gunlocke for 1 year now, and in that time I went from a temporary employee, making chairs on the factory floor, to now working on the offices as a design services specialist. Management, even though they knew that I was not the most qualified person in the world for the position (based off of my previous training), gave me a chance to prove myself.
    They are adamant about hiring in house in an effort to always put it's members first. Giving me the opportunity they did allowed me to grow both personally and professionally, and has changed my families future in such amazing ways that I am sure they do not fully understand.
    Another great benefit of working here is that they are constantly trying to raise member moral. Management has been known to leave their offices and work on the floors when help is needed. They hand out gear, gift cards, and food to employees randomly just to say thank you. They also take the time to make the holidays fun with contests, raffles, giveaways, and decorations. They also make it a point to recognize and reward members for coming up with great ideas that help the company and members, and make it known to everyone in the plant!

I could go on and on about the benefits, but rather than give it all away, why don't you apply already and make you part of the family!

Cons

Because this is such a specialty field, many times things can get complicated and hectic. High end office furniture is one of the first things people stop buying when the economy starts to dive, which results in lay offs once in a while. The flip side to that is they are really good at scheduling incoming work so that everyone has steady work. Starting temporary also makes it a little difficult to get your foot in the door, but if you are diligent and work hard, you WILL be rewarded!

Advice to Management

Listen to members on what they want to see improved, and what their frustrations are. Happy employees bring more happy employees. This has become less of an issue, but will always be an area that any company can improve.

2. "Analyst"

I worked at Gunlocke full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid benefits. Great people to work with that work hard and that are very smart.

Cons

Understaffed in departments. HNI controls everything which can limit the company in many ways. The company as in HNI only care about making a profit and not looking after there employees. Low pay. 15% under Market value for my position. 33% raise when I left

Advice to Management

Nothing management can do. HNI controls everything.

3. "Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

Pros

Good People to work with

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities to grow

4. "Small, family atmosphere, great culture"

Current Employee - Sr. Analyst in Wayland, NY
    Current Employee - Sr. Analyst in Wayland, NY

I have been working at Gunlocke full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture is the best part of working at Gunlocke. It is a fun, lax working environment. The corporation has been around for over 110 years.

Cons

It is a smaller company, so unless you are willing to relocate to another sister company it may be hard to climb the ladder, depending on your field.