Gusto Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

San Francisco, CA

4.4
Joshua Reeves

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Our work space fosters the openness we strive for in our culture and it makes for a relaxing work environment day to day" (in 17 reviews)

• "Work-life balance is getting to be where it should be" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "I gave work/life balance 4 stars" (in 16 reviews)

• "Gusto is going through some expected growing pains; we're growing fast and maturing in how we operate" (in 18 reviews)

"Creating a world where work empowers a better life!"

I have been working at Gusto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ Really smart people, some of the brightest people I've worked with in my career
    + Everyone is so nice, almost too nice.
    + Opportunity for career advancement given the growth of the business
    + A high percentage of roles are filled though internal transfers. The company believes in investing in the talent that is there today
    + A very thoughtful recruiting process - interview panels are prepped on target profile, interviewers have specific focus areas, and we make sure to reserve time for candidate questions
    + Transparency - biweekly all hands meeting, weekly team meetings, constant updates in Slack

Cons

-Some of the more senior leaders have scaled out of their roles. Excited to see a new wave of leadership
    -Quirky: shoeless office, lots of Gusto jargon (PE = manager), kinda kumbaya-ish
    -It's hard to get support from technical teams on key projects. There's a lack of cross functional alignment and partnership
    -Meeting overkill

"Very happy with my career move"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gusto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Excellent growth opportunties
    - Surrounded by smart colleagues
    - Everyone on the team is motivated to do their best
    - A lot of encouragement and understanding from senior leadership
    - The catered lunch/dinner makes me very happy

Cons

- The office is tough to get to

"Politics are abound and no work-life balance"

I have been working at Gusto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful brand new office (see pictures)

Cons

1). Inexperienced Managers
    If you search the reviews here, you will notice one common thing: people are promoted as manager or hired as one but without actual managerial experiences. It seems that the company is not aware that a manager is someone that have leadership qualities and focus on managing people first and project second.

2). Old guards and “clique” culture
    Many employees have been around for a long time and this create an almost “clique” culture. If you have disagreement with these people, especially those who have been promoted to a manager position (see above), very likely the other old guards will back them up and you will lose out. Playing the politics game is a must given that the approach is more of “my way or the highway”.

3). Lack of collaboration
    Business units often will execute projects without consulting other respective teams. When they realized that other teams need to be involved, they will demand that the other teams to complete the project in a very short time.

4). Work-life balance
    Given all the above and depending on your team, work-life balance is almost non-existent. You will be tasked with so much work that long hours, including weekends, is not unheard of. If you push back, see all of the above.

Advice to Management

Start a 360-degree feedback review for ALL employees and anonymous Q&A during company-wide meetings. Get consensus on what is happening at the trench level and start to take action. Act upon your company values of "Do what's right".

"Gusto was a great decision!"

I have been working at Gusto full-time

Pros

- Everyone is very welcoming and goes out of their way to make you feel included
    - Interview process was very clear, communication throughout it was excellent
    - You can tell the company and management team cares a lot about the people that work at the org., you're not just a number and they are very thoughtful about it

Cons

- It's a start up and it is growing rapidly, so some growing pains are to be expected as the organization scales

"Amazing Place to Work!"

I have been working at Gusto full-time

Pros

- Great management that is really invested in your development
    - A lot of intelligent and genuinely friendly people here
    - Great learning culture here (everyones always happy to share what they do in their role or just teach you something new in general)
    - Great opportunities for lateral career movement for those who are interested in trying new things
    - Start up that's always experiencing change but, mature enough where we aren't going out of business any time soon.

Cons

- Big meeting culture to the point where it can hinder productivity

"Thank you, Gusto!"

