Gwinnett County Public Library Reviews | Glassdoor

Charles Pace
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Its good."

Pros

Hours are very flexible. And you can do your job mad quick. The people are also very nice.

Cons

Pay and if you are used to sitting down at a desk, this job isn't for you.

Advice to Management

Its all good.

2. "Great staff, nice customers"

Current Employee - Library Associate
    Current Employee - Library Associate

I have been working at Gwinnett County Public Library part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interaction with customers, Freedom to plan programs that interest you

Cons

Public place and sometimes you have to deal with things that private businesses don't have to. Can be mundane at times.

3. "Springboard only"

I worked at Gwinnett County Public Library full-time

Pros

Looks great on future resumes

Cons

Hard to progress if you don't work at the right branch. Paraprofessionals seen as being expendable despite often doing the work of professionals since there's little oversight of a lot of a managers.

4. "Great Place to Work - Has a few small problems"

Former Employee - Library Associate

I worked at Gwinnett County Public Library full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing co-workers, innovative programs, flexible hours, good managers, lots of exercise, no shushing

Cons

Bad managers - a few who will probably be on their way out, no sitting, lower pay than other libraries in the area

Advice to Management

Cultivate your internal talent and the system will continue to blossom. Higher pay will retain that talent - they are being poached by less capable and innovative systems to make a living.

5. "Non-Profit"

I have been working at Gwinnett County Public Library full-time

Pros

Organization and Values are good.

Cons

Not too many real cons

6. ""Federal Work Study""

Former Employee - Library Assistant in Lilburn, GA
    Former Employee - Library Assistant in Lilburn, GA

I worked at Gwinnett County Public Library part-time

Pros

This was a great atmosphere to work in and I worked with some great people too. i enjoyed shelving books and checking them in.

Cons

My only con is that the program ended and I had to stop working there. If the program had not ended I would still be working there now.

Advice to Management

Do not change anything.

"Library Associate"

I worked at Gwinnett County Public Library full-time

Pros

Most of your coworkers are pretty cool. You can make some good friends on the job. The job isn't intellectually demanding and there is variety throughout the day. Sometimes you get to talk about books. The benefits are better than most places, but still not that great. Most of the customers won't give you a hard time, but it really depends on the branch.

Cons

Management is hit or miss depending on your branch. Some managers are great, some are AWFUL.
    HQ has a habit of firing people who disagree with them. They promote people based on how well they brown nose instead of how good they are at their job. There is very little upward mobility unless you are obsequious. They actually fired the best manager they had because she was courageous and spoke up for people when needed. A lot of managers do next to nothing and never leave their offices. They don't always support you or back you up when needed.
    The pay is low and raises are few and far between, but the cost of benefits rises every year, so you end up with less money over time.
    They took out the Help Desk and now employees have to stand and push tiny kiosks with tiny little laptops around and have virtually no workspace. The customers generally don't like this change, but if the employees say that then they'll get blamed for not making it work. If anything is wrong it is YOUR fault, not the fault of the people in charge. It is much harder for customers to find help when there isn't a giant desk with a huge sign and if you're working the floor you WILL miss people because you only have two eyes and the customers don't know where to go. But of course if you miss people because the system is confusing, it's still your fault. And of course the managers always tell HQ that customers love it because if they tell the truth, it's the branch's fault.
    Your workload increases every year and they expect you to be skilled in all kinds of things that you are not getting paid for.
    There is high turnover, sometimes due to firing but mostly because the employees are unhappy and don't feel respected.
    You end up being the victim in political games.
    The job is very socially demanding and people will complain if you don't smile as much they think you should.
    The Executive Director's sycophants like to come in to branches unannounced so they can find things you're doing wrong and complain about it. They don't even want you to TALK to other employees when you're on the floor, even though that's kind of necessary for communication.
    You will get really tired of explaining how to do very simple things to people, for example, printing, attaching documents to emails, checking out, and using the catalog.
    The hours are not good. You normally have to work every third weekend and one night a week, but since so many employees leave and it takes so long for HQ to hire replacements, the managers add more nights and weekends and if you say anything about it they whine that they have to work extra too (so we're supposed to sympathize with people making twice as much money as us).
    If you're enthusiastic and want to make a difference- this place will kill that enthusiasm and make you want to never work in a library again. You'll be left disillusioned and unhappy. You will feel personally victimized by the people in charge.
    If you have a problem with a manager, there really isn't anywhere to turn. There is no way to make an anonymous complaint and if they know who you are, you will be punished for it. Lots of managers have done things that should have gotten them fired, but as long as they do it to someone below them, it's fine. They only get fired if they do something to people above them.

Advice to Management

Stop being condescending to your employees. Learn to take criticism. Stop congratulating yourself- you did NOT improve communication. Your Suggestion Ox consists mostly of you being condescending jerks to your employees when they try to give you constructive criticism.
    Please learn to respect your employees. So many quality people have left because of how they're treated.
    Stop making stupid changes- there was no reason to remove the Help Desk, it was a very logical system and no one ever complained about it. The do complain about the new system, and that is NOT the employees' fault, it is YOUR FAULT.
    Promote people who do a good job. Don't do it based on how much they agree with you. Stop hiring from outside when you have plenty of people within who deserve promotions. Ask the employees to rate the manager you want to promote- we know them best, and you clearly can't figure out who the best fit is on your own.
    Understand that every employee has something different to bring. Also understand that you cannot have employees that can teach computer programming and Photoshop if you don't pay them for those skills. If you're going to pay customer service salaries, then you aren't going to have computer programmers. IT people never seem to last long because they aren't paid for what they do, and the same applies to associates.

8. "Don't think twice about joining the IT team"

I worked at Gwinnett County Public Library full-time

Pros

Most of the staff at the branches outside of Lawrenceville were nice to work with.

Cons

long work hours, no appreciation for work that is performed, management issues from the top down

Advice to Management

Get a system administrator that knows what they are doing.

9. "Library Assistant"

I worked at Gwinnett County Public Library full-time

Pros

Yow will enjoy the customers and the staff members.

Cons

Close at 8 pm and you have to work on Sundays.

10. "Nice Place to Work"

Pros

I really like my coworkers at the branch. Dealing with the public can be stressful, but my coworkers and supervisors always back me up if things get bad. Easy to get in touch with the people that I need to. Relatively casual work environment. This is definitely one of the better library systems I have worked for.

Cons

I think the HQ employees don't ask for enough input from branch staff before they decide to change something; especially when it is something that will make for more work branch staff. We matter too! I also think branches should have more control over their collections and technology. It can make people feel helpless when they have to send everything to IT or Materials.