Gym Source Reviews | Glassdoor

Richard Miller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Sales"

I worked at Gym Source full-time

Pros

Great products available to the retail market! No micromanaging or negative management. Great coworkers and vendors to work with every day!

Cons

Slow growth. Very little activity in the summer months. Not too much negative things to report. Could use more vacation time...

Advice to Management

Improve and shorten training time. Consider a plan that supports a reduced hours schedule in the summer due to the lower store traffic.

2. "Favoritism abounds"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Teterboro, NJ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Teterboro, NJ

I worked at Gym Source full-time

Pros

Coworkers were some of the best ever. I honestly enjoyed working with all of them! They're the only ones I miss.

Cons

The favoritism in this place is choking and totally defeating. Glad to be gone because I found a better job directly across the street at a much higher rate of pay.

Advice to Management

Rein in your managers and tell them to treat people like human beings. You won't get productivity from people who are defeated.

"Ok to work for - but be prepared for 'season' vs 'off-season'"

Former Employee - Dispatch Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Dispatch Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Gym Source (More than a year)

Pros

Long time company with multiple locations but this can also be a drawback as the locations are a little close together. Rapid movement possible - but not common.

Cons

Season means no vacation days from late Oct through late April. At the most, you can request one day off as vacation.

Advice to Management

Look closer at the individual locations and if there actually is money in the area prior to opening a store there. Also, don't use slow moving stores as 'dumping' grounds for employees that are already on the edge of losing their job - everyone in the company is aware of what those stores are.

"Great company!"

Pros

Very competitive pay with a lot of extra incentives.
    Low stress work environment.
    Great training program

Cons

Work schedule, as with many commission sales positions, weekends are a priority to work.

"Stay Away!!!"

Former Employee - Sales in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Sales in Rockville, MD

I worked at Gym Source full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get paid to work. They provide a work space and decent equipment to sell.

Cons

Honorable company with extremely high turn over. 200% in the past year. Harassment from Mid Atlantic warehouse regional manager and warehouse staff. No support from store management. Drug and alcohol issues from top to bottom. Dishonest hiring practices. Will not hire minorities in specific markets. Upper management hacking into employee personal email accounts. Constant high level of unhealthy stress put upon staff as they try to get adjusted to job dynamics.

Advice to Management

Sell the company or fire all staff and start over again. The current owner has created a very narcissistic environment.

"Sales"

I have been working at Gym Source full-time

Pros

Great work environment, with helpful colleagues

Cons

Slow summer business in westchester area

"Stay Away!!!!"

Former Employee - "retail" Sales in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - "retail" Sales in Miami, FL

I worked at Gym Source (More than 3 years)

Pros

All of the pros are from the consumer side. Gym Source does sell a quality product and service and has a good reputation in the industry. From an ex-employee perspective there are no pros to mention.

Cons

Unprofessional organization that uses unethical hiring practices. They grossly over state the potential earnings for the Florida market. They told me i could expect 50k-90k earning potential and it is not true. The only reason I am writing this review is to protect a potential employee from not being able to feed their family after projecting those earnings. It is simple math. You will not be able to sell at a high margin due to the number of sales they run, just google Gym Source sale and I guarantee you will find one. You will average 4.5%-5% commission at best so do the calculations and don't believe the 50k-90k. For FL stores the million $ mark is a good mark. You will work with at least one other person. If you do half the sales which also will not happen with an established employee in the store you will sell 500,000 X 5% max = 25k + 24K base = 49k MAX. The bonus structure is also borderline non existent so do not count on that.

Beyond that their is no leadership, appraisal system, employee development, or room for growth. You will be expected to do the job of a small business development manager, project manager, and account manager but be restricted by being paid and treated as a retail employee. They also expect you to do alot of work for free, i.e. check salesforce, email, attend training, go to customers homes on your own time with no reimbursement for any of the expenses while you are also losing potential sales by not being in the store.

Don't believe the hype and realize that the good reviews on here were all posted within 2 months of each other.......that's usually a tell tell sign that they can't be counted on.

The people hiring you are ex-sales people with the company so they will sell you,focus on the verifiable facts and come to your own conclusion based on facts, not blank promises.

Advice to Management

Empower your employees to do their jobs correctly. You will not grow significantly if you continue to treat them as retail employees but expect them do perform functions outside of your typical retail position.

You have continuous employees leaving in the FL market for a reason. You can not tell employees to expect 50k-90k when it is just not possible. I kept looking for a job after I was hired and left because I did the simple math and realized I was misled and couldn't pay my bills off of this horrible sales structure.

8. "Phenomenal experience"

Former Employee - Purchasing Manager
    Former Employee - Purchasing Manager

I worked at Gym Source full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ownership
    The way employees are treated and valued
    Growth potential for people who work hard
    Vacation time

Cons

I do not have any cons.

9. "Great Job, Great People"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Gym Source full-time

Pros

I have met great people here. Someone is always willing to help. Great quality products to sell. The store environment
    and the company culture allow you to provide an abundance of services to your customers, as well as give them plenty of your time and attention. Selling health and fitness can be a fulfilling experience/career.

Cons

Late Hours. Work Holidays. Work Weekends.

"Excellent Opportunity"

Current Employee - Sales in Peabody, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Peabody, MA

I have been working at Gym Source full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you enjoy the fitness industry, no better place to work. You get to learn about the newest equipment coming out before anyone else. The more competitive you are the better. Pay is great, the harder you work the more money you make. You get to use your own personality in order to help you succeed, almost like you are running your own store!

Cons

Working weekends and holidays would have to be the biggest downfall, however that is when you will make the most money. Not much room for growth, it is a sales job, so you can increase your connections and sales over the years. However not much room to advance your "title"

Advice to Management

Encourage growth within company.