I have been working at Gusto full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Great management: Gusto has a really robust management support and training program, with ongoing work groups for managers to continue learning from each other. Management philosophy can make or break the work experience at a company, and Gusto has honed an excellent philosophy of self-awareness, driving the business, and building the team. Managers here truly empower their teams!
    * Unique position: Gusto has an powerful and thoughtful product, and is in a really great position to improve the way MANY people work and run businesses.
    * Meaningful benefits: The benefits are clearly rooted in Gusto's values, and create a really supportive and inclusive environment. Some great examples: inclusive fertility benefits, a "Fly Away" ticket on your first anniversary (that you have to use before your second- Gusto actually wants you to take this vacation!), catered lunch with great options for different diets/allergies, opt-in dinner (there's no pressure to work late, but you're covered if you do), and fully-covered health insurance for all employees.
    * Thoughtful career development: Gusto has the best performance review process I've experienced, and managers value and promote career development throughout the year (not just right after your reviews).

Cons

* No 401K matching (used to have it, then it was temporarily discontinued), but it's expected to come back in the near future
    * Gusto is going through some expected growing pains; we're growing fast and maturing in how we operate. Embracing change can be hard, and the start-up environment isn't for everyone.

"People Team"

Current Employee - People in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - People in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gusto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- lots of career options and mobility options
    - really, truly stick to our values. every decision made is values-driven
    - beautiful new office in SF

Cons

We recently relocated to Dogpatch, and the commute isn't the best

Advice to Management

All managers are pretty booked up and busy, but having some quality 1x1 time for direct reports is very meaningful

"Amazing company, amazing people"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gusto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Gorgeous new office - spacious and fosters collaboration
    - Inspiring mission and inspiring women at the exec level - COO and CMO are real, honest, and transparent
    - Fulfilling work and career pathing - ample opportunity to take on exciting new projects at all levels

Cons

- A lot of internal promotions, which leads to a lot of first time managers. An area of improvement would be more robust training for these new managers.

"People Team"

Current Employee - People Team in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - People Team in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gusto full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

# The People - The people at Gusto are phenomenal! These are some of the most brilliant people I've worked with. The Invite Team (aka recruiting) in particular works really well within our team and across cross-functional teams. People really care about each other here. We give "kudos" in our team meetings and highlight our peers' accomplishments. I feel that my managers and mentors are invested in my growth and learning.

# The Space - Our new office is BEAUTIFUL! There's lots of extra desk space, couch space, and opportunity to stand/sit away from your desk. Plus I love our community mural (and the couches are comfy :-). There are also little tributes around the office to our Gusto customers!

# The Culture - We're encouraged to celebrate our peers' victories, cover for each other when OOO, and take time off to be with family and volunteer. There's a culture of care and empathy here at Gusto that I haven't experienced anywhere else. There's also a lot of transparency within the company. During our company-wide meetings, the exec team hosts a monthly Q&A. These are recorded and distributed to the rest of the company at the end of each meeting - it's a great way to stay informed and ask questions (no matter how difficult).

Cons

#The Commute - Commuting for me personally is fine thanks to carpool. However, it's been a pain point for Gusties living in the East Bay

"Mission-driven culture and approach"

I have been working at Gusto full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

What I was most surprised about was the intentionality with which Gusto operates. They have a laser-focus on their customer and their mission, and it's apparent through on-boarding, town halls, and in the day-to-day decisions.

The people are genuinely kind and extremely talented. People practice healthy debate and feedback.

The culture here is phenomenal. People are truly bought in (and how could you not be, they're making a difference in the lives of everyday people), and they bring that passion to everything that happens here. I also believe that Gusto invests in the right places. Being a company in the HR space, they strive to be a good example to other companies in terms of how they develop their culture and treat employees. This comes out in so many ways -- how they conduct interviews, free meals in the office, speaker series. They're good at taking best practices from other companies that are doing things well and applying it within.

Cons

Gusto is growing really quickly. It's apparent that they are going through a transition and there will naturally be growing pains. My sense is that some Gusties are onboard with this, and those that have been here longer have mixed feelings. Typical for a company that scales that fast. But fortunately it's not as divisive as I've seen in other companies. Gusto is hyper aware of keeping a steady balance during their growth.

As a brand, Gusto isn't as well known as some other players in the silicon valley tech space, and that's disappointing considering all that they're accomplishing.