Gurstel Chargo Reviews | Glassdoor

Todd Gurstel

1. "Bonuses hit or miss"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Gurstel Chargo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful people most have been there for years.
    Satisfying customers is really the most rewarding aspect.

Cons

Low hourly wage and bonuses change all the time.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they are worth

"A great place to learn and grow!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at Gurstel Chargo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gurstel Chargo is a growing business, with offices in 6 states. If you stick around they will give you the chance to take on new responsibilities and will promote from within. The CEO is a caring and passionate leader who only wants to see the best for his business. The office environment is secure and pleasant. Management allows for you to give ideas to improve efficiency and encourages self-starters.

Cons

Currently no 401k match, medical premiums are high.

Advice to Management

Develop a structure and incentives for employees to stay long term.

"Chained to Desk"

Former Employee - Paralegal in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Gurstel Chargo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good entry level experience for a paralegal.

Cons

Chained to Desk as a Paralegal. Low pay, expected to work on weekends and overtime is not worth it. Attorneys are not happy and expected to work eight to five.

"Gain great experience"

Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Gurstel Chargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of perks to working here, if you're willing to put in the effort. There is a wonderful training program when you begin working here, showing all of the different roles that a number of the employees play, teaching all about the relevant laws and legal processes, and demonstrating how those are applied to the daily routine. As an attorney, you will gain invaluable courtroom experience almost immediately, which many other firms this size do not provide. Expect to appear in court on a daily basis. That being the case, you need to be able to manage your time well, as once you get back into the office, the work does not stop. If you are a motivated, hard-working individual, looking for great experience, then this is it. On top of that, there is a great bonus structure in place for attorneys, which is a good way to supplement your base salary. There are annual retention bonuses, and if you can bring in clients to the firm, you get a percentage of all of the fees the firm gets (giving you the perks of a partner, if you reel them in). The firm's motto is "accountability matters," and if you have the drive to succeed here, your accountability will be rewarded. The staff is great and personable, and there are many people who have been there for years.

Cons

The workload is high, as are the expectations. This is not a ding to the firm, as any attorney should expect this from any firm. However, it does make it difficult to have a work-life balance when you're putting in those hours at the office and at home (which is a nice thing, in that you can choose to work from home when you need to). The starting base salary is mediocre, but can be easily supplemented by the generous variety of bonuses available. There has historically been a problem with turnover, which may be due to this being viewed as a stepping-stone position, but if you play your cards right, this can be a great place for an extended career.

Advice to Management

There needs to be an improvement in the focus on staff retention. It costs more to continually train new people than it would to keep them on board. The training program and culture are great!

"A great place to work"

Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Gurstel Chargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a new attorney, it is difficult to get courtroom experience. This is one of the few areas of the legal field where you are able to get that type of exposure on a weekly, if not daily basis. Retail Collections is not one of the most glamorous areas of the legal realm, but I found it quite enjoyable. I did not graduate from law school thinking I'd be practicing this type of law, but I am glad I stumbled into it.

I knew absolutely nothing about retail collections when I started at GC. There is a lot to know and GC did a great job with the training. It is impossible to know everything, but whenever I had a question, all I had to do was ask. I could always find someone with the answer. My supervisor was great at answering all of my questions. She literally knew everything, and I mean everything. I never had any difficulty going to her with questions, problems, etc. and she was extremely understanding.

The people I worked with were great and easy to get along with and made my day that much more enjoyable.

The work environment was relaxed which was nice.

Cons

The workload is a bit stressful at times, but that happens at all firms and with any job.

Driving long distances for a court hearing.

Advice to Management

Have more paralegals and attorneys on staff.

"Great place to learn, now opportunity to grow!"

