Gwinnett County Public Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 22, 2019

3.7
J. Alvin Wilbanks

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great benefits and supplementary medical and financial planning options" (in 7 reviews)

• "Great benefits, retirement is a plus, great people, helping the future" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Parents, low pay, and lack of recognition for hard work by administration" (in 5 reviews)

• "Gwinnett County has a shortage because management needs a true overhaul and they talk to you any kind of way, as if you are children" (in 4 reviews)

1. "GREAT SCHOOL SYSTEM"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Buford, GA

I have been working at Gwinnett County Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Teachers seem generally happy and have a lot of resources and support from administrators and parents.

Cons

I don't have any negatives to report

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. I have subbed at different schools every day this school year and have really enjoyed it!

2. "Worked long term as well."

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Buford, GA

I have been working at Gwinnett County Public Schools part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, ok pay, plan your schedule

Cons

have to wait for a job, no benefits

3. "I enjoy working for GCPS."

Current Employee - Art Teacher in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Art Teacher in Lawrenceville, GA

Pros

Time off is nice in summers

Cons

Work load can be tough. Teacher life.

4. "Luck of the draw"

Former Employee - Teacher in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Norcross, GA

I worked at Gwinnett County Public Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good, performance based pay rewards teachers with best scores, step increases yearly with proficient evaluation, professional learning opportunities, ISC staff is always very professional and helpful.

Cons

Data (test scores) takes precedence over everything, admin are slow to address student behavior if at all, admin can be tyrannical because there is little accountability (no union in GA) in regards to how they treat staff (test scores are what matter) which causes massive turnover and hurts school and students. Your principal and grade level AP (and the one who evaluated you) will make or break your school year. School climate can be poor if you have a tyrant or a sexist man for a principal. Women do the most important work yet they hire unqualified men to fill principal and AP roles just because they’ve got degrees. Subs are paid poorly so they often sub in other counties for more money. Schools are often very boring to work at at the middle school level since testing and data are the primary focus (few assemblies, field trips, no field days, no recess, no movies at holidays, no parties, etc). It probably feels like jail for students.

Advice to Management

You have been looking at teacher attrition for 3-4 years, yet every year you are hiring 400+ teachers. You have roles you can’t fill because you allow your principals to treat their teachers poorly and you do not hold them accountable. Stop giving us surveys about our experiences with our school leadership every year in January if you’re not going to address them. Yes, you can pay teachers more, but that means nothing if they are under appreciated and/or bullied by their principals. Stop trying to silence teachers. Please stop asking the TAC why teachers are leaving and doing nothing to fix it. It gets old. We’re tired of seeing the minutes of things you aren’t fixing. Work on hiring more diverse admin who may actually understand the demographic of students they work with, especially in South Gwinnett. Pay substitutes more than $91 a day so they don’t drop our jobs to sub in Fulton.

5. "Gwinnett County Public Schools"

Current Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Suwanee, GA
    Current Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Suwanee, GA

I have been working at Gwinnett County Public Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

State retirement plan, variety of schools, competitive salary with other districts

Cons

Poor transfer policy, very hands-on (micromanagement)

6. "Great school district"

Current Employee - Teacher

Pros

Organized, great schools, very supportive administration

Cons

I enjoy everything about my job except for the pay

"Good school system"

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Gwinnett County Public Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Mostly very forward-thinking, relative to other districts in Georgia. Very multicultural. Lots of passionate teachers. Mostly free of the nepotism and hiring of people that go to the same church/sorority/etc as in other metro Atlanta districts. Seemingly endless funds for materials and activities, relative to other Georgia school districts.

Cons

As is typical in education anywhere, school administration can be incompetent and/or interested in advancing their careers and at times become vindictive towards teachers for what they may perceive as slights, disloyalty, etc. District-level higher ups are largely absent from schools and rarely, if ever, talk with/listen to teachers or students. Classes can become very large... for example, I have 48 students in two different classes this year and a teacher down the hall has 52 in one class. This is never remedied despite repeated attempts and begging of administration. Truancy is endemic and rarely dealt with.

Advice to Management

Visit your schools and talk to your teachers and students. Open up an anonymous ethics hotline so faculty can sound alarms on unethical behavior.

"The principal can make or break a school."

Current Employee - Media Specialist
    Current Employee - Media Specialist

Pros

Media Services is wonderful.
    The schools are well maintained and support is offered to teachers and students.

Cons

The principal at each school really affects the school culture and the success of the school. In my case, I had a horrible experience because of the principal. Instead of eliminating the source of the problem, the county kept hiring more assistant principals to make up for her ineffective and often abusive leadership. Employees were forced to stay and endure or leave.

Advice to Management

I think the leadership academy is not effective in ensuring that its graduates have the necessary skills and personalities to lead. If an academy graduate is not successful, it would be best to remove them from the position, rather than let them seriously damage a school. Sometimes things don't work out and it would best for the county to admit this, rather than to compound mistakes.

9. "Excellent! Need more subs!"

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Buford, GA
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Buford, GA

I worked at Gwinnett County Public Schools part-time (More than a year)

Pros

At the Ivy Creek Elementary there is a lot of collaboration among the staff.

Cons

Need more substitute teachers. We could all be paid more.

10. "Excelent"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher

I have been working at Gwinnett County Public Schools part-time

Pros

I love the schedule here

Cons

Its hard to get in the system