Guthy-Renker Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Richard F. Odum

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Met a lot of great people who I stay in touch with now (in 22 reviews)

• Salary is good (I work for GR a bit over two years and talked with other employees about salary and benefits (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Seriously dysfunctional upper management (in 11 reviews)

• busy work environment, sometimes can be hostile (in 6 reviews)

"Great People!"

I have been working at Guthy-Renker full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the people here. Everyone just wants to get things done and you learn something new everyday. The company is constantly changing but it is amazing what teams can achieve when working on the same priorities.

Cons

Everyday is a new challenge and we are constantly mentally stretched. Most of the time this pace is good for learning but would be nice to have a dull day at least once a decade.

Advice to Management

Summer hours were appreciated. Also, nice to see management join in the fun at a recent product launch celebration, their outfits were fun.

"A Very Good Place to Grow & Gain Knowledge"

I have been working at Guthy-Renker full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Extremely good, innovative, thoughtful team
    -Very nice office
    -Good salary, decent benefits as well
    -Some level of stability as of now
    -New brands that are exciting

Cons

The travel policy for reimbursement can make for a bit of an awkward situation. Some conferences/travel expenses can be very pricey for some of us and make it difficult to pay costs up front.

Advice to Management

It'd be nice if we had some sort of town hall like we used to do. That would put many peoples' minds at ease.

Sep 12, 2017 – Chief Administrative Officer

thank you for your feedback. Our practice has been that employees pay for business travel on their personal credit card and then submit receipts. If the receipts are submitted in a timely way, the... More

"worst place ive ever worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arden, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arden, NC

I have been working at Guthy-Renker full-time

Pros

Its a paycheck, nothing more

Cons

They dont care about employees.
    Everything. I look daily for a new job

Advice to Management

Care about your employees.
    Promote based on skill not who you like.

Sep 12, 2017 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for taking the time to write. You sound frustrated. If you are unhappy at G|R , I hope you are able to find a better fit elsewhere. Rest assured we do care about our employees and their... More

"Strange Place"

I have been working at Guthy-Renker full-time

Pros

Good base salary. Good location. Some good people that are nice and competent.

Cons

- Not a meritocracy: favoritism, nepotism, cronyism.
    - Old boys' club, village big shot culture.
    - Poor management.
    - Excessive use of cheap foreign labor, mostly Indians, making Americans a minority in IT.
    - Different rules and standards for different people. Bad/inappropriate behavior and incompetence is tolerated for some but not others. Some things that happen here would never be accepted at a respectable company.
    - Firings without just cause.
    - Worthless HR department that can't help you with problems.

Advice to Management

What for? They won't listen or do anything about it. Just read all the reviews. People have been complaining about the same things for years.

Apr 6, 2017 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and balancing your review with some positives. I don't believe bad or inappropriate behavior is tolerated for anyone. When we learn of it we... More

"Great Opportunities"

Former Employee - Marketing Director in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Guthy-Renker full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having Guthy-Renker on your resume brings you on a level above your peers. I had many opportunities while working there. Met a lot of great people who I stay in touch with now. The DR Industry is constantly changing; GR did the best job they could to keep up with the pace.

Cons

We often worked in silos: meaning the back end never knew what the front end was doing; media results were often guarded and kept under wrap. Hard to make marketing decisions without the data.

Advice to Management

Bring the walls down between departments.

"Enjoyed the time there!"

Former Employee - Iternational Marketing Manager in Palm Desert, CA
    Former Employee - Iternational Marketing Manager in Palm Desert, CA

I worked at Guthy-Renker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Family-type culture with team building emphasized.

Cons

Departments could be too secluded at times.

"Great learning experience"

I worked at Guthy-Renker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with a great team! Learned a lot!

Cons

Too many changes in a short time

Dec 6, 2016 – Chief Administrative Officer

Thank you for your feedback. We too feel we have a great team and agree that 2016 was a year of a great many changes.

"Great Company with lots of potential!"

I have been working at Guthy-Renker full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management is great and there is no bureaucracy. You can feel comfortable to have a conversation with anyone from the receptionist to the CEO.

Employees are genuinely nice and helpful. Management makes a point to have fun gatherings weekly to encourage staff to mingle and get to know each other and they about their employees and want them to succeed.

Also, the new office in El Segundo is great! Very open environment with fun games like shuffleboard, foosball and pool table.

Cons

Hours can get long because of all the transitions that have been happening but management has been aware and have been providing the resources so there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Advice to Management

Continue to find innovative products to help the company grow.

"Typical Meritocracy"

Pros

The company is very supportive of employees who work hard and invest their talents into trying to make a difference. The spirit is extremely entrepreneurial and will be a great fit for individuals with a similar mindset. The management are true experts and their fields, hold a sense of full responsibility for their job, and expect the same of their staff.

Cons

The company has gone through a significant transformation over the last year that included divesting some part of it and an org restructuring to align itself to its strategic goals. As a result there is a sense of instability/insecurity that some employees are not comfortable with. This situation has improved a lot though in the last several months.

"Opportunities to Grow"

Current Employee - Accounting Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting Manager in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Guthy-Renker full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked for this company for nearly 2 decades. Throughout my employment there have been multiple opportunities to learn new skills and grow with the company. My hard work has always been rewarded with acknowledgement and the opportunity to add new challenges. I am constantly encouraged to contribute to the solution, whatever it may be.

The recent consolidation of two offices to a single location has only enhanced the working environment and the collaboration between departments. The new offices are modern and comfortable. The owners provide several events during the week to encourage a pleasant, friendly atmosphere with the employees.

Cons

My only regret is that I don't live closer to the new location. I would like to work for this company for another decade, but the travel time is off-putting. Not a company issue . . . it's mine to resolve.

Advice to Management

Keep seeking innovative and creative staff members. The Accounting and Finance Department continues to improve and excel as new ideas are brought to the Team from all team members.