Current Employee - Legal Administrative Assistant in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at Gurstel Chargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-As an employee who has come from another law firm, I'm glad that HR and Management recognize how hard the Administrative staff works here and that they have been instrumental in developing a new "Step-Program" for the Department which allows an employee to grow and learn new parts of the process. This is more than the previous law firm that I worked for ever did, and any other law firm that I have worked for has ever done! To me it proves that management cares about you as an employee, and wants you to stay and grow with them.
    -Great coffee
    -Casual work environment
    -Open Door Policy
    -Great recognition give away with the Chip program.
    -Fun Booster Club activities/ BBQ's/Wii Bowling

Cons

-IT issues prevent us from doing our work from time to time which is frustrating when you want to get your work done.
    -Compliance training is boring

Advice to Management

-Would like my manager to be more available for questions.
    - Would like to see more automation in the process. This would lessen our workload and incorporate more efficiency in the job itself.
    -Terrible mailroom employees, and 99% of the staff agrees. They are negative individuals who are constantly on break and outside on their cell phones. Get rid of them as you could hire way better talent there.
    -Implement a 401k match

"Why I wouldn't work anywhere else after joining Gurstel Chargo"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at Gurstel Chargo full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-encouraging employees to be the best that you can
    -appreciation of its employees
    -supports its community with a giving garden
    -relaxed atmosphere, employees feel more like family than colleagues
    -willingness to listen and try new things

Cons

What job doesn't have cons? What makes Gurstel Chargo extraordinary is that its Pros far out weight the Cons.

9. "Receptionist/Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Starting pay was good, nice office, a lot of nice girls there, felt secure and safe working there due to consumers not being allowed inside.

Cons

Have someone knowledgeable to train the front desk, your week long training is POINTLESS SORRY TO SAY.
    Computer program crashed every other week making me lose all my 2 hours of work, IT tech never did anything to resolve it.
    Printing high volume of consumer demand letters I had to scan everyday THAT didn't always scan into their computer system CLS, which was frustrating to go back and reprint them all a week later, never had to deal with anything like that. I had constant migraines and anxiety from it.

Advice to Management

FIX YOUR COMPUTER PROGRAM for morning grabscans for the receptionist in your Scottsdale office and figure out why demand letters aren't scanning through to CLS, its too much work to go back and reprint them all again especially if there's over 300 of them.

"Enjoy my surroundings"

Current Employee - Legal Administrative Assistant in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at Gurstel Chargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best part of working at GC is the people! I work with so many talented and bright people. I love the relaxed but professional culture/environment here. I think it is admirable that the company provides an opportunity and takes a chance on individuals when they come in with no legal experience. This is a great place to learn about the legal process. GC has many recognition programs for those who go above and beyond in their job.

Cons

If you want to come to a job where you feel that you do not need to pull your weight or you are only out for yourself then this is not the job for you. This is a very high volume and fast paced environment and you need to be able to manage your time, have great attention to detail, and work with your team to accomplish the goals that your manager has set.
    I get really tired hearing the select few immature individuals that feel they are entitled to making more money and doing less work or not pulling their weight. If they worked as hard as they complained, the rest of us wouldn't have to work as hard to pick up their slack. They are the people that management needs to get rid of because that would make the rest of us happy.

Advice to Management

Continue with the recognition programs and Booster Club activities.
    Continue listening to employees ideas to improve and lighten the work load.
    Working smarter not longer or harder is another motto to incorporate.
    PLEASE PLEASE GET RID OF THE SLACKERS AND COMPLAINERS!

11. "Please pay ATTENTION to these reviews"

Current Employee - N/A in Golden Valley, MN
    Current Employee - N/A in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at Gurstel Chargo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gain alot of experience
    Attorneys are knowledgeable and HELPFUL
    Open door policy

Cons

HR is as fake as they come
    Attitudes from management
    They don't care about your personal life, JUST THE WORK THATS DONE .
    P A Y does NOT match the work load. (The reason for the high turn over)
    Train you on the policies & legal procedures during orientation rather than THE WORK ITSELF.
    Unrealistic expectations for completing work (by the end of your 8HR work day)
    New tasks are added frequently with the SAME deadline expectations.
    They harass you to get as much work done as possible before you leave when u give your 2 weeks!! (True story)
    Again the attitudes and sarcastic emails, ending with SMILEY FACES is the GC culture***
    **PAY ATTENTION TO THESE REVIEWS BEFORE CONSIDERATION, No one is lying or exaderating in past reviews**

Advice to Management

This " New step program'' program is a joke. Everyone in the office agreed. No one is moving out of management any time soon. It is just an attempt to keep hope alive so no one else quits. Good try though.
    Bottom line, while you're offering $500 signing bonuses for new hires your employees are job hunting daily. We have to work twice as hard because your establishment can't get people to come to a job fair due to the reputation. The company needs new management in general.