Guthy-Renker Reviews

Updated Aug 19, 2020

2.7
Guthy-Renker CEO Richard F. Odum (no image)
Richard F. Odum
Pros
  • "Met a lot of great people who I stay in touch with now(in 23 reviews)

• "Enjoyed working for the company and met some very good people(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Seriously dysfunctional upper management(in 11 reviews)

• "Guthy-Renker treats its employees like replaceable tools, which explains its high turnover(in 10 reviews)

1. "Love working here!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Guthy-Renker full-time for less than a year

Pros

- The CEO & management are amazing - Great camaraderie - Transparency - Fun environment - Great perks

Cons

- Commute - Nothing else to add

"Poor Management"

I have been working at Guthy-Renker full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The positives about his company are there are some nice and fun people working here. They do a happy hour and they attempt to provide amenities so on the extra side, there are some very positive notes.

Cons

The positive notes do not outweigh how horribly this company is managed. Constant shifts and reorganizations and I mean do not get comfortable in your seat because the joke is "you'll be moving in 6 months." The CEO is completely out of touch with his direct reports and that crew is varying in skill level. Communication with staff is laughable and the blatant favoritism makes for a high turnover rate. It became increasingly frustrating to watch promotions happen to people that clearly were not capable of managing their role or their reports. The CEO is not well liked and that makes it tough to keep up morale. Plus the workload is ridiculous and unless you are willing to spend a lot of hours for average money, don't even bother applying.

"Favoritism and Discrimination"

I have been working at Guthy-Renker full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The money and benefits. The ONLY reason I've stayed - the money and benefits.

Cons

All you need do, is read these comments to see a consistent theme. Then read some of the dismissive "Company Responses". And you'll get the full picture. I will say the past 2 years have probably been the worst. Management (from mid-level to senior) are extremely counterproductive. While their favoritism and discrimination is disgustingly blatant. One department's management once discussed a potential new hire right in front of their staff. Management said (verbatim), "No... he's male. We want female. And he's older... we want younger. Older employees don't take direction. We want younger and female." I can understand if they were discussing a model or some role where age and gender would be a consideration. But this was a STANDARD staff position. And their decision was clearly being driven by prejudicial stereotype. Also, I've never worked at a place where the administration actively encourages their younger, newer employees to refer to older staff with seniority as "legacy". But they do here. And this attitude is obvious company-wide. Albeit, some departments are worse than others. Non-favored employees are overworked, overburdened and constantly criticized about performance. While favored employees, as well as many mid-level and senior management, are given light workloads and sometimes disappear for hours (sometimes days) without any accountability. Non-favored employees are often forced to silently watch as their management and favored employees take all credit for their hard work on successful projects. But guess who catches blame, should a project go south? What sort of company actually allows management to use their own team as scapegoats??????? And you can just forget about advancement. I've never seen a worthy employee promoted, not once. Though, I have seen many "favorites" get advanced, based on absolutely no merit. I mean, why would you promote an employee who actually DOES the work and understands the brands, right? That's just silly. Oh, don't get me wrong. You'll be "promised" a promotion. Oh boy, will you be promised. Unfortunately, this has just created an awful "high school" culture. Where the pretty cheerleader makes the nerd to do all her homework, then she pokes fun at them in front of everyone in the cafeteria. And they wonder why employees are leaving in droves.

"Bad company culture"

Former Employee - Designer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Guthy-Renker full-time for more than a year

Pros

Occasional free food, some free stuff, and..... can't think of anything

Cons

Not sure about other departments but if you are thinking of joining the design team, DON'T! The art directors don't know what they are doing half the time, and has a micro-management tendency to their designers. And the managers at different departments seem to have a hard time communicating with each other. The HR department seems to favor those in a higher or CEO positions. And remember you cannot be late for anything (not even one minute) because they will hold you accountable for that, unless you are a higher-up, then you can be as late as you want or even not show up.

"Good company culture but need better alignment"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Guthy-Renker full-time

Pros

Good company culture, teams plan fun activities for employees to motivate employees

Cons

It appears that only a handful of people get to suggest or make decisions for the company. There are a lot of talented people in the company and should contribute to the success of the company.

6. "Great place to work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Guthy-Renker full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

team oriented and lots of room for advancement

Cons

constant decision changes and coffee sucks

"Behind the Times"

Former Employee - Associate Product Manager in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Guthy-Renker full-time for more than a year

Pros

Guthy-Renker provides a competitive starting salary with benefits including 3 weeks' paid vacation and health coverage.

Cons

Guthy-Renker runs its business with outdated notions on what kind of company culture and environment is conducive to hard work and innovative ideas. While three weeks of paid vacation is included as a benefit, taking vacation longer than a day or two is frowned upon. Those who do take these vacations are often perceived as not as hardworking, and usually return to a large backlog of work. Job descriptions are kept vague to allow Guthy-Renker to pile on additional work due to being understaffed or simply wanting to accomplish more with less. This creates a sense that there is always a reason to be working late, on the weekends, or when sick. This further contributes to the stigma of taking vacation. Guthy-Renker also operates with strict hours, requiring employees to be in the office every day for the stated amount of time and with little exception. Working remotely is only allowed, and encouraged, when an employee is home sick. Flexible start and end times are a rare exception, not the rule. This micromanagement of employees’ time also bleeds into the day-to-day work. The office is structured to allow managers to see their employees’ screens and there is a general feeling of managerial oversight at all times. Little fun is had in the office. Most employees do not talk with each other throughout the day, even though there is an open office plan. On occasion, employees will be in the kitchen area and eating together, but most people do not take a full lunch break (it is again discouraged). Guthy-Renker treats its employees like replaceable tools, which explains its high turnover. They are averse to new and outside ideas, instead preferring what has historically been done at the company. This explains why most of the leadership has been with the company for nearly a decade. If you’re looking for a company that encourages being a workaholic without any flexibility, then you’ve found your company.

Continue reading

"Horrible Company -- Avoid at all Costs"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Guthy-Renker full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are no pros worth mentioning.

Cons

No flexibility, horrible managers, high-turnover. CEO is one of the biggest you know whats I have ever met.

Chief Administrative Officer

We are sorry you feel this way. I find that disgruntled employees are the most likely to post on Glassdoor while happy employees do not post. We do take feedback seriously; so, if you have concrete suggestions, can explain what you mean about "no flexibility" or "horrible managers," please discuss with HR or with a manager you trust. But sometimes people don't fit the culture and write a bad review, that's okay -- we recognize we cannot be all things to all people. But we do try to be a responsible and fair employer.

"Company doesn't care"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Arden, NC

I worked at Guthy-Renker full-time for less than a year

Pros

Full time hours, pretty easy job

Cons

If you get sick or anything happen where you have to be out for a couple of days you will be fired. Even with a doctor's note. Doesn't care about employee's only about making money.

Chief Administrative Officer

this review appears to be posted by a former employee about his/her experience as a CSR at OceanX, a Guthy-Renker affiliate, in Arden NC. We aren't challenging or disputing this former employee's experience; it's just not relevant to anyone trying to learn about the work environment at Guthy-Renker in El Segundo CA. We've tried to work with Glassdoor to fix these types of mis-posts, but Glassdoor insists on allowing posters (not companies) to decide where reviews are placed.

"Great culture"

4.0

I have been working at Guthy-Renker full-time

Pros

Upper management is very approachable and reward their staff with awesome perks.

Cons

It's a great company- not much to complain about

Found 156 reviews